Nintendo Patents Handheld Emulation Software

Im really starting to hate nintendo. I dont believe the patent can hold up in court. They cant own another persons hardwork for another platform(like the GP32). I believe it will have effect for a time then fade away as if Nintendo had never acquired the patent.

Welcome to last month.

Population: You. ;)

EDIT: However I'll be nice since you weren't a forum member back when the news first hit.

are u sure? i mean im really starting to get worried, they might persue individuals?

old discussion,read old post about this theme, US PATENTS ONLY are legal in US and canada, not in europe, for example.
Nintendo need a world patent, and with the european laws against monopoly companies, its really hard.
Make a gba emu,put in a european, african,asian site, and its totally legal.

US isnt the begginig and the end of the world,there are many other countries.....
....always the same....

How can u be sure and more importantly, how can u be sure they wont start persuing individuals for having and downloading roms?

I disbelive that European courts are tougher on monopolies since in the U.S. Microsoft lost its legal battle with "Lindows OS" while in europe Microsoft won and now "Lindows OS" can only use that name in the U.S. and needs to change in europe and asia.

I really dought that Nintendo have patented the right to emulate every hand held. Perhaps their own but others? Somehow I think Sony would have something to say about that. As far as going after individuals who have roms, the most that can ever happen is scare tactics. Even Nintendo doesn't have enough money to go after every single person who has a rom and a rom from a none nintendo machine? fk all they could do about it unless it was written by them originally.

How can u be sure and more importantly, how can u be sure they wont start pursuing individuals for having and downloading roms?

First of all, they have been trying to do this for years with all the P2P applications and have been unsuccessful. As long as US congress keeps rejecting a platform on enabling companies to "Hack and disable a suspected p2p node without express permission" we should be ok. ;)

Odds are Nintendo isn't going to pursue the gp32. One of the main reasons why Firestorm gbaZ was targeted (other than dumbass Heko, let's hope there isn't a GP32 Heko, people!) was because it is made by a company that develops commercial games for a handheld and sells them (they sold the gbaZ), versus, some guy(s) who only has a small website with a yahoo/hotmail email account on it, and is distributing the emulator through small websites like GP32x. No need to worry people! Even if Nintendo does start attacking the GP32, how the hell are they going to persue us? Just because we're on this board doesn't mean we download roms, and also, the only way (that I can think of) that they are going to pursue you is if they put up a rom bait site themselves and you go there and download a rom, and I'm sure none of us will fall for that.

I think the gp32 not well know yet. They probably mean they are going after the pc emulators. VBA for the pc is a great GBA emulator and more and more roms are just coming. Well i think we don't have to worry bout that as long as they don't take drastic measures. :)

if they actually hosted roms there and you had some decent ip blocking software you could use that to ur advantage

Yeah but they only need to find one person say on this forum that does it and they'd go after the lot. As for nintendo's money problems I wouldn't be too sure there are any. Latest news is that nintendo have enough money to buy several software companys and crew in japan and still have money left. THey could easily take anyone to court but it won't hold up here.

I can imagine nintedo sueing sony for emulating the ps1 and ps2 on the ps3 as that is the way the ps3 will support the older systems by emulating them. surely nintendo cant sue sony for emulating their own hardware? but if they have a patent then they should try, and should lose the trial so that they can get what they deserve. :D

Back