QuoVadis versus Pandora?

patrick295767

Hi,

To introduce this thread in few words, would you rather use a Pandora or simple QuoVadis (- yeah paper) for time management? 

After using a blackberry several years, one day, I could experience the problem of a hardware failure during a trip, and I learned that reliability is something important. 

(Luckily I had printed documents) On travel, where to go if you miss a given information and havent got Internet access? 

=> It is called hardware failure ... which is A possibility if you have an electronic device. 

Example: Imagine that you have a flight to take and an electronic ticket (for the ticket electronic scanner) at the airport...

In my opinion, the paper solution is reliable. Not pretty much efficient as electronic solutions might be, but it remains reliable. 

In terms of hardware failures, the well-known stories of first handelds and 1980-2000 electronic organizer devices showed that they have been over the years more and more reliable. Better hardware. However if you leave your handheld all the time in your office, anyhow, nothing can prevent a cable (hardware to LCD) issue (screen problem). Even if you take a lot of precautions while using your machine. 

I personally experienced that Sharp devices are pretty reliable in general. Some devices were quite fascinating machines. For instance Zaurus have shown limited problems with hardware. Sharp have been well known.  

The Nokia N900 is also pretty strong and fits into your pocket. Debian can be installed on the N900, which might be pretty nice (btw I have never tried)).

(In this thread, I talk only about handhelds with an integrated keyboard)

=====> 

So, I come to the following question:

- What would you choose as a reliable time management solution ?

- Paper or electronic ?

Why not this solution http://quovadisplanners.com/catalog/president  over various electronic time management ones (and especially the best of the best handheld i.e. the Linux - based Pandora 1)?

Fell free to leave your comments on this topic of time management solutions and their reliability.

Sincerely yours

Pat.

a product that has easy for everyone to read the letter, no matter how bad your handwriting is, and one that has an easy to use delete button

hi pat,

I use both. the google-calendar is for syncing all appointments on all devices (pc, laptops, tablet, mobile phone and pandora) via thunderbird and outlook. Then I record the events and the outcome in my daily planner on paper. thats my archive, too.

contacts, notes and todo's are printed from outlook on a regular basis. Syncing all this is a hassle, because on windows, linux and android you need different programs.

I am still searching for a pim-manager, which can handle all this at the same time - running on all my devices - without cloud support, because I don't trust them.

greetings

Last edited by a moderator:
I use both, too. 

Paper for reliability, electronic devices for flexibility when I dont have other means with me. 

I am not really satisfied with either completely. There's still room for innovation in this field. 

I have as much as possible in the Cloud, certainly contacts, calendar, emails, documents, images, presentations, source code, data, builds + a whole lot more. I have a few mobiles phones which can access all of this data, plus tablets, laptop, computer at air terminals etc. Sure with all factors going against me I could end up without being able to access an eTicket, however a paper printout is no better, I believe there are LOADS more ways you can end up losing/destroying/defacing a paper ticket by accident compared to accessing data in the cloud.

Certainly never does any harm to have a paper print out of any important stuff (presentations, tickets, etc.) with you on a business trip (I say no harm, it doesn't help the environment, but if your business trip means getting a flight then a printout isn't going to be so much of a concern I would imagine).

hi pat,

I use both. the google-calendar is for syncing all appointments on all devices (pc, laptops, tablet, mobile phone and pandora) via thunderbird and outlook. Then I record the events and the outcome in my daily planner on paper. thats my archive, too.

contacts, notes and todo's are printed from outlook on a regular basis. Syncing all this is a hassle, because on windows, linux and android you need different programs.

I am still searching for a pim-manager, which can handle all this at the same time - running on all my devices - without cloud support, because I don't trust them.

greetings
thanks . Interesting similar interests... 

You could use a cross platform PIM program for instance.

I am currently developing one efficient PIM that works on 

various platforms.

That was my concern, to have something that works well and on most platforms.

What platforms does it run on?

• BSD variants:
    FreeBSD 9.0, 8.2, 7.0, 6.4, 4.9
  • OpenBSD 4.9
  • NetBSD 5.1
[*]GNU/Linux
  • Slackware 13.x
  • Debian 6.0, 5.0, 3.1
  • Fedora 13-16, CentOS 4-6
  • Mandrake 2010
  • SuSE 11, 12
[*]but this is likely as well working:
[*]AIX 5.3, 5.1 (cc, gcc)
[*]BeOS R5
[*]Cygwin
[*]HPUX 11.23, 11.11, 11.00, 10.20
[*]IRIX64
[*]Mac OS X 10.7
[*]OS/2 EMX 0.9d (gcc 2.7.2)
[*]QNX 6.1
[*]SCO OpenServer 5.0.5e (cc/CC, gcc 2.7.2.3)
[*]Solaris 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 2.51
[*]Tru64 (aka OSF1 and Digital Unix) 4.0d, 5.1 (cc)
[*]Windows 7, using MinGW.

I just need some time to release.

MS Exchange is supported but unfortunately not google.   :(

For google calendar, it requires dependencies or I would have to create them, but it would take too much time.

never tried. A terminal is ultra likely everywhere... ;) Even Windows has a terminal...  

by the way anyone willing 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VQb5caeSo00?feature=oembed on the Pandora, really ?  

"in Belgium, they're even replacing the non-native species that were used long ago with native one"

Years ago I was also wondering ... about it: 

this is the only country that do such a crap... maybe politicians that invented such a thing. 

I own a Asus Eeenote to be able to scribble / take notes as on paper and I am able to make a back up. The device is not supported anymore and it had a feature to sync with Evernote that is stopped. That is the problem with a lot of closed source stuff. Once you like a product and support is stopped, you are screwed. 

I like not to dependent on companies or closed source apps and certainly not for a PIM program.

A pandora with a good OS PIM program with a flat keyboard and 8" screen tablet/netbook hybrid would be my ultimate PIM + note taking solution. (something like the asus eee tm101, but then smaller and less heavy)

concerning reliable data storage:
all of what steven craft said before. i sync my data in a similar way and it works well. yes, possible privacy issues with google or any other data mining business. true that. but if you lose a piece of paper with private info someone else might find and read it. so what?

my girlfriend uses a handwritten notebook only and it turns out that she is a lot more organized than me. might be all my fault, tho :)

concerning google data sync-age:
google offers very well documented client libraries and apis for most of their services. im not sure but i think google calender and contacts are among those. integrating google sync to your program should be hazzle free.

Split the Environment argument out of the thread.. So continue that heated discussion in offtopic..

Hi Pat,

There is one flaw of your approach: Android isn't supported.

What about using Python instead of C ?

I did some research and found, that Python and PySide (Qt) would run best on most platforms - including Android.

Greetings

Hi Pat,

There is one flaw of your approach: Android isn't supported.

What about using Python instead of C ?

I did some research and found, that Python and PySide (Qt) would run best on most platforms - including Android.

Greetings
Well, then just go head with it.

Back