Nokia N900 Or Openpandora

I'm having a tough time choosing between the nokia n900 and openpandora. Both are appealing homebrew devices and both run linux which is selling point for me. I can only own one of them. I would like some help but ultimately the choice is mine.

Get the N900 if you want a phone but don't mind skipping out on gaming controls. Get the Pandora if you want gaming controls, better support for emulation and homebrew and don't mind missing out on the phone.

I believe the Pandora is cheaper as well, if that helps to sway your decision at all.

quadomatic said:
I believe the Pandora is cheaper as well, if that helps to sway your decision at all.
Well the Nokia n900 does have 32gb of storage and is easier to buy

Last edited by a moderator:
Storage is a moot point, as you can put 2x32GB cards into a Pandora. That does add to the cost of course. Ease of purchase can't be argued with; you can get an N900 now.

Cost wise: Where I am it would currently cost about $370 to buy a Pandora (and wait for it of course), or $700+ to buy an N900.

Cost and delivery time does not make a desirable device though. You should list what you want to use it for. Are you set on owning a smartphone? Do you want/need gaming controls? Have you spent some time in each community (Maemo and GP32X) to see what kind of work they do? Community is key to both of these devices if you're interested in ongoing software releases.

Do some homework on both operating systems too (Nokia's Maemo vs Pandora's various options*) and see what suits you better.

*Feel free to ask about this if you're unsure, the answer is a little long.

Whenever I see a question like this I wonder how much the person knows about each device. Similarities: OMAP3 and Linux. Differences: Everything else. No, the physical keyboard doesn't count as a similarity. Nokia's sliding keyboards are not great; I can type faster using Swype on my HTC Magic than I can on my n810's physical keyboard.

That said, if you still can't decide, consider that in Australia at least you can buy a reasonable phone AND a Pandora for the price of a n900. That's my preferred option as I take my phone places that I wouldn't take a handheld computer, the pub, beach, mountain bike park, snowfields ect.

Basically, it all comes down to this:

Are you looking for:
A: An awesome phone?
B: An awesome Super-Mini netbook with Gaming controls and touchscreen?

That+Price is about what determines it. me, I like the pandora as it actually has the analog controls and touchscreen. Most devices don't have those, and it's also why I like the DS so much. Power is usually secondary to me, compared to how well it runs.

Gruso said:
Storage is a moot point, as you can put 2x32GB cards into a Pandora. That does add to the cost of course. Ease of purchase can't be argued with; you can get an N900 now.

Cost wise: Where I am it would currently cost about $370 to buy a Pandora (and wait for it of course), or $700+ to buy an N900.

Cost and delivery time does not make a desirable device though. You should list what you want to use it for. Are you set on owning a smartphone? Do you want/need gaming controls? Have you spent some time in each community (Maemo and GP32X) to see what kind of work they do? Community is key to both of these devices if you're interested in ongoing software releases.

Do some homework on both operating systems too (Nokia's Maemo vs Pandora's various options*) and see what suits you better.

*Feel free to ask about this if you're unsure, the answer is a little long.
I already know about both maemo and angstrom. The n900 isn't to badly price it is around $ 500 which is pretty standard for unlocked smartphone, but the openpandora is cheaper but I'm still waiting for the damn thing to come out.I will most likely end up with the nokia n900.

PhillipJ said:
Whenever I see a question like this I wonder how much the person knows about each device. Similarities: OMAP3 and Linux. Differences: Everything else. No, the physical keyboard doesn't count as a similarity. Nokia's sliding keyboards are not great; I can type faster using Swype on my HTC Magic than I can on my n810's physical keyboard.

That said, if you still can't decide, consider that in Australia at least you can buy a reasonable phone AND a Pandora for the price of a n900. That's my preferred option as I take my phone places that I wouldn't take a handheld computer, the pub, beach, mountain bike park, snowfields ect.
The pricing of the n900 is standard for unocked phones I live in the united states but here the device is $ 500 but the keyboard on the n900 is better then onscreen keyboard but isn't the best. The openpandora is cheaper but it has been delayed for 2 years and lacks the games developed natively for maemo.

..and Maemo will lack the games developed for Pandora. :p Personally I'd rather be in this community's hands when it comes to gaming. There is a lot of history here, and a lot of interest in the hardware from game developers of all levels (from bedroom to... :ph34r: ). Whereas N900 gaming will always be "gaming on a phone" IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just a different kinda thing.

It's pretty hard to compare the two right now of course, one being well established and one still on the way. But the lineage of this scene from GP32 through to Wiz is all I need to know. :)

Why not get the N900 for quick satisfaction, then watch where Pandora goes over the coming months? You'll be able to make a more informed decision then. If this scene's work pushes your buttons it'll be pretty easy to offload the N900 and get a second batch Pandora. Or save up and have both. ;)

dunno which is better, but the price argument don't stand.
500$ for a N900
or 330$for a pandora + some $$ for a phone
= roughly the same or even a bit more for the pandora solution... add the burden of two devices...

now, gaming control + full keyboard - maemo by default = yum!

What games are developed natively for Maemo? How many of them are not open-source and can't be compiled for Pandora?

Elwing said:
500$ for a N900
or 330$for a pandora + some $ for a phone
= roughly the same or even a bit more for the pandora solution... add the burden of two devices...

If you have a Pandora, your phone needs to do nothing but take phone calls.

And phones are not $170 with no extra features.
I've had my current cell phone since 2003, and don't plan on leaving it. It has a built in .mp3 player, can text/phone/etc, take pictures, and still hasn't broken.
It cost me $50 way back then. I'm sure you can get a phone like that now for less than $170.

Yeah, I'm still using my circa-2002 phone. :blush: It can't play MP3s or receive MMS, but it has nice big buttons. I'd love an N900 or a nice Android phone, but I spend enough money on stuff.

Wolenber said:
Elwing said:
500$ for a N900
or 330$for a pandora + some $ for a phone

If you have a Pandora, your phone needs to do nothing but take phone calls.

And phones are not $170 with no extra features.
I've had my current cell phone since 2003, and don't plan on leaving it. It has a built in .mp3 player, can text/phone/etc, take pictures, and still hasn't broken.
It cost me $50 way back then. I'm sure you can get a phone like that now for less than $170.

not really, if you have a pandora your phone need to be able to do some tethering to do the same thing that you can with an N900... my old but still working phone can't do that...

get an e71. stuff is so cache. snaxiest phone out there imo, does wads of stuff, got mine for 150$ on craigslist.

When deciding on one device or another it's important to realy study what the capabilities of each are, which fits your life better, which will become more of a hinderance than a help to you over time what has more battery life or offers you options you actually plan to use.

You can't really let someone make a choice for you, people are biased by their own situation, only you can make the right decision for yourself.

I just got my N900 this week.. Groovier than any other phone!

If you're into hacking the N900 is good. If you're into games and apps and the rest - iPhone 3GS/4G [wait].

I have ordered a Pandora for a specific reason.... GAMES!

N900 is weak when it comes to gaming... Only due to controls and keyboard seems fragile.

If you want Gaming and no camera, GPS, phone, fm radio, 3G blah blah then get Pandora.

My N900 cost me $530AUD (Item + Postage)
Pandora when I purchased it (Pandora + Postage) cost me over $480! Conversion rate hit me hard - They said it was being released back then.... Hmmm....

Back