No Posts About The New "psp Go" ?

optional106 posted on May 31 2009 at 08:29 AM said:
Not that i'm thinking of getting one, but surely if it has bluetooth, you can pair a BT control pad, or PS3 controller to play with the PSP Go ?
I know its not as portable, and a bit of a waste to take a gaming pad with a PSP Go, especially as it has already got built in controls, but if the controls are crap, at least you have another option available.

This might actually be a good idea, seeing as you could keep it closed and still play it. Problem is I would need to hold the PSP in my lap to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Games will have to be bought through the Playstation Network... It's a good thing for smaller developers who don't want the financial risk of a boxed product and might result in more innovative games coming out for the PSP. However, as a game buyer you will be entirely at the mercy of Sony's pricing policy. I doubt you'll see many bargains when buying direct from PSN as opposed to buying a 2 month old game on UMD for half price like I usually do. I also doubt they'll pass the huge cost reduction that digital distribution brings onto us the consumer either so they'll make more money on each sale.

They've also missed the opportunity to introduce a clam-shell design so that screen can still get easily scratched. Same old badly thought out Sony crap really innit?

John

Hey look at that, the screen slides down to protect those precious buttons. But not the screen of course. Why would you ever want to keep that from getting scratches on it? I mean just look at those shiny buttons!

Trevsweb posted on May 31 2009 at 03:22 AM) ....waits for popstation clone : said:
For some reason, I read that as poopstation.
Edit: Also, what the fuck is up with the lack of an actual d-pad?

Edit2: I don't think the sliding is to protect the buttons anymore than sliding phones slide to protect the buttons. It's about a more compressed form factor when using the touch screen. Do you also complain the sliding phones don't protect the screen?

BackAssward posted on May 31 2009 at 07:00 PM said:
Edit: Also, what the fuck is up with the lack of an actual d-pad?
I didn't even notice that. Seems like an odd feature.

Lack of an actual d-pad? The d-pad looks exactly the same as it has on every other Sony controller all the way back to PS1, which was IMO perfectly fine. It might look like four separate buttons but it's really joined/pivoted underneath the case. So long as it's not too shallow like the original PSP 1000 model then I don't see a problem.

In fact, I don't get why everyone is shooting down the controls so prematurely. Maybe they'll be good, maybe they won't be - my impression from looking at it is that the slide down format gives a lot more leverage for making the controls large and not too close to the edges. Which is a major flaw for me in handhelds like the Wiz. Whether the analog nub is comfortable enough to use remains to be seen. I think it's very uncomfortably placed on the PSP by being too close to the bottom. This design solves that, but potentially places it too far in. If it works for the Pandora then it should work alright here too.

If an exploit can be found that allows running both homebrew and ripped UMDs then it could end up going somewhere. People are unhappy about the removal of the UMD drive but it's probably best that Sony backs off from UMD as soon as they can.

Exophase posted on May 31 2009 at 08:14 PM said:
If an exploit can be found that allows running both homebrew and ripped UMDs then it could end up going somewhere. People are unhappy about the removal of the UMD drive but it's probably best that Sony backs off from UMD as soon as they can.
Can't disagree with that.

Exophase posted on May 31 2009 at 05:14 PM said:
True, I don't know the controlls first hand, and if it actually is a pivot like you say the previous ones are, that's a bit better. The buttons do seem shallow, but I will happily admit I made a poor assumption if you are correct. It really does look like individual buttons, not a d-pad, but as I said, I don't *know* exactly what it is.

As for the analog, I would expect it to be the same hardware as the PSP. No reason for them to redesign what they already have.

All that aside, I still say that Sony doesn't treat their customers well, and their proprietory hardware (such as their memory stick) is bothersome.

The lack of screen protection is easily remedied by a simple screen protector.

I'm still not getting it.

Looks like utter crap & appears horribly uncomfortable. L&R are going to be a bitch to get at. What a joke, The psp has been dead for years, yet another poorly thought out redesign is not going to help anything. So not only can I not use my existing useless umds, but I have to purchase all new useless overpriced memory cards? Screw that, screw sony. I love watching huge companies fuck themselves in the ass. They're all doing it right now too, apple sony microsoft, its like one giant corporate anal clusterfuck, makes for some damn good entertainment.

