The End Of Emulation?

It is also possible that these companies are actually paying royalties to Nintendo for the privilage of rumble in their controllers. Sometimes companies make a good amount of their income through owning many patents. I do believe Nintendo is one of them.

try as they might they will never stop emulation. its already gone too far to stop. and its not like the emulators on the developers site is the only copy. they would spend years going through old sites and IRC to stop the trafficing of the emus.

and anyways if the emulator wasnt the same exact code that is on the patent or really close to it then it couldnt do any damage to the existing emus.

Also with emulation the emulator is completely legal, but if you have one of the roms you mus have the original carts. So if you are a bit of a retro fiend like me with my NES :D everything will be ok. Yet it doesn't really bother me since I want to be playing classics like "World of Illusion" on my gp32 :D

kknd_cf posted on Mar 18 2004 at 07:50 AM said:
Also with emulation the emulator is completely legal, but if you have one of the roms you mus have the original carts. So if you are a bit of a retro fiend like me with my NES :D everything will be ok. Yet it doesn't really bother me since I want to be playing classics like "World of Illusion" on my gp32 :D
Not all emulators are legal. They are only legal under certain conditions. First and foremost, and the issue that Nintendo is pressing, is they cannot contain any game specific hacks (which many incomplete and high end emulators do). Normally this is a gray area, the same grey area that shut down UltraHLE, but with the recently granted patent, that grey area is a little clearer.

And commercial roms themselves are far from legal even if you own the cart, people think that if you own the original you can play the rom and that is WRONG. It is legal to HAVE a copy, but not to USE that copy (another point which Nintendo is pressing) unless your original (which you must still own and have in your possesion) is in an unplayable condition. And even so, if the game has any kind of copy protection (many carts do, although its a very weak protection) and the emulator bypasses this protection, that is against the law.

So to recap, to legally play an emulator with a commercial rom:
1. The emulator must contain no game specific hacks or copy protection work arrounds. (good luck finding one)
2. You must own and have possession of an original copy of the rom and it must be in an unplayable condition (the only legal way you can USE an archivial backup)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, but maaaybe we shouldnt think about that too hard as it pretty much meas we're all openly breaking the law here...and nobody wants that. :p

Alpha2 posted on Mar 18 2004 at 09:10 AM said:
yeah, but maaaybe we shouldnt think about that too hard as it pretty much meas we're all openly breaking the law here...and nobody wants that. :p
Yeah, its just a VERY common misconception, people believe everything the rom sites tell them which can get them in alot of trouble if the shit should ever hit the fan one day like MP3s recently did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back