Gp2x Still Undecided Please Advise

hughes37

Still Fresh
Ok I have been thinking about geting this consoles for some time but never got around to purchasing one I used to have a gp32 so i got a rough idea what they are like. I have a xbox 360 to play all the best games but there not much reto gaming on the xbox 360 like spectrums snes e.t.c. and you would not twant to play it on a xbox 360. So it down to the gp2x but can you advise me on what version and were the best place to purchase one from

1 What are the screen like on the gp2x next to psp or ds

2 I can purchase one from gbax for £143 for a 266 version or take a chance on a stn version which would be a better choice

3 can the psp or the ds play any emulators e.t.c.?

4 I am very much a retro game play when i get the chance and love my speecy games is it worth geting the tv lead

5 how does the daul core cpu work and do i need it

6 is the gp2 stable hand held and were can i find vidoes pictues of the games or emulators that other user play so i can see what they are like as i heard there is a ps1 emulator for gp2x is it any good and does any know what would be the gp2x limit on emulators.

7 were is the lastes info on what going on with the gp2x and how far can it go before a new version comes out?

8. Is safe to get one from ebay of best go direct to gbax it just they are asking £143 for the consoles whena psp cost around the same aswell as the ds lite
thanks for you advise in advance

Thats a lot of questions and they can all be answered if you have a search in the forums. My only advice would be if you are the type of person who loves to tinker around with things you'll love the GP2X, if not go for a more mainstream console like DS or PSP - but don't expect that playing emulators/homebrew on these will be any easier.

Also for retro gaming GP2X is great, loads of consoles/computers are emulated briliantly but don't expect Ps1 to be any where near full speed (I'm not convinced it ever will be)

The choice is yours but personally I wouldn't be without the GP2X and wouldn't swap it for Ds or PSP.

hello hughes37 i got my gp2x for christmas i have to say i am very impressed :D its great to play retro games and play games people have made.

ok so the screen is quite good i would say and as i own a ds and my friend has a psp i have compared them and i would say overall the psp has the better screen then the 2x then ds.

I got my 2x from gbax and it came in 2 days within ordering it plus it comes with a cd full of emulators and homebrew ready to copy on to your sd card :) .

the anwser is yes to both of them, the ds and psp can play emulators, i have not tried to put homebrew or emulators on my ds but i know you would need somthing like this . For psp im not sure how you would go about puting emulators on but i know it can be done.

I bought a tv-out lead but after getting it i realised that you need a s-vhs lead?(im not so sure) to awnser yor question i would say yes becuase it sounds quite fun to play old games on the big screen again :).

hmm im not quite sure what you mean i supose it helps run video and sound.

well here are some links of emulators playing gp2x overview neo-geo ps1 gba

on theese forums nearly all the latest infomation is posted here for downloads the archive is imo best. you can also check the offical website for future firmware realeses www.gp2x.com

Well i would say yes best to be safe becuase then you can get a warranty but pay the little extra.

hope this helps

tim

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, it really comes down to how proficient you are with computers. do you understand zip files, rar files, etc, and using an sd card & card reader, read readme files to figure out how software works, etc. the gp2x is capable of a lot and if you spend time setting it up to do everything you want, you will have a good time with it.

the ds and the psp both have homebrew for them as well, including emulators. i don't know the details but if you search the forums you will come across lots of threads where people compare emulators. i think that people say MAME on gp2x is the best.

tim, just to clarify: the tv-out cable breaks out into 3 female leads...the usual red/white rca audio, but instead of the yellow rca composite video, they went with s-video. so you need male-to-male (most cables are anyway) rca audio and a male-to-male s-video. if your tv doesn't have s-video in, then you need male-to-male s-video to rca composite.

3 can the psp or the ds play any emulators e.t.c.?

4 I am very much a retro game play when i get the chance and love my speecy games is it worth geting the tv lead

Well if you are used to the GP32 then the GP2X is just as easy to use.

