Gp2x And Gps

USB and SDIO devices can work, there just need to be Linux drivers. I cannot find any actual information about any GPS project for the PSP on that page, however.

have a GPS is good but without any map programe that can say where is the Longitude and latitude coordonate that give the GPS to you is nothing. There's no opensource map programe then there can't been done.

Yod4z posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:04 PM said:
have a GPS is good but without any map programe that can say where is the Longitude and latitude coordonate that give the GPS to you is nothing. There's no opensource map programe then there can't been done.

I use my gps device atm with qpe and gpsdrive. but its really slow. as soon as directfb v0.9.26 is released, I'll compile gtk with directfb (=sdl). The I can compile gpsdrive and run it without x11... of course you need our pal bob! (i've uploaded the 2 needed kernel modules to the archive)

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
@michu: Would you care to write a tutorial for the rest of us which explains how to hook up a gps device and how to use it for people who do not understand much in terms of gps? That would be cool because I wouldn`t even know which program to take a look at. It`s good to hear that someone already makes use of gps devices with the gp2x.

michu posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:37 PM said:

I use my gps device atm with qpe and gpsdrive. but its really slow. as soon as directfb v0.9.26 is released, I'll compile gtk with directfb (=sdl). The I can compile gpsdrive and run it without x11... of course you need our pal bob! (i've uploaded the 2 needed kernel modules to the archive)

cheers
:D cool to see that this kind of software is available ;)
gpsdrive: http://www.gpsdrive.cc/
gpsdrive look realy cool, it seem's like Googlemap ;)

michu posted on Aug 30 2006 at 02:37 PM said:

cheers

That's really cool, it would be great when this stuff is ready...
I have a bluetooth GPS receiver and I guess there are USB bluetooth dongles... so I'm thinking: has anyone played with Bluetooth on GP2X? theoretically all pieces of the puzzle are here. I guess it's doable...

That's really cool, it would be great when this stuff is ready...
I have a bluetooth GPS receiver and I guess there are USB bluetooth dongles... so I'm thinking: has anyone played with Bluetooth on GP2X? theoretically all pieces of the puzzle are here. I guess it's doable...

Yes, I'm using a bluetooth dongle on my usb cable to connect to my gps but as Yod4z says, it's not much use unless there's a good map viewer.

My hope stands to michu and gpsdrive :)

If that is a success I'll crack my bluetooth module open, cut of the usb connector and put it inside the gp2x with a simple on/off switch so I wont need the usb cable anymore.

/henrik

henrik posted on Sep 11 2006 at 07:28 AM said:
If that is a success I'll crack my bluetooth module open, cut of the usb connector and put it inside the gp2x with a simple on/off switch so I wont need the usb cable anymore.

/henrik

That's rather awesome. What brand of bluetooth dongle are you using, and have you had any troubles getting it recognised by the GP2x using standard modules?

guy on hackaday hacked up a SDIO GPS module and installed internally it runs

It outputs it data through the serial interface

OmarNawaz posted on Sep 11 2006 at 06:22 PM said:
guy on hackaday hacked up a SDIO GPS module and installed internally it runs

It outputs it data through the serial interface

Yeah, a very neat hack that, but - bluetooth!

The guy who added internal GPS and a USB host port to his GPS has no room left for any further mods. If you stuck a small bluetooth module in instead of the usb stuff (purely speculation as to whether this is a realistic size-tradeoff) you end up with a very flexible way to connect an external GPS wirelessly, saving room for whatever else you might want to put in there.. I just know someone's dying to do what he did only with an SDIO wireless networking module.

Feeg posted on Sep 11 2006 at 09:24 AM said:
henrik posted on Sep 11 2006 at 07:28 AM said:

/henrik

That's rather awesome. What brand of bluetooth dongle are you using, and have you had any troubles getting it recognised by the GP2x using standard modules?

Its a cheap Billonton or something like that with a Broadcom chip inside. But I think that Bluetooth chipsets are more standard than wireless so any dongle should work (at least thats the theory...)

I'll upload the modules I compiled together with the bluez tools tonight or tomorrow so you can try them for yourself.

/henrik

henrik posted on Sep 12 2006 at 03:59 AM said:
I'll upload the modules I compiled together with the bluez tools tonight or tomorrow so you can try them for yourself.

/henrik

Thanks, that'd be appreciated for later reference, though I haven't had time to hack my GP2x hardware yet unfortunately. Stupid university distracting me from important things.

Keep us posted on your progress.

/edit
I was just thinking about how an external controller would be awesome via bluetooth. Or a keyboard. Or USB-style networking. :D

I already posted to find if people have used usb->serial devices with GP2x. After thinking about it, I got an idea of using bluetooth for serial comms and little searching guided me into this thread. I already have a bluetooth->serial -converter and bluetooth dongle I could use for this. So what I got in my mind was that I could hack my GP2x and fit bluetooth dongle inside and write software which would communicate with a device conneted to bluetooth->serial device. If it works it's like the ultimate solution for my need as there's no actual cables to connect besides the power supply plug.

Any guidelines on using bluetooth with GP2x before I start my research on this?

I can program my serial->bluetooth-device with PC to use certain MAC address and wanted baud rates etc. So I only need GP2x to have access on bluetooth serial protocol. I had a quick look for BlueZ and it seems like RS232 emulation is already in rfcomm protocol. Looking good.

-K-

I'd be worried that the kernel version used won't support bluetooth or won't have a driver for most chips. I'm not sure if bluetooth ever made it back to 2.4 or not.

That's why we need seperate bluez-modules as it didn't make into 2.4? at least Henrik got it work already?

I have no hopes for seeing upgrade to 2.6 kernel in the near future :)

Back