Consequence9 posted on May 31 2009 at 09:05 PM said:
Looks like utter crap & appears horribly uncomfortable. L&R are going to be a bitch to get at. What a joke, The psp has been dead for years, yet another poorly thought out redesign is not going to help anything. So not only can I not use my existing useless umds, but I have to purchase all new useless overpriced memory cards? Screw that, screw sony. I love watching huge companies fuck themselves in the ass. They're all doing it right now too, apple sony microsoft, its like one giant corporate anal clusterfuck, makes for some damn good entertainment.
But people are still dumb enough to buy it.

Yeah, you don't sound biased at all.. maybe your critcism would sound a little better without all of the profanity around it ;p

http://www.engadget.com/photos/sonys-psp-go-leaked/2044616/ < L/R don't look hard to reach to me..

Don't really understand why everyone says it looks so uncomfortable, especially without giving any explanation. It looks like it has the potential to be more comfortable than a lot of handheld designs currently out there which squeeze the controls in between a small form factor and a screen.

PSP hasn't been dead for years. People do buy and use them, big name companies even make big name games for it! It's not dead just because you dislike it/Sony.

If you think your UMDs are useless why do you care about not being able to use them? At any rate, I think you're supposed to download the games (which you have been able to do for a while.. for a lot of games anyway), not buy them on "useless overpriced memory cards." Given that it has 16GB onboard I think many people will be content without any external cards at all.

Don't really understand why everyone says it looks so uncomfortable, especially without giving any explanation. It looks like it has the potential to be more comfortable than a lot of handheld designs currently out there which squeeze the controls in between a small form factor and a screen.
Totally agree. I was just having the same conversation in another forum. Everyone's saying the analogue nub looks hard to reach, but IMO it looks like it negates the usual "craw hand" that comes with handhelds. The same way Pandora does.

Exophase posted on May 31 2009 at 09:45 PM said:
Yeah, you don't sound biased at all.. maybe your critcism would sound a little better without all of the profanity around it ;p
Never said I was unbiased. I wasn't biased when I bought a PSP the day it came out and waited years for a game worth playing to come out, which never happened, and then sat back and watched flawed revision after flawed revision trickle out. I'm biased now after blowing a ton of money on a console that isn't worth it's weight in... well anything.
I didn't say they'd be hard to reach, my concern was with their proximity to the slide-up screen, it seems to me that the screen will get in the way & make gripping the console quite awkward. I don't like anything impeding my grip, especially with triggers.
which handhelds (besides the wiz) are those? To me the controls seem quite a bit more cramped on this iteration of the psp than most other handhelds. I'll have to wait to have one in hand to judge, but even that seems unlikely.
PSP hasn't been dead for years. People do buy and use them, big name companies even make big name games for it! It's not dead just because you dislike it/Sony.
Big names don't mean crap to me, good games do, and none of said big names have put out a game worth playing in the past 4 years or so. People are sheep, they will buy anything that's shiny & new, there's a whole store chock full of shiny shit in the mall near me. It's big name companies that have ruined the game industry, EA especially. I wanted to like it, i really did, but without software support it's just shiny crap. It's dead because developers won't touch it & the only games getting made are horrid watered down ports.
, not buy them on "useless overpriced memory cards." Given that it has 16GB onboard I think many people will be content without any external cards at all.
My criticism lies in their extreme lack of foresight, ignorance & their constantly rushed knee-jerk reactions in the form of hardware updates. First I bought all these UMDs, Then I bought all these memory sticks that nothing else uses, and now in the new iteration i can't use either of those even if i wanted to. I only care about using them because I paid money for them & their entire existence is now negated. Sure you're supposed to download games, but like a lot of people have previously said, then you are locked into paying what sony wants without the guarantee of a physical backup.

This latest revision is just a reaction to all the press apple is getting over the whole game downloads thing and Nintendo's latest DS revision. They're trying to get ahead of the curve they've already missed by putting their foot in the door and rushing a half-baked update to a console without substance to the market. In this economy an intermediary device just isn't going to fly. It would be one thing if the support was there, but knowing sony, its just not going to happen, and if it does it'll be too little too late.

