Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

I think that the hardware keyboards are history. Why you will ever need a hardware keyboard on device with capacitive multi touch screen ?
Because it's much easier to type with tactile feedback. Proven to be easier and less mistakes.
Well, for me the touch keyboard is working just fine and I have only a limited experience with multi touch devices. This hardware keyboards are just a legacy from the good old resistive screen devices.

I think that the hardware keyboards are history. Why you will ever need a hardware keyboard on device with capacitive multi touch screen ?
Aww-Yeah-meme-1.png

Because it's much easier to type with tactile feedback. Proven to be easier and less mistakes.
Well, for me the touch keyboard is working just fine and I have only a limited experience with multi touch devices. This hardware keyboards are just a legacy from the good old resistive screen devices.
You serious? The vocal nerds of boards.openpandora.org happen to like resistive screens and real keyboards!

If you don't, buy an iPhone.

There are some post in this thread about the lack of hardware keyboard on the Shield so

my point is that the Shield or any new portable device do not need a hardware Pandora like keyboard because their software on screen keyboards are good enough and Nvidia already know that :)

I hate to say that but think the Shield is going to be a HUGE WIN even if they put it in the Pandora`s price category. 

^^ Disagree,  I find capacitive screens real easy to type on.  They also have the advantage of being customizable which is awesome for foreign language keyboard configs.  

The real issue I have with touch keyboards on a small screen is that they take up a lot of screen space.  That really is the issue these days, for me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also disagree capacitive is the way to go physical on a handheld isnt viable anymore

touchscreen lack the necessary feedback you get from physical touch. they're only good for light typing...

The real issue I have with touch keyboards on a small screen is that they take up a lot of screen space.
The biggest issue I have with controls on a touchscreen I have is that they don't give any tactile feedback and don't have any borders or edges I could orientate my fingers blindly, so I can't be certain I am hitting the right key (without taking a look) especially not it "hectic" gaming situations

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/09/nvidia-ceos-seven-year-journey-to-make-project-shield-portable-gaming-device-exclusive-interview/

Here's an nice informative interview with Jen-Hsun Huang. He says they are going to release a new model every year! So that says to me that these will be very expensive. They are basically going to follow their graphics chip pricing structure. So I guess I'll be able to afford this thing when the new one comes out next year with any luck.

He does say that it will be priced like an android device, but that doesn't mean much. There are android devices that cost more than top of the line graphics cards.

^^ Disagree,  I find capacitive screens real easy to type on.  They also have the advantage of being customizable which is awesome for foreign language keyboard configs.  

The real issue I have with touch keyboards on a small screen is that they take up a lot of screen space.  That really is the issue these days, for me anyway.
I share this opinion, and an extra screen just for the keyboard would probably kill battery greatly.

I don't get why there's so much talk about the lack of hardware keyboard on this.  It's aimed solely at playing games, unlike the Pandora.  It's VERY rare that I ever need to input text while playing an android, ios, or even console game in general.  Usually just to enter a character name or something, or occasionally typing something to another player.  I don't think having to use a software keyboard will be a big deal at all in this case.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/09/nvidia-ceos-seven-year-journey-to-make-project-shield-portable-gaming-device-exclusive-interview/

Here's an nice informative interview with Jen-Hsun Huang. He says they are going to release a new model every year! So that says to me that these will be very expensive. They are basically going to follow their graphics chip pricing structure. So I guess I'll be able to afford this thing when the new one comes out next year with any luck.

He does say that it will be priced like an android device, but that doesn't mean much. There are android devices that cost more than top of the line graphics cards.
Awesome!

Back