Now that preorders are >1K do we wait for next batch?

second exodous

Advanced Member
So anyone ordering now will the wait be a lot longer? The first batch is 1000 right? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

I guess, Ed could make them in amount steps smaller than 1k and would adjust so that he'd end up with some in stock. ?

A long time ago ED said somewhere that he's calculating with a failure rate of up to 5%. So in the worst case (a part he ordered in 1k pieces has a failure rate of 5%), the first batch threshold was already reached at 950 preorders.
Now according to the preorder stats page [1] there are even ~50 pre-preorders that would precede pretty much anybody else if these people decide to reappear from under their rocks, which would push the preorder limit for a 1k-units batch down to 900.

I'm guessing that ED has already made the necessary preparations to be either able to create a 1.5k batch or to have parts for a 2nd 500 batch ready when he's done shipping the 1st 1k batch. In either case, preoderers >900/950/1000 wouldn't even notice that there's a cut in the production process.

[1] http://p.rdw.se/pyra-preorder.html

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/current-statistics-and-some-predictions.77437/
After the first 950 - 1000 delivered orders, there will be a delay before the production continues (we can only afford those units once we received the final payments for the first 1000, so we can't order more LCDs before).

Except if more LCD has been orderer, 1st batch would be 1000 units max (with a 0% failure).

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/power-memory-and-schematics.78631/
Memory is getting more and more expensive, so I had to order the memory for the mass production right away, otherwise, it could be that it would be twice as expensive!

Do not remember anything about new parts ordering elsewhere.

LCD stock seems to be the bottleneck for a >1000 1st batch. :=(
Bad for the preorderers but pretty good for the project (nice preordering success with such a light advertising).

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/pyra-christmas-update.79120/

No piece of information about LCD ordering delay since they are already in stock.
Might be worth a shot to order 500 more, if enough money is available for of course ...

EDIT: A 1000 units 2nd batch maybe.

The turnaround on the LCDs seemed pretty quick - weeks instead of months. It is also theoretically possible that during the time they can produce and ship the first 1000 units, additional LCDs could be on-hand. I.e. it may not be an actual bottle neck but a parallel work flow once the pre-orders finish paying for their units?

I wonder how many have bought vouchers to cover the rest of the cost, and if doing that is good or bad for ED.

I wonder how many have bought vouchers to cover the rest of the cost, and if doing that is good or bad for ED.
I suspect quite a few. Hopefully it's a good thing, as it implies, hopefully, a commitment to buy.

I have been doing so myself, but even if the Pyra gets cancelled (God forbid), I'll be spending it on other things on the site... Like perhaps a Picade or something. My previous experience buying from there has been great.

I want to buy some, but things aren't working out. I would get a MiST if the Pyra doesn't happen for some reason, and I would have money left over to use toward Retrode stuff.

Where do you find your preorder number?
I was one of them, it just helps a little by funding the initial development stuff Ed has to go through.

Last edited:
Checking the count when you order, and take into account the pre-pre-orders that haven't preordered.

At the end of October, we were at 923, and I reckon the estimate of remaining pre-preorderers not accounted for by then was probably around 50, so that should put you in the first 1000 units built.

I have a same question. i am in 983 i think and there are 50 pre-preorders. maybe mine is in the second batch.

Back