Nintendo 3DS

A 3DS without 3D? So it's basicly an normal NDS? Somehow I don't get it. And if it is for Kids, the Clamshell would be the safer construction than 2 open and vulnerable LCDs at one "Pad". Hmm... some marketing gurus need to explain the reason of such an Device.

However, it seems to be well built, nice surface, I like this kind of Quality. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, I was at the Gamestop Expo today, and I had no clue this was announced. I was actually planning to my son a 3DS XL for Christmas, but I think this is a better system overall. Yeah, it's missing the 3D, but considering how much he moves when he plays, there was no way in hell he could ever keep the "sweet spot".

I also have to say, the lack of clamshell is great. My son destroys that, and it is just something else to break. So are the screens XL Size? If so, this is a no brainer for me. Why spend 200 for an XL that I'm sure my son would break in short order, when I can get this cheap and not have to pay for a feature he couldn't appreciate anyway?

I can honestly say this is one of the better Nintendo ideas I've seen in 20+ years. I guess If I didn't have kids, this wouldn't appeal to me, but as it stands, this is genius.

Chris

WOW, I was at the Gamestop Expo today, and I had no clue this was announced. I was actually planning to my son a 3DS XL for Christmas, but I think this is a better system overall. Yeah, it's missing the 3D, but considering how much he moves when he plays, there was no way in hell he could ever keep the "sweet spot".

I also have to say, the lack of clamshell is great. My son destroys that, and it is just something else to break. So are the screens XL Size? If so, this is a no brainer for me. Why spend 200 for an XL that I'm sure my son would break in short order, when I can get this cheap and not have to pay for a feature he couldn't appreciate anyway?

I can honestly say this is one of the better Nintendo ideas I've seen in 20+ years. I guess If I didn't have kids, this wouldn't appeal to me, but as it stands, this is genius.

Chris
He'll break the screens instead of the hinge now  :)

Chris
He'll break the screens instead of the hinge now  :)
Probably :lol:

Yeah, I just looked up the info on this, and I see it's screens are on par with the original 3DS and not the XL. So the overall size will be smaller as well. I really think this is looking good. I may be getting one for Jr.

Chris

the lack of clamshell is great.
OMG it looks awful you mean. I've never seen a Nintendo product with such a shittiest design before. Ah, maybe the Virtual Boy is on the same level. That says a lot. If you want a sign that Nintendo is "losing it", look no further. 
When I say lack of clamshell is great, I'm referring to my son using it. I personally love the XL and it's clamshell design. Moving parts and kids don't mix, so I think this is brilliant. I honestly use my 3D morethan most, but the standard user has no need for that feature. So taking it away, seems like a good idea. It's also admitting that it was an unnecessary feature to begin with, overall It's all about choices. Their not removing any units at retail, just adding to the overall amount of what's available. This can only help sales, as it provides a cheap alternative for parents who may not have responsible kids, or even for adults who just don't want or need "3D"

Chris

OMG it looks awful you mean.
Once again, it is not designed for you. They are intentionally marketing it to 4,5,6 year olds. It is like you are picking up some duplo blocks and complaining that they are the biggest, ugliest lego you have ever seen.

I don't get it neither.  With the regular 3DS, one can still turn off the 3D feature and lock it with a password so kids can't turn it on. 

I don't like the design - but I do get that it's to remove the hinge as a possible failure point and big chunky design for the younger gamers. (The original Gameboy was chunky - dunno how it compares to this...)

So I think it's a good idea overall for those concerned that the 3D effect may hurt youngsters eyes and worried about damaging the thing... although my main concern is that the screen itself is now exposed... :S

Perhaps 3rd party clip on screen covers will be a big sell?

EDIT: In response to 3DS yes you can do that for a responsible kid - but this is cheaper than the 3DS. (Apparently the dual screens are actually a single screen.)

This is one for the collectors and the youngsters... those with the cash - will just get the 3DS.

I don't get it neither.  With the regular 3DS, one can still turn off the 3D feature and lock it with a password so kids can't turn it on. 
Yeah, you can turn it off, but many consumers don't use the feature or can't(motion sickness, weaker eyes, ect.), why should that consumer pay for 3D when they can't or don't want it?

Why would someone pay for features they don't use or want? This is an answer for those consumers.

Chris

The Gameboy Advance SP really was a masterpiece in my opinion...a design for all ages!!

This thing just looks horrid ,cheap and clunky.

No bashing.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't care, even in that aspect, what a ugly piece a shit. I can't believe this is the same company that made the GBA.
If you don't like it then don't buy it. Nintendo will not miss your sale because you are not 5 years old.

the lack of clamshell is great.
 OMG it looks awful you mean. I've never seen a Nintendo product with such a shittiest design before. Ah, maybe the Virtual Boy is on the same level. That says a lot. If you want a sign that Nintendo is "losing it", look no further.
Well, this was my personal Nintendo Design flaw:
nds_classic_display.jpg

However, I'm sure the new 2DS will sell good, no matter how it looks. You can always count onto the Nintendo Fanboys. ;)

They all become Nvidia Fanboys?

I wonder if there is a console to come.

NES, SNES and NDS including/especcially the game librarys were the real achievements of Nintendo,

they would never have gotten their fanbase without these.

Back