Official Blog Post

fusion_power said:
EvilDragon said:
Longest time is probably taking assembly, so until we got a bit of routine assembling the Pandoras there's no way to tell how fast we can assemble.
Hmm, good Question. ^^ How fast can YOU assemble a complete Pandora including sensitive LCD-ribbon-roll? ;)

I won't assemble a complete Pandora, as there are different assembly station and each one does a different thing ;)

Last edited:
WizardStan said:
What if they aren't magicians because they are actually robots?
There's nothing stopping them from being both - just ask Magic Man. :p

Magic_Man_Sprite.png

Attachments

• Magic_Man_Sprite.png
    Magic_Man_Sprite.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
Hmm, good Question. ^^ How fast can YOU assemble a complete Pandora including sensitive LCD-ribbon-roll? ;)
Someone has to brew the coffee, after all :p

mali said:
fusion_power said:

That what IV's are for, with maple syrup type feed lines to your local coffee shop. Let the pro's make the coffee.

Caine said:
You claim WiFi issues have been resolved.

Should I read this as that you believe 606 KB/s is a decent speed for 802.11g or that you're confident that the remaining speed improvements are all software related?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that MWeston managed to achieve a usable WiFi speed. However, we ordered a device with an 802.11b/g chip, not just an 802.11b.

Before starting to complain maybe we should compare to other devices.
My nokia n800 which is known for it's great wifi range tops at about 700KB/s. (and it is 802.11g)

I really doubt most of the smartphone out there get a lot better than this. After all power consumption / range and stability are often more considered important.

My only small worry about the Pandora wifi is the wifi range and the stability.

Lingman said:
mali said:
fusion_power said:

That what IV's are for, with maple syrup type feed lines to your local coffee shop. Let the pro's make the coffee.
:D
Win... Such high level...
128733470418286660.jpg

Finally - a new blog post. Did take a real long time, since there was so much we needed to figure out first.

At the moment, we got fullspeed Amiga 500 emulation (without frameskip) at 500MHz, fullspeed Genesis and MegaCD, fullspeed C64 (Vice!) on 500 MHz without any frameskip, VCS2600, Colecovision, Atari ST, ... tons of stuff to play. Skeezix is also porting PocketSNES, so fullspeed SNES will also work when you get your unit.
PandoraPanic (minigames created by members of the gp32x.de community) is working nice, FreeDink, some PyGame-Games, etc. have also been ported already.

Is Vice running smoothly at 60fps with realsid on or is it the same as GP2X version which had in game skipping and pausing problems which made games unplayable, therefore you had to use fastsid. This is important to me as fullspeed and flawless emulation of 8bit computers is the most important reason I want a Pandora.

Hirolaser said:
Finally - a new blog post. Did take a real long time, since there was so much we needed to figure out first.

At the moment, we got fullspeed Amiga 500 emulation (without frameskip) at 500MHz, fullspeed Genesis and MegaCD, fullspeed C64 (Vice!) on 500 MHz without any frameskip, VCS2600, Colecovision, Atari ST, ... tons of stuff to play. Skeezix is also porting PocketSNES, so fullspeed SNES will also work when you get your unit.
PandoraPanic (minigames created by members of the gp32x.de community) is working nice, FreeDink, some PyGame-Games, etc. have also been ported already.

Is Vice running smoothly at 60fps with realsid on or is it the same as GP2X version which had in game skipping and pausing problems which made games unplayable, therefore you had to use fastsid. This is important to me as fullspeed and flawless emulation of 8bit computers is the most important reason I want a Pandora.
+1

EvilDragon said:
fusion_power said:
EvilDragon said:
Longest time is probably taking assembly, so until we got a bit of routine assembling the Pandoras there's no way to tell how fast we can assemble.

I won't assemble a complete Pandora, as there are different assembly station and each one does a different thing ;)
I thought, you tested this with your own Pandora model. ;)

Ed,
I've asked a straight forward question in the thread twice now as it related to your post about the boards shipping . I did'nt want to start another thread but I'm concerned you've not answered a simple question.

Is the intention to assemble the remaining 3,300 in one go while in the UK from next week after the initial xxx are done? You say you don't know how long it will take to assemble them which is fine but you must have a finite amount of time you guys can devote to time away from your homes and places of work ?

Just looking for straight "we stay till all 4000 are done " or " we disperse at the end of the initial xxx and build them as individuals after that.

any they don't finish will be thrown in the crusher

or

ED isn't sure

or

they build as many as possible while training up some people to build em, then the staff finish the rest off

or

Craig is planning on finding a UK assembler (hence the trip to Scotland) and they will make batch 2 and the rest of batch 1

or

Dr who is going too get the Cybermen to make em

or

the Pixies did it

or

they will be assembled in two months :p

you might have asked a straight forward question, but maybe nobody knows, and nobody is going to give a tentative reply that will get ripped to shreds the first time OP have to make some change, it doesn't matter HOW they get made, as long as they get made.

edit: spolling mistook

ging said:
Ed,
I've asked a straight forward question in the thread twice now as it related to your post about the boards shipping . I did'nt want to start another thread but I'm concerned you've not answered a simple question.

Is the intention to assemble the remaining 3,300 in one go while in the UK from next week after the initial xxx are done? You say you don't know how long it will take to assemble them which is fine but you must have a finite amount of time you guys can devote to time away from your homes and places of work ?

Just looking for straight "we stay till all 4000 are done " or " we disperse at the end of the initial xxx and build them as individuals after that.
I'm pretty sure they have said in the past it will be a back N forth kind of assembly. They will only get small deliveries after the first 700-1000, and I'm fairly sure they all have day jobs, and won't be staying at Craigs for months at a time. It could take 2-3 months for all the parts for 4000 units to arrive. No one is gonna hang around waiting for all those parts to arrive! Craig should have local help, so when the key members aren't there, work can continue.

Chris

ging said:
Ed,

Look, anything I do know for sure is posted in the blog.
Everything else would just be speculation - and that's something you can do yourself.
No need to ask the same thing twice or even more often. If I don't answer, I don't know.

Last edited:
ED have previously said that he will be traveling back to Germany once or twice per week (IIRC) sounds to me like he plans to be a part of the whole 4000, or as many as possible anyway. I imagine they will keep assembly going 7 days a week until all 4000 are completed, probably with people coming and going.

I think the trip to Scotland was to find a factory that could populate the boards. I think Craig will have invested too much into that town hall to not continue using it. Unless of course he is only renting the machines etc for the first batch.

EvilDragon said:
ging said:
Ed,

Look, anything I do know for sure is posted in the blog.
Everything else would just be speculation - and that's something you can do yourself.
No need to ask the same thing twice or even more often. If I don't answer, I don't know.

Well responding with an "I don't know." is better then ignoring the question all together.

^ ED does a pretty good job regarding communication and some things are really so obvious that you can find out yourself ;)

Back