F100 And F200

henderson01993

Still Fresh
I previously owned a GP2X F100 games console, and failed miserably when trying to use it. Most games i put on did not work, and it would not play any videos aswell. I loved the device itself, and how much you could change it. I was wondering, as users, is it worth buying a GP2X F200, even though i have a F100 which i cannot use. Is it more reliable, and are games etc easy to put on unlike the F100. I am a novice at this sort of thing, and only do it after school. Would it be worth getting as a gift.

I think you might be using the wrong firmware. Version 2.0 with the Notaz SDHC kernel seems to be the best for an F100. An F200 doesn't bring you much advantage, the (hardly used) touchscreen doesn't compensate for the sound issues and the dpad isn't a real improvement over the F100's joystick.

I actually like my F200 more than my F100. I'll give you the downsides to the F200 first:

Cons to the F200:
  • Very bright power LED shining in your eyes, must be covered with tape
  • Sound is too loud for easy headphone use
  • Interlacing seems to be more noticable and not very correctable
  • No real GUI improvements
  • Battery gauge feature is gone but to be honest it never really worked well on the F100 in the first place so, whatever..
  • No more USB networking, in case you want to do development.
Pros:
  • Touchscreen is fantastic for ScummVM Lucasarts games, FreeSCI Sierra games, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, and Abuse. There are more homebrew games coming out that support it, too.
  • The new "DPAD" is very nice for shoot-em-up's. It allows you to be extremely nimble when dodging bullets. It also is fairly good for most other types of games, but it is not quite as nice as a standard DPAD. It will definitely last longer than the dodgy F100 stick.
  • Native SDHC support
The loud sound problem of the F200 will be gone as soon as Open2X firmware is released. It will even be fully adjustable and mutable. Just need to get the darned thing released, arggh.

henderson01993 said:
I previously owned a GP2X F100 games console, and failed miserably when trying to use it. Most games i put on did not work, and it would not play any videos aswell. I loved the device itself, and how much you could change it. I was wondering, as users, is it worth buying a GP2X F200, even though i have a F100 which i cannot use. Is it more reliable, and are games etc easy to put on unlike the F100. I am a novice at this sort of thing, and only do it after school. Would it be worth getting as a gift.

The games are not really any different to get working, so if you have problems with your f100 it won't be much different. It really shouldn't take too long to find out the basics on getting stuff to run, though some apps are a little more complicated! Read the readmes that are included in the apps, use the search on the forum, and put on your flame proof clothes and post here if you still need help ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
henderson01993 said:
If games were designed for the GP2X F100 then they would play, same as the F200. May I please ask that if you have big problems getting something to run then these forums are a great place to ask for help. Sometimes the reason they do not work have the simplest of solutions, and we here will not think you an idiot for lack of knowledge. I know there are some who love to quote "Use the search" but sometimes it's nice to ask and have an answer. After all, it's an active live forum and not an info board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back