Note Recorder

Pleng

I am intending to bring along my Pandora to university lectures so that I can record whats being said, and make some notes. Then I had an idea!

What would be great is a piece of software the records audio, but lets you press a 'note' button when recording. When you press the button, the time of the press is stored, you are invited to enter a subject and optionally some additional notes.

When loading the file back into the software you are presented with a list of all the note subjects you have entered along with the lecture. You are able to play the file from the start, or select a particular subject title and the file will begin playing from that particular point.

Ideally the notes would be stored in an xml file so that a parser could easily be made for Windows/Linux, that way you could archive old lectures quite easily on your home PC.

Could also be useful for business meetings etc..

Does such an app already exist for Linux?

That's a pretty good idea. I'll look for such an app, if I won't find anything I may make one.

Damn, i totally forgot about the mic. I think a microphone ap that would start when you pressed a ashoulder button would be great.

Pretty sure such an app doesn't exist yet. The good thing is Tomboy Notes are highly extensible and was written with Mono so it's quite easy to code plugins for it. You might want to look into it.

sindbad said:
That's a pretty good idea. I'll look for such an app, if I won't find anything I may make one.
Yea I thought it was a pretty nifty little idea too. Having thought about it, I think that when you press the button to make notes, the app should set the bookmark for, say 2 or 3 seconds before the button was pressed, to compensate for the natural latency incurred by the human brain (the bit between the brain hearing something interesting, and making a point of pressing the button!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
sindbad said:
Yea I thought it was a pretty nifty little idea too. Having thought about it, I think that when you press the button to make notes, the app should set the bookmark for, say 2 or 3 seconds before the button was pressed, to compensate for the natural latency incurred by the human brain (the bit between the brain hearing something interesting, and making a point of pressing the button!)
Timeshifting would also be cool. You press the button and it starts recording from X seconds in the past. This would require a shifting window built by constantly recording.
Megamixman said:
Pretty sure such an app doesn't exist yet. The good thing is Tomboy Notes are highly extensible and was written with Mono so it's quite easy to code plugins for it. You might want to look into it.
I'd rather stay away from mono and gnome if at all possible. :D

sindbad said:

That would be cool.

Nice idea, Pleng. Simple concept, but I agree it could be really useful.

sindbad said:
Timeshifting would also be cool. You press the button and it starts recording from X seconds in the past. This would require a shifting window built by constantly recording.

Yes, this would mean however that the SD card is constantly being written to. It's not somethingk I'd particularly need as I'd simply open the app at the beginning of the lecturer, press record, and add notes as required. I'd have no objection to a timeshift function being implemented, as long as there's an option to switch it off!

TaG said:
Nice idea, Pleng. Simple concept, but I agree it could be really useful.

Thanks. Most of my ideas turn out to be duds; I'm glad people like this one! :D

Pleng said:
sindbad said:

Yes, this would mean however that the SD card is constantly being written to. It's not somethingk I'd particularly need as I'd simply open the app at the beginning of the lecturer, press record, and add notes as required. I'd have no objection to a timeshift function being implemented, as long as there's an option to switch it off!

Surely a minute or so of mono audio would be small enough to be stored in the RAM?

linux write caches... not sure how the pandora kernel will handle that though... the program could be made to store say 60seconds before starting to write anyway i guess... or write into a ramdisk (practical?) its not like flash is *THAT* volatile anyway *WAY* better than floppy disks :p you get millions of writes and unlimited reads so a few lecture note aren't gonna kill it

also this program could take advantage ffmpeg or whatever lib that supports the DSP to offload from the CPU

what formats would be used anyway? .wav .mp3 .ogg .flac? (flac for the russian teachers :) ... that sound like the count from sesame street X.x )

I won't be heading back to school for at least another year (argh, delays!) but I am definitely interested in this idea.

cb88 said:
what formats would be used anyway? .wav .mp3 .ogg .flac? (flac for the russian teachers :) ... that sound like the count from sesame street X.x )
In Soviet Russia, Pandora record you!

heh i got this great idea! the pandora team could take some pandoras and have the count from sesame street count them!!! now THAT would be advertisement!!!

cb88 said:
heh i got this great idea! the pandora team could take some pandoras and have the count from sesame street count them!!! now THAT would be advertisement!!!
And when he counts the last one he opens it and a black mist comes out and devours Bert's PSP and Ernie's NDS!

But I do like the memo recorder idea! If you could attach them to an alarm that would ALSO be cool.

velocity37 said:
Surely a minute or so of mono audio would be small enough to be stored in the RAM?

Ahhh sorry I misread the original request. I thought that the a much larger timeshift window was being requested.

Sounds like a fantastic idea, someone need to get on tis pronto :lol:

It sounds like a nice app, but isn't this more or less what that electronic pen -- LiveScribe? I'm not sure about the name -- does? Obviously, with the pen you write your notes on paper, but I'm pretty sure it has recording and tagging capabilities as well.

Karel Jansens said:
It sounds like a nice app, but isn't this more or less what that electronic pen -- LiveScribe? I'm not sure about the name -- does? Obviously, with the pen you write your notes on paper, but I'm pretty sure it has recording and tagging capabilities as well.
Which means it's definately a good idea. Get cloning!

Back