Noobie Suggestions

coderedfilm

Still Fresh
hey, I just got my F100, previously owned, and this is all new to me. Im now starting to install emus and play with the menus. any suggestions as to what i should get first, and what to steer clear of? One thing I have noticed, I cant get any of the Sega emus to run. most all the others work flawlessly, with the exception of some mame roms.
oh, and opinion on the F100. should i have just got a new F200? is there that much of a difference? thanks guys! any help would be much appreciated!

Have you tried Picodrive for the Genesis games? This is pretty simple to install and set up. It also does sega cd games too but you have to find and download the region bios files (jap, usa etc). You should have no problems for normal non cd games ..?

For Game Gear, and Master System, AlexKidd2x (i think that's the correct name) is brilliant for these.

You may have been using DrMD which is still a fantastic emulator but it has been taken over by Picodrive (Reesy himself admits this!)

Give these a go using the readme's on where to install and place your games. Problems after, report back ;) Good luck

Oh, and opinion of F100 or F200 - completely up to you! I prefer having a joystick for the games i play. If i was into fighting agmes,i would prpbably prefer the d-pad version.

sataniC Virus said:
Have you tried Picodrive for the Genesis games? This is pretty simple to install and set up. It also does sega cd games too but you have to find and download the region bios files (jap, usa etc). You should have no problems for normal non cd games ..?

For Game Gear, and Master System, AlexKidd2x (i think that's the correct name) is brilliant for these.

You may have been using DrMD which is still a fantastic emulator but it has been taken over by Picodrive (Reesy himself admits this!)

Give these a go using the readme's on where to install and place your games. Problems after, report back ;) Good luck

Oh, and opinion of F100 or F200 - completely up to you! I prefer having a joystick for the games i play. If i was into fighting agmes,i would prpbably prefer the d-pad version.

awesome suggestion. but yes, i did try out Picodrive. Im fairly sure i have it all installed right and the roms in the right places. I can access the roms, but when i select them, it loads for a split second and goes back to the menu, and it reads "not a ROM selected" ive tried this with numerous games too. It also seems that if i hold the button when i go to select the rom, it loads to a black screen with the framerate reading in the bottom right.??

Last edited by a moderator:
coderedfilm said:
sataniC Virus said:

awesome suggestion. but yes, i did try out Picodrive. Im fairly sure i have it all installed right and the roms in the right places. I can access the roms, but when i select them, it loads for a split second and goes back to the menu, and it reads "not a ROM selected" ive tried this with numerous games too. It also seems that if i hold the button when i go to select the rom, it loads to a black screen with the framerate reading in the bottom right.??

Sounds like you have a bad selection of roms ... The fact you can access them suggests they are in the right place. Usually, you just press B on a selected ron, the screen goes blank for a few seconds and then the game starts. Have you tried the roms on a PC emulator to see if they work there?

For now, all i suggest is that you try and get your hands on a couple of other roms to see if they work? Are the ones you have zipped? If so that's fine but what are they zipped with? Might be some obscure method Picodrive does not recognise??!

Anyone with more brains than me (pretty much everyone here) have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, i know the roms work cuz i pulled them off my xbox. lol. and i have rn them on there. hmmm. what do you think of the neo geo emus?

neo geo emulation is now pretty close to perfect but it is a real pain to set it up. Seeing as you had your roms on your xbox you probably won't mind googling gp2x & torrents and see what turns up. There are pre made up packs available for all the emulators - just drag and drop to your SD card and away you go!

ok, i figured out what was going on with the Gen emu. For some reason or another, some of my roms are .sms files and some are .smd files. the emu will only play the .smd files. it wont load the .sms files, even when they are zipped. maybe you could lead me in the right direction? a lot of the games i want to play are in .sms files. im assuming that means sega master system and sega mega drive? even tho all the .sms roms are not master system games, but genesis games. I think im confused now. lol. any help would be much appreciated

Back