Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Awesome specs, yeah... but I also don't really like the design... well, if you could even call it design.

A Sony Controller with a screen attached ;)
It looks pretty solid, which is the important point. ;)

To be honest, the Design looks better than our Pandora, so we should not complain about the design. Just add an Keyboard and you have my Idea of an "Pandora 2" Design. :D  And if Tegra 4 really offers such huge battery times, then I guess we have one valid candidate for future Handheld projects.

We also should find out how NVidia plans to support native Android games with the Handheld controlls, including Analog Nubs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome specs, yeah... but I also don't really like the design... well, if you could even call it design.

A Sony Controller with a screen attached ;)
It looks pretty solid, which is the important point. ;)

To be honest, the Design looks better than our Pandora, so we should not complain about the design. Just add an Keyboard and you have my Idea of an "Pandora 2" Design. :D

And if Tegra 4 really offers such huge battery times, then I guess we have one valid candidate for future Handheld projects.
maybe but I have read that nvidia only deals on large volumes, thats why you dont see alot of tegra 3 china tabs

up to 10 hour game play, as long as it can get over 5 I'd be happy. Hope this doesn't turn into another panasonic jungle

What is not to understand? It looks like an excellent product for playing Android games on the go. They could sell a million easily if they marketed it right.

What percentage of Android games will work with hardware controllers?

I've wanted better controls on handhelds for a while, but this looks like a weird compromise.. hard to put my finger on it exactly, just seems awkward. Touch controls are going to be especially weird, weirder than they are on Pandora and I assume this will support full multitouch for Android.

The thing that really stands out to me is the huge battery capacity - surely at that point they're adding a lot of weight and volume to the device just for the battery. For the low end figure of 5 hours that means it'll be drawing 7.6W in that relatively constrained area; much less spread out than a 10-inch tablet. Some of that will be going out behind the screen but not nearly enough of it. I don't see how this thing can avoid getting really hot. It's not like they put a fan in it, although they did put in a pretty big heatsink.

Still seems interesting though, could be a good fit if they price it reasonably.

The design is a bit messy, but it is pretty intriguing.

If the controller part could have been swapped out for one with a keyboard....!

I don't need a hardware keyboard but with design like this it will be difficult to use the screen keyboard with 2 hands. This is the only downfall for me.

Looking forward to see the price.

Nice, but not a pandora competitor - It runs a smartphone OS, lacks a keyboard and isn't going to fit in your pocket.

I'd rather have a netbook and an iControlpad.

At first I thought it enabled you to play steam games on the go, which would be awesome, but in the video (thanks monstercameron) he says you have to  not only be in your home to stream over wifi but you also have to have a nvidia gtx card in your pc. Not nearly as excited now, but I still want one if it's affordable. Hopefully in the near future they will get it streaming through the internet.

Also wanted to say that I too thought it was ugly in the rendering but in the video, the real thing looks better. Plus, I don't really care if it's ugly as long as it's comfortable to hold. The pandora and my ds both make my hands/fingers hurt. I'll take function over form any day.

dsc03582.jpg

pocketability = cargo pockets

For now, all we know about that is that it won't be in line with the subsidized console market. "There's a lot of tech in there," an NVIDIA rep told us, pointing out the device's many functions.
ok, not going to be affordable then. I'll pass...

Can't wait for the APIs.

Hopefully it will be a simple matter of dropping in a jar and updating yer input class.

Nice knowing you Pandora :) Notaz work on Android was seminal in my move to Android.

Oh wait. It's not a handheld Linux PC. Ah well, we will always have that :)

I reckon if the OP team did not have to endure the shit-storm, from day one, they have had, we would be looking a multi-core Pandora right now. A9s with Mali400 are going for less than £100 right now. None have membrane Spectrum+ style keyboards though....

I know it wouldn't be Android (big mistake ED) but it would at least be Ubuntu Touch. For less than the price of a new 1ghz Pandora.

I enjoyed the ride.

Nice, but not a pandora competitor - It runs a smartphone OS, lacks a keyboard and isn't going to fit in your pocket.

I'd rather have a netbook and an iControlpad.

The os is just software, and I would think could be done with enough talent from the community. *pandora's os is community driven*

That just leaves the keyboard... one feature that might not be *that* important to gamers.

I don't know... the list of things they have in common really make me disagree with your statement.

-clamshell design

-game controls

-arm processor

-touch screen

-analog controls

-shoulder buttons

-long battery life

-tv out

-high quality audio

-large display

-standard USB otg port

-large pocketable (cargo pocket)

EDIT: pandora compared to xbox 360 controller (roughly same size according to their presentation)

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/36179-xbox-360-controller-vs-openpandora

The list goes on... the only thing missing is the keyboard, (EDIT: & 2nd sd slot) but for all its other features / improvements you would almost say it makes up for it

-L2&R2 buttons > L1 & R1 buttons

-analog sticks > nubs

-bigger / higher resolution screen (5.0" 1280x720 > 4.3" 800x480)

-more ergonomic design

-much faster processor (cortex A15 > cortex A8)

-HDMI > composite (no retail cables)

All comes down to how they price it if you ask me... this might be a major blow to the Pandora.

Back