Got My Gp2x A Bit Dissapointed But!

hughes37

Still Fresh
Got my gp2x this afternoon Value pack from gp2x. I am disspointed in the build for the amount of money I payed but after loading some of the demos and emulators I think I can live with it.

What I want to know is how can i tell what my cpu is stable at I been garateened 266mzh buy gbax and i woul dlike to test this as i was told all there units are the same but they test some for the stablebilty e.t.c. so i want to test mine.

Also is there away to reset the gp2x with out swithing it off as played mame zx spectrum but have to switch it of to play a new game or emulator also need a psu were is the best price i was told argos can anyone advise please

Thx

If you look through th archive there is a couple of CPU tester programs.
They run through overclocking incrementally until the GP2X crashes. Each speed writes to the SD card so you can look at the txt file and see your most stable speed.

There is no reset button, but most apps will have an exit combination to get you back to the menu.

MAME quits with L + R + Start. Quite a few programs use this combi, if not it's often Start + Select.

What do you mean by "disappointed in the build" ?

What do you mean by "disappointed in the build" ?
I don't get these comments about build quality. The thing is fairly robust, it doesn't rattle, everything is well keyed, the buttons give good tactile feedback, there are no sharp edges, and the plastic looks solid and not like cheap mass blow molded rubbish. So what is the problem? The unusual and distinctive Matt finish - wonderful for not taking smudge marks.

I am quite mystified, maybe I was lucky with my GP2x...

Re psu: take a look at the wiki its very important before plugging in, if you get the polarity reversed it can cause damage.
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/External_power_supply

Only really necessary if your gaming periods extend beyond the life of your batteries, mine rarely do, so I haven't got one yet. Btw it won't charge your batteries for you and apparently the unit resets when you plug it in. :(

No one reads any more.

... I was lied to; my mother told me "Reading is Fundamental"

:(

Don't be disappointed with the GP2X mate, I was the same at first but it grows on you in time, once you get used to the joystick and stuff (which was my biggest problem) it becomes a really playable little machine. Fun times are ahead! :)

As for the PSU, I thought I needed one too, but I bought myself a few sets of batteries and now I have round the clock gaming if I want it so it's not even an issue.

To really test what your CPU can handle, just load up an emulator that has overclocking, like SquidgeSNES, and run it at a high speed (start at 280mhz). If it crashes, lower the speed and try again. If it runs for over ten minutes at that speed, it's probably stable there--try even higher.

re: the "build quality" -- I think why a few people have that perception is because it's so damn light. I personally see that as a very good thing!

Instead of those testers programs, and to be 100% sure, you can load an emulator like SNES or NeoGeo's emulator and start testing each speed, start by 266 mhz, if stable try 275 mhz, if not 270 mhz, until you find the maximum stable overclock for your unit.
Build quality, mmm, I dont know what to say, I hate black electronic devices (especially if there were not additional touches like parts in different colors/materials), maybe it is the color that makes you feel it is low quality? I have never dropped mine, but many members here had and all what most of them suffered was the batteries' spring twists a litlle so it doesn't make a contact with the battery, but beside that, GP2X is not of that bad quality.
Regarding the price, some shops are cheap, others are expensive, and you have your own complex customs policy in the UK, my unit cost was less than $205 to my door step, and it hits more than 266 easily.
Regarding the reset thing, most games use a combination to exit to the main menu of the GP2X, all you have to do is to read the read me files that come with each application, some of these applications, offer an option on the main screen or the configuration menu (if it was an emulator) to reset the GP2X.
Regarding the PSU I advice you to use the original one supplied by GP2X themselves, although it will cost more, but this way you can rest assured your GP2X is working on the exact recommended settings, I got two myself, one for the unit an dthe other for the BOB to power high voltage devices, and by the way the bulid quality of these PSU is as high as my branded charger that came with the laptop am using to send you this now.
Welcome to the community, and we all hope you enjoy your GP2X as many of us are doing :)

You can't really expect GPH to compete with Sony or Apple in terms of hardware. The GP2X's strength lies in its massive amount of free, high quality software.

Have fun!

- Alex

Thanks for your commets. When I opened my gp2x I thought the build was some what cheap when you put it next to the psp or the ds but after about 10 mins it did not bother me as this little machine is amzing and i will be having alot of fun with it trying out all my fav games of yester year. one thinkg i notice is after a while I have what can only be called crash lines with all preety colours e.t.c it tells me in the manul that i need to change the batters which i did and how working again i love it :eek:)

Instead of those testers programs, and to be 100% sure, you can load an emulator like SNES or NeoGeo's emulator and start testing each speed, start by 266 mhz, if stable try 275 mhz, if not 270 mhz, until you find the maximum stable overclock for your unit.
Build quality, mmm, I dont know what to say, I hate black electronic devices (especially if there were not additional touches like parts in different colors/materials), maybe it is the color that makes you feel it is low quality? I have never dropped mine, but many members here had and all what most of them suffered was the batteries' spring twists a litlle so it doesn't make a contact with the battery, but beside that, GP2X is not of that bad quality.
Regarding the price, some shops are cheap, others are expensive, and you have your own complex customs policy in the UK, my unit cost was less than $205 to my door step, and it hits more than 266 easily.
Regarding the reset thing, most games use a combination to exit to the main menu of the GP2X, all you have to do is to read the read me files that come with each application, some of these applications, offer an option on the main screen or the configuration menu (if it was an emulator) to reset the GP2X.
Regarding the PSU I advice you to use the original one supplied by GP2X themselves, although it will cost more, but this way you can rest assured your GP2X is working on the exact recommended settings, I got two myself, one for the unit an dthe other for the BOB to power high voltage devices, and by the way the bulid quality of these PSU is as high as my branded charger that came with the laptop am using to send you this now.
Welcome to the community, and we all hope you enjoy your GP2X as many of us are doing :)

Thanks for your commets. When I opened my gp2x I thought the build was some what cheap when you put it next to the psp or the ds but after about 10 mins it did not bother me as this little machine is amzing and i will be having alot of fun with it trying out all my fav games of yester year. one thinkg i notice is after a while I have what can only be called crash lines with all preety colours e.t.c it tells me in the manul that i need to change the batters which i did and how working again i love it :eek:)

Last edited by a moderator:
no kidding I have been running mine on Uniross green 1300 ni-mh batteries which serve my hungry digi cam well (it eats Duracell M3's after about 6 shots) but the GP2X just went :p slurrp yummy wheres the next ones.
Ive bought myself a set of ever ready 2500's now maybe they will be better :rolleyes:

I couldn't wait for my GP2X and had a SD card full of SD content ready to play.

Suffered a slight, oh well is that it after receiving it and playing "briefly".

Since then the thing has just grown and grown on me.

Originally purchased for emulating and dusting off my coding skills.

Now I finding I am playing more and more homebrew and less emulation, which I am surprised about.

1 month in from receiving it and I'm still looking forwards to my daily commute to get a slice of gaming into me hectic schedule. B)

Yeah for some reason the longer you have the GP2x the more it grows on you and you find yourself playing and enjoying it more.

Back