Nintendo 3DS

Oooh is there anymore :D
I don't have anymore, but don't worry, the demo releases to everyone next week. From what I've seen, if your a fan, it's more of the same(like a new Mario Kart, 2D Mario, or Zelda). If your not a fan, this won't be making you one.

Chris

Oh, and don't forget the difference between the platinum code demo and the demo being released September 19th!  The platinum code demo has unlimited uses, while the other demo will have only 30 uses before you can no longer play it. 

-Glyph Reader

I also got those codes, and don't know anyone else with a 3DS ... so 3 spare ones here, but I don't know if they are locked to a certain region.

I also got those codes, and don't know anyone else with a 3DS ... so 3 spare ones here, but I don't know if they are locked to a certain region.
What region are you from?  If in Europe, then EU-codes.  If USA, then US-codes, etc.  I don't know the other regions of the top of my head, but the email might tell you the region. 

-Glyph Reader

Ah ok so EU is just one region? Then it should work there ...

(Since this is from Nintendo I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd lock it down to the country :p )

Oh, and don't forget the difference between the platinum code demo and the demo being released September 19th!  The platinum code demo has unlimited uses, while the other demo will have only 30 uses before you can no longer play it. 

-Glyph Reader
Oh WOW, I didn't know that(probably because I don't follow SB at all). Good to know though, as I was getting excited that "N" was finally changing the dumbest shit they have done in 30+ years by adding limits to an already limited "demo", I should have known better. How the mighty have fallen :p

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and just to clarify, a "use" is removed every time you exit the demo (as in when it is terminated, not suspended).  You can use any demo indefinitely by just staying in it.  Of course, I have never liked the limits of the demos, and the SSB demo is already neutered enough:  5 characters out of the 40-something, 2:00 min matches only, and local multi-player only.  The 30 use limit seems kind of random, since you wouldn't really want to play this version of the game that long anyways. 

Regardless, the demo will help me wait until October for the SSB launch. 

-Glyph Reader

You can also use the Demo unlimitet, if you just put your 3DS in Sleep Mode by close the Lid, if you ditnt continue to play yet,

When you wants to Play, just open it, and the Counter is at 1 when you get the Fullversion..

When you wants to Play other Games, just use your Pandora for DS/ and other games, or play whit our Vita..

Oh, and just to clarify, a "use" is removed every time you exit the demo (as in when it is terminated, not suspended).  You can use any demo indefinitely by just staying in it.

-Glyph Reader
This I actually did know^, as I have had to do it for some of the 5 use and under games. I really wish "N" would go back to innovation in their games, as when the try to do it anywhere else, it is a "joke", and not a good one :(

Chris

This I actually did know^, as I have had to do it for some of the 5 use and under games
TBF having a demo that only allows you to play once is better than none at all. It's a "joke" if there isn't one, nowadays.

I think most demos allow you to ascertain whether a game is worth purchasing after one extended play. If you require 5 uses to decide then I'd say that, yes, you probably do like it and therefore probably should commit to buying.

I can't think of a single demo where I've wanted to play more than once before making a decision (usually no!).

Besides, it's not Nintendo that creates the demos - it's the software companies themselves. There is no hard rule policies from Nintendo that all games must have a free demo. So blaming Nintendo is more than a tad unfair.

This I actually did know^, as I have had to do it for some of the 5 use and under games
TBF having a demo that only allows you to play once is better than none at all. It's a "joke" if there isn't one, nowadays.

I think most demos allow you to ascertain whether a game is worth purchasing after one extended play. If you require 5 uses to decide then I'd say that, yes, you probably do like it and therefore probably should commit to buying.

I can't think of a single demo where I've wanted to play more than once before making a decision (usually no!).

Besides, it's not Nintendo that creates the demos - it's the software companies themselves. There is no hard rule policies from Nintendo that all games must have a free demo. So blaming Nintendo is more than a tad unfair.
The demo limits is from "N", as the same companies that have game demo's on the WiiU & 3DS, also have demo's on the PS3, 360 and none of those demo's have limits, so where do you think it came from? 3rd parties who already sale next to NO games on "N" platforms is going to alienate even more potential customers by limiting uses for an already limited demo? I DON"T THINK SO!

I agree, that there isn't much reason to play a demo past a few tries, but that still doesn't make "limits" any less dumb. The same argument you make is everywhere any "N" fan tries to defend this, and I just can't say this is OK. I shouldn't have to "think" about how best to play a demo, so I don't run out of a chance to try it, that is just "retarded", plain & simple.

Ultimately, it's a catch 22 argument, as one side can say, why do you need more than a few plays, and then the other side can say, why is there a limit to a demo, that is already limited to maybe 3-5% of the actual game. 

Was the demo's that we have all been using for years now "broken" in some way, where "limits" needed to be added? This is the question you really have to ask. They weren't broke, as they where, so why did "N" feel the need to change the "standard", and this is where the problem comes in.

