Official Blog- Recreation Time

Qwertyuiop

The Blog said:
Recreation Time

I have no idea whether any of you is interested in what I write right now - but well, if you are not, don't read up :)

This may not be the Pandora news you're all waiting for. But for me, it's an important event, so I thought it will fit in the devblog here as well.

I'm currently on a short vacation. Only for four days... but it's the first vacation I have since we started the whole project... and boy, this has been a loooong time.

And I guess I really needed it. I didn't think it was that bad, but it looks like I was totally exhausted.
There were so many things I wanted to do during the last few weeks: Finish up Hotfix 4, update the website with more information for developers, write blog posts about what's happening, do Tutorial videos, etc.
Every night I wanted to do it... but I couldn't. Either I just browsed the web because I really wasn't in the mood or I just fell asleep in front of my PC. I was totally out of strength and I was down - and I'm usually one of the guys who's almost always happy :)

I just spent a whole day in Mallorca at the beach - and I'm already feeling my strength coming back to me. I worked on more things for the Hotfix - directly on my Pandora, and I'm finally having fun again doing that!

I can feel how life is flowing back into me. A few more days, and I'm ready again! Ready to solder thousands of LCD cables. Ready to face all problems we may encounter!

I also learnt something else: There's more in life than a Pandora. A lot more. Yes, the nubs caused a bit of a delay and we don't know when production will finally speed up... so what?
The Pandora won't be a worse device because of that.
The board manufacturer as well as the nub company are working together to solve that issue. I'm sure they will find a fix - and once that's done... everything will should speed up!
I'd rather wait one or two weeks longer and have a proper solution, than shipping out as fast as we can and getting back tons of Pandoras because the nubs break.

Everyone who's desperately waiting for the Pandora now and starts to shout and cry because it takes a few weeks more: Get a break! It really helped me. And it helped Gruso (a long-term and nice member of gp32x.de), too.
It's really relaxing - and suddenly you realize: The Pandora really is a unique and cool device. And it will still be unique and cool when you get it. You can still play emulators and native games. You can still surf the web with FireFox or Chromium. It will still be open.

Well, so much for day one here directly from my hotel room.
Maybe I'll write some more tomorrow.

And when I'm back next Wednesday, I'm most probably back with full strength - doing all the things I wanted to do weeks ago. And give you more real updates about where the rest of the Pandoras are.

Last but not least, I took a little picture at the beach. Nothing special, but fans of classic games might smile a bit :)
http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=2&lang=en

It's good to see Evildragon having fun on his (well needed) vacation! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, brilliant picture. :lol:

I'm really glad to see you're having a good time out there, ED. :D

Eep! I cringed when I saw that picture. Glad you're enjoying your time off ED -- you deserve it. :)

A vacation seems like it would be one of the coolest usage scenarios for a Pandora... I've got one coming up in exactly 2 months, here's to hoping I get to try it out. :D

I'm not that worried about some sand near (maybe even some grains on) a pandora. Sand is just stuff you can wipe off it (or in the worst case open it + wipe off the PCB :p) and propably all will be fine. So I dont see a problem in using pandora on a sand surface like in the picture. I personally wouldnt do anything crazy though (like submerging a pandora in sand).

But yeah, so jealous of ED :p, I'm in need of a vacation too... Still good to see read that he's getting back his strength :D

wermy said:
I've got one coming up in exactly 2 months, here's to hoping I get to try it out. :D
Same here, oddly enough. Maybe we should try to bring back holiday snaps of the Pandoras, too? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Burnout is serious stuff, it's very nice you found a way to compensate :) And we told you you should sleep more, but you didn't want to hear it ;)

Glad you can have some chill time ED, It's important to stay happy! I have at least one full day of chill a week sometimes two if life permits.

:lol: OMG I guess when you create something your not too scared if it will brake, I am so careful with my Pandora never even seen a grain of dirt. I'm sure one day it will end up with me at the beach though

Okay this is nice idea, I am also taking a break from the forums :D

I think for about 6 months :) (my work has kind of been straining by it and I am doing my PhD research and I have so much to do before I finish in half a year) Luckily I have my pandora to type parts of my booklet on and hopefully it will work.

See you in 6 months :D

This post brought a smile on my face. That's nice to read that ED is finally taking some time for himself, and that he realizes all the mini-dramas on those forums are just so small compared to real life.

Have fun ED! :)

I'm not on holiday yet, but this is what my desk looks like at weekend:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsh2/sets/72157624627652724/

i wish i had a pandora to throw around into beach sand....

The sand wouldn't worry me... but the salt and water in, on and around that sand would scare the crap out of me. You're just asking for rusty internals, no matter how dry the sand looks, not to mention if they get into an SD contact, keypad, nub, etc. or even into one of the external ports.

This is excellent, well deserved, and well needed. Go ED! Take as long a break as you need. More people ought to realise that sometimes doing nothing (or doing something Completely Different) is the necessary thing to do in order to move forward with whatever you "ought" to do.

And burnout is bad stuff. Better vacation than sorry, as we say :)

Back