Nvidia Apx 2500

MyNameIsEarlB

Still Fresh
I Think they should wait to release this for a little longer, and put the NVIDIA GPX 2500 chip inside the device, that would give it a fighting chance, when they come out with the next gen handhelds...

Here is the link

uh, so? it plays quake 3, big deal... the previous generation of the chip pandora is using played quake 3 even...
besides, they cant just swap out the graphic accelerator chip, its a system on a chip, meaning the cpu/dsp/gpu are integrated.

Top quality first post! <_<

I spotted a grand total of 4 buttons and a wheel on the linked device....considering one of those buttons was the power button....how exactly do u play quake on it?

Let's say you did delay the Pandora by a few months to incorporate this. By that time, there will be a new whizz-bang CPU out, and someone would suggest delaying the Pandora again to use it. By then, a new type of RAM will be available, and someone will ask to delay the Pandora another couple of months to add it. You see where this is going?

GunPei2X said:
Let's say you did delay the Pandora by a few months to incorporate this. By that time, there will be a new whizz-bang CPU out, and someone would suggest delaying the Pandora again to use it. By then, a new type of RAM will be available, and someone will ask to delay the Pandora another couple of months to add it. You see where this is going?
Yes, but at least if we did keep delaying it we could finish the button poll thread......
Perhaps there could be new buttons by then? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what is going on here? Everyone is praising an SoC where almost nothing is known about it except that it plays Quake 3? Here's news for you: iPhone plays Quake 3. Magic Eye's crappy MMSP2+ SoC is said to have played Quake 3. Even Dell Axim x50v (a PocketPC that's like 5 years old) plays Quake 3. OMAP3530 (that SoC in the Pandora..) can definitely play Quake 3. Is there any evidence that this thing is even more powerful than OMAP3530?

EDIT: ARM11 single core. Pass.

MyNameIsEarlB said:
that would give it a fighting chance, when they come out with the next gen handhelds...
You don't get the Pandora, or this site, at all.

Pandora isn't "fighting" with any handhelds, this gen or next. It's not a mainstream game device, and it's not intended to be. It's a hobbyist's niche product made by hobbyists for hobbyists.

As for the Nvidia Apx 2500 - did you read about it or just look at the Quake 3 screenshot?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/11/nvidia-...ions-processor/

"the chip itself (based on an ARM11 core) able to run at speeds up to 750MHz"

Pandora's CPU normally runs at 600Mhz and has already been clocked at 900Mhz and higher.

The Nvidia is nice, but I see no evidence that it's much better than the OMAP SOC used in Pandora. In fact, it may not even be as good in some respects.

GunPei2X said:
qft

MyNameIsEarlB said:
I Think they should wait to release this for a little longer, and put the NVIDIA GPX 2500 chip inside the device, that would give it a fighting chance, when they come out with the next gen handhelds...

Here is the link

Yeah, This chip is truly brilliant! Quake 3 in your pocket.. great! People should most definitely wait for devices based on it to appear. Devs that use OMAP 3530 are either swindlers trying to get your money for almost nothing or just fools who don't realize they are using a disabled chip in comparison with NVIDIAs outstanding state of the silicon art. So needles to say you shouldn't buy :pandora1: . It's plain madness. Better wait for a proper handheld... Or at least don't preoder a unit from the first batch! Wait for others to confirm it's useless...while I will preoder my :pandora1:
lol :D
I'm sorry in advance.. couldn't stand! :)

Prophet said:
MyNameIsEarlB said:
that would give it a fighting chance, when they come out with the next gen handhelds...
You don't get the Pandora, or this site, at all.

Pandora isn't "fighting" with any handhelds, this gen or next. It's not a mainstream game device, and it's not intended to be. It's a hobbyist's niche product made by hobbyists for hobbyists.

As for the Nvidia Apx 2500 - did you read about it or just look at the Quake 3 screenshot?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/11/nvidia-...ions-processor/

"the chip itself (based on an ARM11 core) able to run at speeds up to 750MHz"

Pandora's CPU normally runs at 600Mhz and has already been clocked at 900Mhz and higher.

The Nvidia is nice, but I see no evidence that it's much better than the OMAP SOC used in Pandora. In fact, it may not even be as good in some respects.

Somewhere I read that a 600Mhz Cortex-A8 is comparable to a 1.1Ghz ARM11...

A little comparison and benchmarks: Cortex-A8 Benchmarks

I'm less than convinced by the APX2500, i notice there is no mention of poly's/second... fundamentally the Nvidia architecture is not suited to handheld devices, it requires far higher memory bandwidth for identical performance... chip-makers such as TI well know this which is why the vast majority are signed up to SGX and other PowerVR cores in preference to ATI & Nvidia solutions.

I think you will be suitably impressed when you get your hands on a pandora for the first time (assuming somebody manages to port some 3d applications which will actually stretch it!)

dmdm said:
I'm less than convinced by the APX2500, i notice there is no mention of poly's/second... fundamentally the Nvidia architecture is not suited to handheld devices, it requires far higher memory bandwidth for identical performance... chip-makers such as TI well know this which is why the vast majority are signed up to SGX and other PowerVR cores in preference to ATI & Nvidia solutions.

I think you will be suitably impressed when you get your hands on a pandora for the first time (assuming somebody manages to port some 3d applications which will actually stretch it!)
I'm of mixed opinions.

They've now released some more specs on the thing:

ARM11 (ARMv6 versus our ARMv7- should give some hints where we stand...)
ULP GeForce (versus our PowerVR SGX...might give them some 3D edge- but if the CPU can't deliver...)
Dedicated MPEG/JPEG decode path (versus our high-end DSP non-specific stuff that can do the same...)

I would have been a bit more interested had they fielded a Cortex core in there instead of the ARM11- might have given it an edge over the Pandora, now it's more of a push with some of the edge really going our way still.

Back