They changed it for no other reason than that they didn't bring demo's to the market first, and they need to say that they aren't copying others, so we get "limits". This is sadly what "N" has become, and why they will never be great again until they get rid of the clowns working there who think shit like this is a good idea(Iwata, I'm looking at you) :angry:  Sorry about my rant, but instead of making great and innovative games like they once did, they are spending "Major" time, on "Minor" things and wonder why the results suck. By them releasing a demo now that has no limits, shows the fact that the "limits" are indeed an issue, otherwise why release a demo that doesn't have them?

Chris

Perhaps the 30 usage limit is to stop people who are happy enough with the demo from not buying the full release. I don't agree with this strategy but I guess that's why I don't work in publishing.

But it strikes me that this strategy is only punishing the people who genuinely can't afford the full release.

I'm led to believe that the demo contains a few characters and even a local multiplayer mode. I know that it's restricted to 2 minutes but put it this way:

If somebody released a fighting game with 5 characters, had local multiplayer and 2 minute rounds for free, I'd be happy with it (providing it was a good game of course). But if they turned around after 30 games and told me I wasn't allowed to play it anymore I'd be furious.

So:

Nintendo release a demo.

Your friend plays it for a bit, decides they like it enough to play but not to buy, so they don't.

Nintendo cuts him off, because how dare he not pay for it?

You get it, play it, love it, but can't fork over €60 for it, so decide the demo will do.

Nintendo cuts you off, because of people like your friend.

Now I hope that this isn't Nintendo's strategy, but based on what I've seen of the industry lately (project ten dollar anyone?), I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Chris, I enjoyed your rant

Chris, I enjoyed your rant
Thanks, but I really wish I didn't have to rant, especially when it comes to "N". I love these guys probably more than any other gaming entity of my 35+ years of gaming, and it's like having a relative who you know is on a self destructive path of(sex, drugs, gambling, etc), and there's nothing you can do to help them until they realize they have a problem.

Chris

Why should publishers and developers give their game away free forever? They are businesses after all. Playing a demo 50 times(or whatever) and not purchasing the game pretty much sums up the mentality of the user, not the company offering the demo.

I see no problem with imposed limits on demos - most have restrictions within them anyway (and not just those from Nintendo).

Having a demo to try is better than having none at all, even with restrictions.

it's like having a relative who you know is on a self destructive path of(sex, drugs, gambling, etc), and there's nothing you can do to help them until they realize they have a problem.
Seriously? You equate Nintendo with Grandma & Grandpa etc? You do realize then that you have a problem here, right? :p

Nintendo aren't self-destructing, but yeah sure they've made some very obvious mistakes, but then so have every other company - looks at SONY with the PS3 and M$ with the ONE. They've also tried an awful lot of new things with hardware and software. Changing the playing field doesn't always get immediate results and changes aren't always seen as positive at first. Just look atWii, DS and 3DS. All laughed at from the start.

Why should publishers and developers give their game away free forever? They are businesses after all. Playing a demo 50 times(or whatever) and not purchasing the game pretty much sums up the mentality of the user, not the company offering the demo.

I see no problem with imposed limits on demos - most have restrictions within them anyway (and not just those from Nintendo).

Having a demo to try is better than having none at all, even with restrictions.
This is the exact problem^, and why only blind "N" loyalist don't see the problem here.

You stated the "facts" of this issue well. The demo is already limited, so why limit it further? That makes no sense whatsoever. Why not add a "time" limit to the "try" limits, to the limits of the already limited demo? When would it all stop. It's a DEMO for Christ sake, why does it matter if a guy want's to play it a 1000 times? This does nothing but piss people off for no good reason except to say, we originated the "limits" on demo's mentality.

The first demo of this nature I tried was RE revelations on the 3DS, and I was a little put off by RE 5, so the demo was great to try before I buy. I played it maybe 5-6 times, as I knew I wanted to purchase the game after the first go, but it was fun to run through it a few more times. Most consumers would come to this same conclusion in short order. 

If I played it 100 times, and still didn't buy it, it could be for any number of reasons. Maybe the demo didn't offer enough gaming to get a good idea of the what the overall game might be like(which would be hard to argue if I played it 100 times, but whatever). Maybe I'm broke, and can't buy the game currently. Maybe I love the game so much, I want to play it all the time until it's released and I can buy it. I could go on and on, but in the end, what does the limiting of the demo get "N"? Any of my examples given isn't going to change on the consumer end by adding "limits", all we get is exactly what me and you are doing here? Debating the reasons why a limited demo, needs to be limited even further. It only serves to have blind diehards defend it, and long time fans like myself say how stupid "N" has become(or vice versa).

If there was no issue with the demo limits by "N" owns admission or yours, why did they just offer a demo with no limits? This removes any arguments anyone could make for this limited idea. If it was OK, and no one has an issue, why remove it as a reward to CN platinum users? Couldn't a fan of SB decide if they wanted the game or not within 10, 20, or 30 uses? Of course they could, so why not now argue why they have offered a no limit demo? 

