Now That It Is On Its Way...how Much Longer Before Everything Become S

idk761

Still Fresh
Now that it is on its way...How much longer before everything become stable? By this I mean, when will the Emulators, applications, etc, be unusable enough to not notice any frame rate drops or crashes?

I want to buy a Pandora, but proably not the first wave of it, and will probably buy one, once it is easier to get my hands on one

Given how good the user community is - expect stable pretty quick

By this I mean

a) There were some great vids earlier on prior to pre-orders of Mame and Amiga emus working
B) There are shed loads of stable apps which can be ported straight away with not much tweaks from the GP2X
c) There are some great works in progress which after a bit of user testing and help will be quiickly ported - by this i mean things like PSX emulation

The futures bright its a pandora

will be fun to watch what people will eventually do with a pandora and how far it can be pushed. im hoping for some commercial grade applications and games to really show what can be done with the freedom
wonder if the servers here can cope when the 4000 people decend on this site to download everything on day one..

I don't think every app/program will be available when it's released.

The dev team can only send out 300 or so a day, so I don't think it will be 4000, it's the the news/media attention that might be more of a problem for the servers, over 9000 of those guys? :)

By the way: how big are the Homebrew games may i can quest?, per exemple zeq2lite looks realy good, has under 100mb? or battle for wesnot..
thats schould be the problem: when 4000 preorderes are download the games, and they have all alot of size, than whe get a server crash, but when the games are only 10 mb, than it should work a bit better.. :)

atombat said:
I don't think every app/program will be available when it's released.

The dev team can only send out 300 or so a day, so I don't think it will be 4000, it's the the news/media attention that might be more of a problem for the servers, over 9000 of those guys? :)

Over 9000!?!

Lol, memes.

Last edited by a moderator:
matzesu said:
By the way: how big are the Homebrew games may i can quest?, per exemple zeq2lite looks realy good, has under 100mb? or battle for wesnot..
thats schould be the problem: when 4000 preorderes are download the games, and they have all alot of size, than whe get a server crash, but when the games are only 10 mb, than it should work a bit better.. :)
Zeq2Lite's current Windows build is ~250mb, and I can only see it going up with new code/models/etc. Though I dunno how much the conversion from x86-->ARM and Windows-->Linux will change it.

Tensuke said:
Zeq2Lite's current Windows build is ~250mb, and I can only see it going up with new code/models/etc. Though I dunno how much the conversion from x86-->ARM and Windows-->Linux will change it.
I'd imagine the binaries and libraries make up a small part compared to the textures/models/maps.
Although, they can possibly reduce texture quality and polygon counts without too much visible impact on a smaller screen, at least for people that want a smaller file.

About the risk of GREAT number of accesses and downloads... Wouldn't it be wise to enable Torrent downloads too? It's much more community-like... Everyone interested helping other interested people... =P

Hmm... it seems like it might be a good idea to create a torrent of the popular (or perhaps all) homebrew games and utilities after the first week or so. That way a person can prepare an SD card before they get their Pandora (for the slackers that preordered on the second or third day, like me). This should lower the demand on the servers and fuel people's excitement since they won't have to download everything separately. Perhaps also create a media torrent (maybe resized to Pandora's LCD and in an appropriate format) of interesting creative commons stuff so people can break-in their Pandora's audio/video players while reveling in "openness".

^ On that topic, people should sign up at budbud's site mentioned in this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/46340-gp2x-torrents/

It's pretty new, and needs members & content.

I think the server will be able to handle it. I doubt people will download everything at once, probably just a few key programs, and then customizing it. Worst case scenario is to add a mirror. Also important to note is people will get their pandoras over a time frame of at least a 2 weeks (just a guess), also the multiple time zones means not everyone will be on at the same time.

As for Creative Commons Media torrent, only if it is a Pandora Commercial.

No doubt the most popular thing will be the: "I AM POSTING THIS ON MY PANDORA!" thread.

scrag_10 said:
No doubt the most popular thing will be the: "I AM POSTING THIS ON MY PANDORA!" thread.
Either that or the "Where is mine?" thread

Shaun. said:
Will there be an already existing database of linux programs such as open office?
I'm not entirely sure whether the team will be using this/encouraging the use of this or not (can anyone confirm or deny? My memory's gone on holiday for the moment :p), but there's quite a large selection of applications already available for Ångström (which is what the Pandora is using). You can browse through them here.

Shaun. said:
Will there be an already existing database of linux programs such as open office?

IIRC Open Office has already been run on the Pandora, if not then Beagle Board has run it. I think that Pandora is likely to ship with a basic word processor built in.

There will be software available either from the Angstrom repositories or http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi so it should be easy to see if the software you want is already available. Unfortunately the Pandora file archives are a little bare at the moment, but once the Pandora is released the archive should start filling up quickly.

Yeah, some of the videos have had various Open Office programs running. I dunno how much software will ship with the Pandora, but it should be downloadable on day 1 given that it's already there on dev units, provided someone feels like uploading it...

I think AbiWord and Gnumeric were shown. I don't recall any Open Office apps being shown.

Back