Nintendo 3DS

While it's true that Nintendo are looking for new markets (hence FPS with Splatoon), their original franchises still sell like hotcakes - and for good reason. They are generally much better at what they do than anyone else. The two games you mentioned Rayman and Sonic Transformed are insignificant to me - I hate Rayman and Sonic is of no importance to me, no matter what game you put him in. I loved Sonic games on the MD all those years ago, but since Dreamcast I've not enjoyed a single one. But then I'm not a fan of 2d Mario platform games either, but I have enjoyed Mario spin-offs, like Golf, Tennis, Kart and especially Paper Mario (inc Mario & Luigi) etc.

I don't see them returning to greatness anytime soon
You never can tell. With a plethora of gaming devices out there, and the "possible" use of mobile phone tech it can take just one game to turn things around. I hate to return to Pokemon, but that did it for GameBoy. A repeat is possible - either with a new franchise or an existing one. They don;t have to return to greatness - they just have to survive. And they will.

Admittedly the whole gaming market has changed significantly since the early days, but huge hits on mobile phones can also become huge hits on handheld or consoles. Fewer devs are supporting Vita than 3DS and with the New 3DS coming soon (which will undoubtedly sell like hotcakes) and the amount of money Nintendo still has in the bank they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I also got those codes, and don't know anyone else with a 3DS ... so 3 spare ones here, but I don't know if they are locked to a certain region.
If you have a spare one for Europe could I have it? I'd be eternally grateful!
I've sent you one in a PM.

Still one left after that one.
Just so you know, these codes expire on September 19 (at least in the US).  If the date gets too close, just drop it in a giveaway thread on Reddit so it gets used. 

-Glyph Reader

Casual gaming is huge now, you need only look at the mobile space to see how huge - ie like candy crush, mega huge, mega annual profits.  Problem for Nintendo isn't that people moved away from casual games, they certainly haven't , in fact casual gaming has exploded .   The problem though for Nintendo is that mobile causal games have encroached on their turf.  It doesn't help that these casual mobile games cost less than a tenth of console games. Of course this is only one aspect of their issues they have, there are other issues and factors of course

On a different note, I don't get gamers sometimes. Particularly I don't get this whole there is one winner and everything else is a failure mentality.  ie right now , according to gamers comments you read on tech sites etc, there is only one game console (PS4)  the rest are complete failures.  It's a little sad to think a lot of gamers have this attitude.  I call it the Highlander mentality , ie there can only be one.   Also there is an attitude that if a console isn't doing well , that marks the end of that company.  So fickle are gamers, and also quick to call the end for companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite like the NES controller styled 3DS...

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/buy#threeDS-XL-nes

3ds-xl-nes-back.png
3ds-xl-nes-front.png

Casual gaming is huge now, you need only look at the mobile space to see how huge - ie like candy crush, mega huge, mega annual profits.  Problem for Nintendo isn't that people moved away from casual games, they certainly haven't , in fact casual gaming has exploded .   The problem though for Nintendo is that mobile causal games have encroached on their turf.  It doesn't help that these casual mobile games cost less than a tenth of console games. Of course this is only one aspect of their issues they have, there are other issues and factors of course

On a different note, I don't get gamers sometimes. Particularly I don't get this whole there is one winner and everything else is a failure mentality.  ie right now , according to gamers comments you read on tech sites etc, there is only one game console (PS4)  the rest are complete failures.  It's a little sad to think a lot of gamers have this attitude.  I call it the Highlander mentality , ie there can only be one.   Also there is an attitude that if a console isn't doing well , that marks the end of that company.  So fickle are gamers, and also quick to call the end for companies.
I agree the "casual" market didn't leave, they just realized they no longer needed to pay "N" or 3rd parties $20-$40 for games, when free and $2-$3 game fill the same need on tablets and smartphones. This is where my big issue with "N" lies. They now condemn the "casuals" as being not for them, but they never where for them.

"N" had an idea to simplify gaming(which wasn't a bad idea), and simplifying the controls was all they really did. Along with that new concept, they should have also change their business model and offered more competitive priced games. In the end, they blame the market, when really they are to blame for not really filling the "casuals" real needs & wants.

They wanted the same revenue they always received for basic crap games, and the public didn't buy in to it long term. Now they want to say, we are returning to a "core" market, but that market has change and expanded to. "N" really just doesn't fit anywhere currently except for a very small demographic of kids, families, and longtime fans, which is OK by me, but they are loosing money each year which is not OK and then blaming "the winds of change" for the issue.

In another few years when this strategy fails, they will blame someone, or something else for their problems and continue to do so. Honestly, I've been seeing the same actions from within "N" for 20+ years, and sadly I see no one currently there who has any real vision for "change", just more excuses.

Chris

I'm trying to figure out if, once the homebrew channel is installed, you still need the original game to run it. It kind of suggests that you do by saying "go to the QR code menu" but I'm not sure if that means what I think it means or if I can get away with just borrowing the game.

As far as I have seen you do still need the game.  Since the 3ds software is encrypted they are just patching stuff in memory.

Yeah, you do need the game every time you load the Homebrew Channel, at least for now. We'll have to see if a future update will change that but for now the two options are buying the retail game or using a flash cart. Unfortunately, since the title of the game was released the price has quadrupled and I've read that Nintendo has asked retailers to stop selling it as well.

Why? I've got a Pandora that is already capable of running homebrew without fighting against the company producing it. Coding for a 3DS would be interesting but not interesting enough to engage in capitalism.

Apparently the latest update fixed some of the ninjhex exploits. Don't update if you want to run homebrew

Yeah I've not updated mine for this reason, though hoping something gets worked on for that as I would like to hit the eShop and buy some more Sega classics to play in 3D.

I got Space Harrier and Shinobi 3, but would like Altered Beast and probably any others available.

I want to keep the exploit though for running some SNES favs

Back