Note Recorder

what about just having an app that makes mp3-files.....
and just put in ur notes in the id3-lyric-tags?

I think you should just type the notes and have a button to press when moving on to the next subject in the lecture . That way every piece of your notes has the corresponding audio attached to it. When you are ready to review the notes, it will show up as an entire page with every subject in the order you wrote with each audio snippet available next to its text.

whiskthecat said:
I think you should just type the notes and have a button to press when moving on to the next subject in the lecture . That way every piece of your notes has the corresponding audio attached to it. When you are ready to review the notes, it will show up as an entire page with every subject in the order you wrote with each audio snippet available next to its text.

Some situations would may be better suited one method, other situations by the other method. If you want a page of notes, this idea works. If you want to re-listen to a presentation/speech and want your notes at appropriate times, the other method is better. Could both be possible in one app?

I have to say that there have been times when a quality app along these lines would have been worth the cost of admission on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 absolutely.

Taking notes on paper for six hours during lectures isn't something I terribly enjoy. If a decent note taking application came around, It'd immediately justify spending 330 USD on a new toy :lol:
Recording a lecture and playing it back later for bits and pieces I missed would make it an absolutely indispensable application for me. (One suite instead of running a recorder app + writing app + opening an image doodling app)

I'll gladly donate to the general fund, but I'd DEFINITELY donate to the developer who puts out an application with these things. I'm a college student, so it'd only be like 20 bucks, but hey!

Kyosys said:
sounds like a battery killer

I doubt that very much. Audio, from my experience doesn't use as much power as most applications like photo viewing or video.
Ryzure said:
+1 absolutely.

Taking notes on paper for six hours during lectures isn't something I terribly enjoy. If a decent note taking application came around, It'd immediately justify spending 330 USD on a new toy :lol:
Recording a lecture and playing it back later for bits and pieces I missed would make it an absolutely indispensable application for me. (One suite instead of running a recorder app + writing app + opening an image doodling app)

I'll gladly donate to the general fund, but I'd DEFINITELY donate to the developer who puts out an application with these things. I'm a college student, so it'd only be like 20 bucks, but hey!

Yeah, its a great idea but, I don't know about taking to class lectures. Doesn't most professors disapprove of recording their sessions?

FRZ said:
Yeah, its a great idea but, I don't know about taking to class lectures. Doesn't most professors disapprove of recording their sessions?
No, I've known some who actually put recordings of their lectures up online. And students frequently bring laptops to lectures and hit the "record" button. In any case, you don't have to tell them that you're doing it; the Pandora is small enough to hide.

FRZ said:
Where I go; alot of the instructors allow you to set a tape recorder on their desk at the beginning of class and leave it recording, they'll also allow you to have your laptop out (as long as it's quiet) and do whatever.

You may still have a valid point, as I'm not sure how other prof's would feel about this.

[irony]
we should consider pluging-in a usb-webcam to the pandora
just mount the cam on ur top-jacket-button, while ur having the pandora in ur open jacket-pocket
this way u will be able to record audio and video of your whole day....

and every 3 hours or so, u take the pandora out of ur pocket, and start typin notes about each "scene" of the past 3 hours, like:
"gf told me to fuck myself - she was really mad, and flipped me the bird"

then months and months later, if she denys ever havin said that, ur gonna take out ur pandora and search for
"go fuckmyself"
this way ur gonna be able to show her audio footage or she tellin u to go fuck urself, and also video-footage of she givin u the middlefinger!

imagine the possiblities....

ur whole life recorded this little device.....
(be sure to get a 1080p-webcam so u got all ur life in fullhd)

sure there are a couple of downsides, like diskspace-issues for storing all those videos
or the time u might have to need to label ur whole day....

but those can easily be ignored if u look at the advantages...
[/irony]

thinkin of it.....
actually it really would be kinda cool :p

apple would integrate this in their products wheater the user wants it or not :p

imo apple is the most evil company of all....

the next big totalitarian-regime will prolly be under apple-leadership

hail jobs

whiskthecat said:
Um that's pretty much how this would work, except you'd need to press the button once at the beginning of the recording to set the first bookmark.

But the point of the system is that you shouldn't NEED to write massive notes. Just a subject and a few ideas you had at the time of the lecture. The rest you can review at your own leisure.

I've experimented a bit with portaudio from python last night and it's very easy to use. The backend shouldn't be too hard to make (even the timeshifting). I plan to make a dbus interface to it.

Now I need to think a bit about the interface. Will probably be made with Qt and work anywhere.

Oh and think of a name for it. I want to prior art it before apple patents it.

I would be willing to help with UI design if you like. Throw a couple of concepts your way etc...

As for a name how about AudioPad, or SoundNotes? Try and capture what its function in a direct manner, rather than getting all fancy :p

Pleng said:
I would be willing to help with UI design if you like. Throw a couple of concepts your way etc...

As for a name how about AudioPad, or SoundNotes? Try and capture what its function in a direct manner, rather than getting all fancy :p
Yes, because something like "Firefox" really describes it's function well.

Weird memorable names are good too!

Crasherball said:
[irony]
we should consider pluging-in a usb-webcam to the pandora
just mount the cam on ur top-jacket-button, while ur having the pandora in ur open jacket-pocket
this way u will be able to record audio and video of your whole day....

and every 3 hours or so, u take the pandora out of ur pocket, and start typin notes about each "scene" of the past 3 hours, like:
"gf told me to fuck myself - she was really mad, and flipped me the bird"

then months and months later, if she denys ever havin said that, ur gonna take out ur pandora and search for
"go fuckmyself"
this way ur gonna be able to show her audio footage or she tellin u to go fuck urself, and also video-footage of she givin u the middlefinger!

imagine the possiblities....

ur whole life recorded this little device.....
(be sure to get a 1080p-webcam so u got all ur life in fullhd)

sure there are a couple of downsides, like diskspace-issues for storing all those videos
or the time u might have to need to label ur whole day....

but those can easily be ignored if u look at the advantages...
[/irony]

thinkin of it.....
actually it really would be kinda cool :p

You would need a whole lot of storage for that kinda recording. Unless you have some loads of money for multiple SD cards then hey...

ashdjones said:
Pleng said:

Yes, because something like "Firefox" really describes it's function well.

Weird memorable names are good too!

Firefox isn't that memorable. For years when people asked me if I'd used Firefox, I would say yeah, it's great for christmas shopping. Point is when Firefox even started it had the backing of the Mozilla foundation and the netscape name behind it. That's a great tool to start promoting yourself with.

Somebody looking for an audio tool would type something like 'audio recorder' or 'sound recorder' into a search engine. And you're going to get a lot more cross-references (mentions on forums etc) come up if your application actually has the word 'sound' or 'audio' in it.

Mind you, it's not like it's an app destined to take over the world. I just think it's generally easier for other users to find what they're looking for when then name at least part describes the function. Especially if the application in question is a new concept (rather than a reimplementation of a well known software type)

Anyhow. I'm babbling. If it gets written then I really don't care what its called :)

Back