Nintendo World, New York

Mark

Boris Johnson: Cuddly Conservative
Website
www.gp-magazine.org.uk
You'll have to forgive me for my laziness, I'm just copying and pasting this from what I typed in another forum.

I appologuise for the poor quality of the pictures, my digital camera doesn't like cold/light/taking photographs.

Me and my girlfriend have just got back from Manhattan, and have a look at some of the things you can buy in Nintendo World, the former Pokémon Center.

406000591ie.jpg

As soon as you walk in, you're greeted by this class cabinet with DS's coated in Schwortzi (typo) Crystal. All of them were $499, bar the pawprint one which was $599. The people working there said that there was originally 3 DS's in each row, so they've sold quite a few. The prices weren't that bad compared to simular items, like a Hello Kitty Purse for $2000 in the same style.

406000614su.jpg

This one was $499. There were no price labels on any of them, and to be honest the reason is damn clear.

406000602hn.jpg

This one was a genuinely considered purchase, but we couldn't (read: I had to talk her out of) spending $599 on a DS. Very nice, though.

406000648pq.jpg

Now, this is something. A prototype of the NES that to be honest I'd never heard of, called the Nintendo Advance System. It was only ever shown the once at an expo or a conference in Las Vegas in 1984/85 I believe, and had a lightgun, joystick and two wireless pads, along with a diskdrive and keyboard. Note the lack of the Nintendo-style D-Pads.

406000651bd.jpg

Closer view of the pads.

406000680ul.jpg

Here's a Game Boy that was damaged in the Gulf War, and still somehow works enough to play Tetris.

We ended up taking back plenty of games, bags, hats, t-shirts, wrapping paper and nik-naks from here, and it was really a great place to be. Sorry for the lack of actual store pictures, but they're even worse than these.

Deleted User posted on Dec 12 2005 at 10:06 PM said:
cool what free stuff u get?

Not much free, but some really nice paper bags (I brought a shoulder style throw over too) and we both got a calender because we spent about $100 each, and that was just one transaction ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i went there w/ psymastr when miyamoto was there signing. I had meh special edition famicom micro, but didnt get it signed cuz fucking miyamoto felt the need to leave :(

I never quite got over that. So thanks for bringing up bad memories :angry:

when I was there for the Miyamoto signing, I saw this hot fatigue army designed crystal ds I was realllllllly interested in. Too much $ for me though

And I fail to see why the paw ds is $100 more than the others. IMO they were much nicer.

Yeah that place is awesome. With all the DS, and GC games to play, it awesome. I wanted to buy some of that stuff, but I didn't have any money left :( Anyways, I never saw those DS's, where were they again?

I believe they're displayed on the first floor by the entrance. I've heard they made special edition DSs but they all feel so tacky to me. Honeslt why can I not just have a nice black DS?

The nintendo store (formerly the pokemon center) Is a nice place to visit for a few free gaming sessions but not much of a "free swag" type of place even though I was told by an employee that the purpose of the store was to deliver the "nintendo experience" more than it was to make money.

aQwaBlaz3 posted on Dec 14 2005 at 02:58 AM said:
Holy crap.......what are you guys? Like.......13?

You dudes are young...
¬_¬

aQwaBlaz3 posted on Dec 13 2005 at 10:58 PM said:
Holy crap.......what are you guys? Like.......13?

You dudes are young...

geekness knows no age limit.
they still contribute to the gp32 community and that's a plus in my book

Actually, the asian kid and the other kid in the first picture isnt me or DCGM. Just to clear it up. No, were not 13 (Although they are 15) im 16, and DCGM when unbanned can post his age if he wants.

Alpha2 posted on Dec 14 2005 at 09:55 PM said:
I believe they're displayed on the first floor by the entrance. I've heard they made special edition DSs but they all feel so tacky to me. Honeslt why can I not just have a nice black DS?

The nintendo store (formerly the pokemon center) Is a nice place to visit for a few free gaming sessions but not much of a "free swag" type of place even though I was told by an employee that the purpose of the store was to deliver the "nintendo experience" more than it was to make money.
Too bad I missed it.

Back