Every single iteration of the psp thus far has felt so slapped together & half-assed that I have no reason to expect any different from this one. Sony's been trying like mad to get devs behind them, and I just don't see it turning out any different the fourth time around.

Never said I was unbiased. I wasn't biased when I bought a PSP the day it came out and waited years for a game worth playing to come out, which never happened, and then sat back and watched flawed revision after flawed revision trickle out. I'm biased now after blowing a ton of money on a console that isn't worth it's weight in... well anything.
Then it's hard to take your opinions about this seriously when you admit you're biased from the start.

You're angry at Sony because you bought a PSP on the first day then spent a lot of money on games you didn't enjoy? Maybe you should be angry at yourself for buying it so impulsively then not researching or renting any of those games you bought. If you're going to spend money so haphazardly then you shouldn't be so bitter about it afterwards...

QUOTE (Consequence9)
I didn't say they'd be hard to reach, my concern was with their proximity to the slide-up screen, it seems to me that the screen will get in the way & make gripping the console quite awkward. I don't like anything impeding my grip, especially with triggers.

What you said was "L&R are going to be a bitch to get at.".. I don't see how having something in front of the unit would possibly impede access to the triggers. Do you hold your fingers on the triggers such that they require being jutting out in front of the handheld?

QUOTE (Consequence9)
which handhelds (besides the wiz) are those? To me the controls seem quite a bit more cramped on this iteration of the psp than most other handhelds. I'll have to wait to have one in hand to judge, but even that seems unlikely.

How CAN they be more cramped? The unit has more than the length of the screen, you can tell that it's only so much less wide than the original PSPs. But the controls get this whole width to themselves. Your criticisms make no sense at all. If you look at the pictures you can see that there's plenty of room from the edges of the unit to the controls themselves. Yes, I was talking about the Wiz, but also the GP2X's face buttons have bothered me, and even the DS. And I used a grip on my PSP, although it's not that bad without it (unless you want to use the nub which is very poorly placed for me)

QUOTE (Consequence9)
Big names don't mean crap to me, good games do, and none of said big names have put out a game worth playing in the past 4 years or so. People are sheep, they will buy anything that's shiny & new, there's a whole store chock full of shiny shit in the mall near me. It's big name companies that have ruined the game industry, EA especially. I wanted to like it, i really did, but without software support it's just shiny crap. It's dead because developers won't touch it & the only games getting made are horrid watered down ports.

You know, just because you don't have the same tastes as others doesn't mean you should insult them. I'm sorry you were so burned but I know people that regard PSP as their favorite system and I don't consider them "sheep." I personally don't care about the game selection, but I don't like a lot of games that are popular. I'm not going to throw a tantrum over it though.

QUOTE (Consequence9)
My criticism lies in their extreme lack of foresight, ignorance & their constantly rushed knee-jerk reactions in the form of hardware updates. First I bought all these UMDs, Then I bought all these memory sticks that nothing else uses, and now in the new iteration i can't use either of those even if i wanted to. I only care about using them because I paid money for them & their entire existence is now negated. Sure you're supposed to download games, but like a lot of people have previously said, then you are locked into paying what sony wants without the guarantee of a physical backup.

I guess you had the same lack of foresight Sony did, since you bought PSP the day it was released you must have thought it was a sound idea to include UMDs on it. It was a risky venture that seemed like a worthwhile gamble at the time. It didn't pay off. These things happen (see the reverse where CDs won against carts)

QUOTE (Consequence9)
This latest revision is just a reaction to all the press apple is getting over the whole game downloads thing and Nintendo's latest DS revision. They're trying to get ahead of the curve they've already missed by putting their foot in the door and rushing a half-baked update to a console without substance to the market. In this economy an intermediary device just isn't going to fly. It would be one thing if the support was there, but knowing sony, its just not going to happen, and if it does it'll be too little too late.

Maybe, but is what Sony's doing really different from what Nintendo's doing just because Nintendo got DSi out first? Is it less of an "intermediary" device? If it fails then oh well, their loss. You say you're amused by this but you just seem pissed off.

Personally, when I see news about this handheld the first thing I care about is talking about how well it will function, not how much I hate Sony for such and such. If you want to talk about that then fine, but you're also giving a lot of "opinions" about how poor the design is but without any real justifications.