For me personally, I never laughed at the DS, and it's the biggest selling handheld or console of all time. I believe it even has greater sales than the PS2 wordwide. It was a great idea, and that's why it's still selling well in the 3DS form. The only issue it had early on was how ugly it looked, and how poorly the screen functioned, but everyone loved the unique 2 screen gameplay. I don't believe anyone laughed at the 3DS either, EVERYONE just thought it was overpriced for what it offered, hence the price drop and improved sales.

Now the Wii was laughed at, and it is gone and won't be back. It had great sales, as many "fad" items of life do, but in 10, 20, or 30 years, it will never be remembered as a great console(it did have some great games though), as everything it tried to do or introduce is gone from gaming just one generation after. That shows just how poor it really was. It gave "N" the big head issues they currently have. "We can limit a limited demo and everyone will love it", this is beyond bad thinking. Every "N" console since the NES has been selling less than than the previous generation, with the exception of the Wii, and they are right back on trend for the WiiU to sale less than the GC.

Like I have said before, I love "N" for all they have done for gaming, and I really wish I was arguing the greatness of the latest 3D Mario, Zelda, StarFox, or Metroid, but instead we as fans are arguing about limits on demo's. Can we all not see the problem of this? 

Chris

Again you miss the point completely. Nintendo nor publishers have to issue a demo. You are not entitled. Whether the demo is single use or never ends it doesn't matter. Releasing demos or Lite versions of games has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to reduce sales. Just go look for yourself. So why is that good commercial sense to a business?

Nobody is laughing at DS, 3DS or Wii now - and I never said you were. They all proved that Nintendo's out of the box thinking managed to change the way we play games. And that's exactly what Nintendo is still trying to do. Sure, with the WiiU so far they seem to have dropped the ball, but there's still plenty of time and lifge left in the old dog yet. It's unlikely to ever reach the dizzying greatness of the Wii or other machines, but Nintendo can easily turn things around into profitability again. They've done it time and again. The Pokemon franchise for instance is massively under-used on home consoles. A MMO or decent Pokegame could turn things around in an instant.

It's actually only you arguing about the restrictions on demos - I'm happy with whatever they release as long as it gives me the opportunity to at least play a portion of the game that gives a realistic expectation of the full version.

They all proved that Nintendo's out of the box thinking managed to change the way we play games. And that's exactly what Nintendo is still trying to do. Sure, with the WiiU so far they seem to have dropped the ball, but there's still plenty of time and lifge left in the old dog yet. It's unlikely to ever reach the dizzying greatness of the Wii or other machines, but Nintendo can easily turn things around into profitability again. They've done it time and again. The Pokemon franchise for instance is massively under-used on home consoles. A MMO or decent Pokegame could turn things around in an instant.
This is very true^, but that "N" is long gone, and I don't see them returning to greatness anytime soon. I actually like some of the WiiU's ideas, especially the off screen play, but when you look at what they have done for the tablet controller overall, it shows just how little of a plan they had for it's future. Then I look at the Vita and Shield, and see how their remote play works, and "N" is left in the dust. The tablet controller is really just a glorified DS. Where DS works well in the palm of the hand, it doesn't work the same when two screens need to be watch at 2 separate locations.

I've been a fan since they started, and where I love their handhelds, their consoles have been lackluster for many generations now, and the hope that one game is going to change the tides is wishful thinking at best. Their region locking, limited demo's, lack of proper account system are all little things on there own, but when added together equals "N" broken mind set.

Miyamoto just came out a few weeks ago and said how stupid it was for "N" to follow the casual market, and how they will now return to the dedicated game market. When the casual market was buying the Wii in droves, that market was fine, but now that it's gone, now we need to change. This is their biggest issue of the last 20 years, "N" NEVER says they where wrong and that they made a mistake. All I see is Iwata and everyone under his command blaming the world for why they are failing.

If your in business(any business), your job is to gauge the market, trends and act accordingly. Everyone was moving to CD's, NOT NINTENDO. Everyone wa moving to HD, NOT NINTENDO. "N" biggest issues have always been their lack of adaptability to the market. They always say how they aren't in competition with Sony/MS, but then when sales are down, they will say how they need to do this and that better, but will never say it's the market that is dictating there change of mind. 

If your in gaming, your competition is anyone else who is doing similar things to you. It was great to march to their own drum 20-30 years ago, as after the market crash, they where the only ones in the game. Then along came Sega, and "N" had such a lock on 3rd parties, they still only had themselves to follow. Since real competition has arrived in the form of Apple, Sony and MS, they have been failing in the console market. You can't say we don't follow others, and then when business is down, blame everything & everyone else for your problems.

If everyone playing games like them region free, and with proper accounts(cross buy), and unlimited demo's, and trophies/achievements etc, why not follow that road? It really doesn't matter if "N" ever comes around or not, as there are more than enough guys now making great games that are often times better than what they have to offer.

I had more fun with Sonic Transformed, and Rayman Origins, than I've had with any MK or 2D Mario game of recent years. And this is where most consumers no longer care about "N" and what they are doing. We hang on to our memories, and that fuels most of what they have going currently, but even that is dying for fans like myself. They are no longer alone in gaming, and their "our way or the highway" mentality is killing them slowly.

Chris

Back