Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

I finished 3 levels with no problem.  Didn't try the whole game though.
its an erratic problem and has been well documented also doesnt have any antialaising so saturn graphics look horrid on hd tvs

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry trashy mg can u delete these posts where this conversation started please was jst a disccusion

^ no worries, the massive quote pyramid is now under control I see.

Topic back on.. so how about them shields.. If anything at least seeing how Doom3 works on the shield gives us an idea what the future Pandora successor holds if one will come to be. 

OMG, I went to the Gamestop Expo in Vegas today, and out of all the stuff I saw, Shield was the most impressive. The build quality and screen details where SICK! PS4 and ONE where just more of the same(at least what was shown), but Shield just felt magical. 

As much as I love the Vita, this thing just says, "GAMES". Having proper shoulder buttons and bumpers is Awesome, and the L3 and R3 buttons is what sets this apart from the Vita. I won't even compare this to the 3DS, as that device is missing a second analog stick, so that is completely aimed at a different market.

I was super impressed to finally hold this unit and get to try it out. Anyone who doesn't love this device is crazy. I still think it is very ugly while closed, but once it is opened and you hold that controller in your hands, you know some serious thought went in to the making of this thing. It just screams I'm for playing games, and to hell with anything else.

I can't wait to finally get mine, and fire up some of those cool emu's and Tegra 4 Android games.

Chris

A Dreamcast emulator would make the Shield perfect either that or Sega ports Dreamcast games to Android (possible but not likely). Need my dosage of sonic adventure. I see no reason why the Shield Couldn't run a dreamcast Emulator flawlessly. Hopefully Nuldce is completed or Lxdream is ported. Plus the controls of the shield are similar to the Dreamcast.

Anyone who doesn't love this device is crazy
I agree! Mine showed up a few hours ago and it was love at first sight. I don't really have any free time at the moment to play with it unfortunately. All I've really done was play sonic 4 and mess around with retroarch.

For some reason I can't get PC streaming to work, it seems stubborn as all hell. My desktop is better than good enough, it just doesn't seem to feel like it. I wanted to try to record PCSX2 streaming but I guess it'll have to wait.

Also I was thinking a while ago that it wouldn't be that much better than my Archos Gamepad for android apps and emus but was I wrong!

Anyone who doesn't love this device is crazy.
Well in my case it just doesn't do what I want it to.. I don't need a pure gaming device. What I love about the Pandora it's the ultimate playing around device.. tweak code, compile it on the same device.. Mess with command line stuff.  I can't do that efficiently with Android nor without a physical keyboard.

Generally for youtube I use YTDownloader w/webm codec or Minitube now that is working again.
How did you make them work? oO
Just downloaded them and used them..

I know what you are saying and this has been debated before, but the truth is the majority of users don't give  damn about coding and commandline stuff.  They let devs worry about making games and emulators. They just want to play new and retro games nice and smooth.

Anyone who doesn't love this device is crazy
I agree! Mine showed up a few hours ago and it was love at first sight. I don't really have any free time at the moment to play with it unfortunately. All I've really done was play sonic 4 and mess around with retroarch.
Yeah, this is the reason I haven't grabbed mine yet. Time is at a premium right now, and if I got the shield, I neither wouldn't have time to use it, or it would take over my life and then I couldn't do anything else. What a dilemma uh? :lol:

Anyone who doesn't love this device is crazy.
Well in my case it just doesn't do what I want it to.. I don't need a pure gaming device. What I love about the Pandora it's the ultimate playing around device.. tweak code, compile it on the same device.. Mess with command line stuff.  I can't do that efficiently with Android nor without a physical keyboard.
This comment was aimed solely at the "gaming" consumer. Comparing this thing to the Pandora is like an "apples and oranges" debate. One is completely for gaming and the other is not. I've never used my Pandora for anything but gaming, but I think it's very cool that so many users can get so much more out of it(naming it Pandora really was the best name for it).

I guess I should have made that comment a little clearer, as it is aimed at the sole gaming device crowds(ds, 3ds, psp, vita, archos pad, ect.).

A Dreamcast emulator would make the Shield perfect either that or Sega ports Dreamcast games to Android (possible but not likely). Need my dosage of sonic adventure. I see no reason why the Shield Couldn't run a dreamcast Emulator flawlessly. Hopefully Nuldce is completed or Lxdream is ported. Plus the controls of the shield are similar to the Dreamcast.
I agree...after all Crazy Taxi works perfectly on it.

The more vids I watch of this thing, and the more I hear from owners ... the more I want one.

Just a bit pricey, not to say I think it's too expensive for what it is, just a bit much for me to splash out on.

Need to get some stuff up on ebay perhaps and pick one up.

The more vids I watch of this thing, and the more I hear from owners ... the more I want one.

Just a bit pricey, not to say I think it's too expensive for what it is, just a bit much for me to splash out on.

Need to get some stuff up on ebay perhaps and pick one up.
I'm selling my iPod touch, among other things, but 300 is a bargain for this thing, TRUST ME! Both the Vita and 3DS and tablets for that matter, have been 300 or close to it at some point, and this beast has better quality than any of them. The only thing I wasn't able to experience was the speaker quality, due to noise on the show floor, but it is the one thing I see everyone say is awesome, so I'm not worried.

"I'd call that a bargain, the best I ever had"

-Pete Townshend

Sorry, I couldn't resist :D

Chris

I got an Humble Bundle for Android (only because the PC-ports were included)

and have absolutely no experience with smartphones or other Android systems,

so I got a simple question and would be thankful, if you guys could answer me that:

Is it possible to use the Shield without having any Google marketplace or whatever account, just by loading apks into it?

I never was online with my 3DS-XL and would not buy a game or gamesystem, were you are forced to this, so it matters to me.

(Yeah, I'm one of that "on principle" guys, no need to comment that ;) .

Second question: I read, that it needs micro sd (yuck), what is the biggest card datawise you can use with it?

I got an Humble Bundle for Android (only because the PC-ports were included)

and have absolutely no experience with smartphones or other Android systems,

so I got a simple question and would be thankful, if you guys could answer me that:

Is it possible to use the Shield without having any Google marketplace or whatever account, just by loading apks into it?

I never was online with my 3DS-XL and would not buy a game or gamesystem, were you are forced to this, so it matters to me.

(Yeah, I'm one of that "on principle" guys, no need to comment that ;) .

Second question: I read, that it needs micro sd (yuck), what is the biggest card datawise you can use with it?
Can't guarantee this for the Shield... but I have a number of other Android devices so expect to be the same case.

You don't _have_ to create a gmail/google account to use the device, you need to though if you want to access the Google Play store to d/l apps and games though.

So, I'd imagine you can source an .APK of another app place, like 1mobile, and then d/l from there.

Or of course just get the .APK for any apps you want.

Android comes with an option within its settings to allow installation of .APK from unknown sources - which includes direct from your memory card

I'd be interested in someone confirming this is correct too.

i think it depends if you need to download other data ie shadowgun dead trigger then you may need a google account

Back