The next few generations of game consoles will be interesting to watch.
In handhelds, flash memory is still better than optical discs, and I think with the Internet / hard disk capacity explosion in stationary consoles, optical might be going out of style, unless people really want a "hard copy" of their game.

Maybe it's just my personal distaste for optical media, though.

Then it's hard to take your opinions about this seriously when you admit you're biased from the start.
This IS the internet, and this IS a forum, Opinions are just about all anybody can give, and that was mine. An unbiased opinion is going to be pretty hard to find, especially 'round these parts.

You're angry at Sony because you bought a PSP on the first day then spent a lot of money on games you didn't enjoy? Maybe you should be angry at yourself for buying it so impulsively then not researching or renting any of those games you bought. If you're going to spend money so haphazardly then you shouldn't be so bitter about it afterwards...
You seem to be making a lot of assumptions (and you know what they say about those). I did plenty of research, I got games that were supposed to be good, that got good ratings & whatnot, but all ended up sucking. This is not to say that this is a problem exclusive to the psp, it's one that's engulfed the whole industry. There are a myriad of horribly mediocre games churned out every year just for the sake of profit. I'm not angry at sony because i paid a bunch of money for a shitty console, i'm angry at them for making a shitty console to begin with & then making 3 revisions of it that either didn't address core flaws or even added new ones.

What you said was "L&R are going to be a bitch to get at.".. I don't see how having something in front of the unit would possibly impede access to the triggers. Do you hold your fingers on the triggers such that they require being jutting out in front of the handheld?
It's a spacing & angling issue: Will there be enough room to comfortably press the triggers without the back of the screen getting in the way, same thing with angles, it seems like there wouldn't be enough room to comfortably do so. Are the triggers themselves thick enough that the whole of my fingertip can rest on it? (a problem I've had with all the psps thus far)

They are more cramped because they've moved them all closer together and indented them, forcing you to hold your hands closer together & at a deeper angle, thus making them more cramped. I agree the nub was poorly placed on the original, but it's in an even worse spot now.
You know, just because you don't have the same tastes as others doesn't mean you should insult them. I'm sorry you were so burned but I know people that regard PSP as their favorite system and I don't consider them "sheep." I personally don't care about the game selection, but I don't like a lot of games that are popular. I'm not going to throw a tantrum over it though.
It's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of quality. I'm not saying everyone who buys a psp is a sheep, merely that people in general will buy crap just because it's there or because it's made by [insert company]. It's fine if people consider the psp their favorite, that's their deal, but is that due to the commercial games put out, or is it due to the hard work of hackers and homebrew devs such as yourself? For years all I used it for was emulation, because that was all that was worth using it for. What use is a console if there are no games worth playing on it? I am dismayed, but I hardly see how I'm 'throwing a tantrum'.

No, i thought I wanted some games to play on it and that was the only way to get them. I didn't invest in years of r&d and completely misread the way the consumer market was going to come up with a proprietary format whose sole purpose would later be negated by a hardware update years down the road and years to late.... because I'm not a company, I'm the consumer.
Maybe, but is what Sony's doing really different from what Nintendo's doing just because Nintendo got DSi out first? Is it less of an "intermediary" device? If it fails then oh well, their loss. You say you're amused by this but you just seem pissed off.
No, it's the same thing, the DSi is not right for this market either. It might fly in Japan, but not here. I never said I thought the DSi was any better, that i might as well stand for intermediary, lol

Personally, when I see news about this handheld the first thing I care about is talking about how well it will function, not how much I hate Sony for such and such. If you want to talk about that then fine, but you're also giving a lot of "opinions" about how poor the design is but without any real justifications.

That's all well and good, but seeing as how this is the fourth revision of a handheld that was dysfunctional to the point that a fourth revision was even deemed necessary, I hardly feel like they'll get it right this time. I hate sony not for 'such & such', but because the psp has continually been a major let-down & a waste of money. My opinions are just as valid as yours are, and besides, poor design speaks for itself, just look at the thing.
sure I'm being a little abrasive, but it seems to me you're often quite reactionary (more so than necessary at least).
I do appreciate your work on gpsp, it was one of the few things that actually made the psp worth having.
I didn't know you were a fellow clevelander either, what a pleasant surprise! Did u go to the CCAG convention last weekend?

Back