If it is emus you want you can rule out the DS from the choices right off. The small 256x192 resolution screen is just too low res to emulate many consoles (although Speccy does fit) such as NeoGeo and Megadrive.

The PSP is better for the 3D type games like PSX. It is not as good for older 8-16 bit systems because of the weird screen aspect, resolution, and screen ghosting.

So for 8-16 bit the GP2X is best.

love my speecy games is it worth geting the tv lead

Is safe to get one from ebay of best go direct to gbax
Spectrum emulation is great on the 2x, but I havn't tried it on tv out yet.

I would buy from gp2x.co.uk, purley for the after sales service and for everything that craigix puts into the community.

As ruckage said, I wouldn't be without my 2x either :)

hello hughes37 i got my gp2x for christmas i have to say i am very impressed :D its great to play retro games and play games people have made.

ok so the screen is quite good i would say and as i own a ds and my friend has a psp i have compared them and i would say overall the psp has the better screen then the 2x then ds.

I got my 2x from gbax and it came in 2 days within ordering it plus it comes with a cd full of emulators and homebrew ready to copy on to your sd card :) .

the anwser is yes to both of them, the ds and psp can play emulators, i have not tried to put homebrew or emulators on my ds but i know you would need somthing like this . For psp im not sure how you would go about puting emulators on but i know it can be done.

I bought a tv-out lead but after getting it i realised that you need a s-vhs lead?(im not so sure) to awnser yor question i would say yes becuase it sounds quite fun to play old games on the big screen again :).

on theese forums nearly all the latest infomation is posted here for downloads the archive is imo best. you can also check the offical website for future firmware realeses www.gp2x.com

Well i would say yes best to be safe becuase then you can get a warranty but pay the little extra.

hope this helps

tim

Well tim thank you for your time inposting your answers I will be geting my gp2x on friday as that when they told me the will ship it

hope this helps

tim

Well tim thank you for your time inposting your answers I will be geting my gp2x on friday as that when they told me the will ship it

So it can play GBA games WOW my son would love that I wonder if lego star wars (GBA version ) would work

So it can play GBA games WOW my son would love that I wonder if lego star wars (GBA version ) would work

GBA's not quite there yet. It plays some games very fast (but most are slow) but the sound is crazy. It's being worked on by some talented coders though, and they believe it will be fullspeed in time. Just don't count on it as a reason for buying though.

Wow no one mentioned the stick :eek:

Don't forget to buy some good quality rechargables, charger, sd card, card reader.. and probably another usb cable if the ones they come with are still knackered.

love my speecy games is it worth geting the tv lead

Is safe to get one from ebay of best go direct to gbax
Spectrum emulation is great on the 2x, but I havn't tried it on tv out yet.

I would buy from gp2x.co.uk, purley for the after sales service and for everything that craigix puts into the community.

As ruckage said, I wouldn't be without my 2x either :)
I orderd from them on saturdy (is know wednesday) and all i knowis they have withdrawn the money and ive heard nothing from them. i rang them up un tuesday and the women said shed ring me back she never did then when i tried to ring today the number didnt even work.

Business hours please....

its only been a few days, the earliest it would of been posted on is probably monday, and it is indeed now wednesday, if it doesn't arrive tomorrow, phone up again during business hours.

no problems mate glad to help :) what i sugest on getting is a power addaptor, i bought this one recomended by the wiki and this will tell you you to set the power addaptor up for the gp2x.

good luck with your new gp2x i hope it brings the same joy mines does :)

tim

Business hours please....

its only been a few days, the earliest it would of been posted on is probably monday, and it is indeed now wednesday, if it doesn't arrive tomorrow, phone up again during business hours.

checked my inbox earlier today no news, then about oneish got rang up they said that they were sorry and the reason i hadnt recieved my order was due to a late delivery from gamepark. fair enough i thought they said i should have it before one on saturday :D also they said they had sent an email soon as i had finished the phone convo checked my inbox and there was a email :) opended read basically sayin what was said on the phone oh and they are also giving me a FREE tv out cable xD. cant wait till saturday now!!!

Back