News From Capricegp2x

KaosOverride

Still Fresh
Hi! I' proud to announce news from the CapriceGP2x. Version V0.6 final is near with this new features! :)

-Virtual Keyboard - Fully working!!!
-New options: Color/monocrome monitor and adjustable RAM
-New skin from ANTIRIAD! ;)

Now you can run SymbOS with 576K RAM!! Get multitasking under CPC!! Get it from http://www.symbos.de :D

There is much work for future improvements. Also there are some nasty bugs, like the emulator hanging when exiting. It happens very often when disks have been loaded :(

http://www.axis.org/usuarios/djkaos/files/...with_source.zip
http://www.axis.org/usuarios/djkaos/files/...ceGP2x-WIP6.zip

I hope that GP32Spain will be fixed as fast as possible, but for now I post the news here for all you.

Enjoy!!!

Thank you very much! :)
The CPC was my very first computer... I... it was so great... *sobb*
*harrumph* ;)
By the way, SymbOS is unbelievable. I didn't know that you can do something like that on a CPC. Impressive.

Virtual Keyboard. Yes! I've tried it and it's working very well.
Still having sound problems with a game (Nakamoto) that isn't solveable with overclocking (I can overclock 245). If it helps to send you the rom, please let me know.

Anyway this really is becoming a great emulator :)
And the new skin is very nice.

Thanks!

Strange thing, because at the PC "same source" compilation, CapriceGP2x sounds really nice. At the GP2x it gives an 84-86% hits in speed with sound on at 200Mhz, and reaches 100% with no sound, so it runs in the normal and espected average speed...

Maybe is some kind of miscalculation in the sound functions... don't know if has something to do with no having floating point unit... It's the same code both in PC and GP2x, and also I have problems with TAPE files...

Most games look to sound nice... there are some ones that sound doesnt mute when has to (it makes each note to sound a bit larger in time) or to short, but they are few games...

I suspect of having no FPU... I don't know by if it's because of other reason... :huh:

About the skin, please thank it to ANTIRIAD, he has done a great job B)

If the game runs at 100% it sounds perfect, the problem is when you cannot reach perfect performance.
Anyway i can reach with every game i launch to that perfect 100€ performance, althought i am overclocking to 270 :D
But in many games with a 240 OC you reach 100 %
I think that Nakamoto is a difficult game , maybe it needs a lot of OC.
I am gonna try it now.

KaosOverride said:
Most games look to sound nice... there are some ones that sound doesnt mute when has to (it makes each note to sound a bit larger in time) or to short, but they are few games...
That's probably the problem with Nakamoto as well. Notes are long and the sound becomes very out of sync.
It's the game I try every time you release a new version, maybe it's time to try another game ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
May demos are very strict with timings, some need one exact kind of CRTC chip, also there are some that just work with CPC plus (Or look uglyer with CPC classic). Demos are a great way of knowing if emulation is VERY exact. Because many times demos do things that normal software should not, colud be a nice test to compare both PC and GP2x versions of CapriceGP2x (Yes, there is a poject in the source for compiling it under DevCPP). I will keep in mind your advice of using more demos in testing rather than just games, because I should encounter more differences in compatibility if my suspects of the floating point emulation is the one giving the problem with tape and audio...

rygar73 said:
I think one of best amstrad demo that push the cpc limit was "The Demo" by Logon System at http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=1185 . Work very nice with pc official caprice release. Fails on CapriceGP2x :°

Exactly vere does it fail? I', running it under the same CapriceGP2x you have for download, but compiled for Windows. It shows nice, and sounds great. It looks like a nice candidate for comparing PC<>GP2x ports from same source and determine if it's a fail of FPU emulation or the compiler I'm using :D

EDIT: It looks like working nice under GP2x. Please tell me where does it fail ;)

thedemofw6.jpg

there is a little issue with the first loading... The image is totally cleared, and it's just black, but..

The CRTC looks like reprogramed to minimice it's geometry, thats why looks weird while loading the first part, when the screen is black... The FPS counter "collides" with the "not drawed" screen and appears overlaped :) But after that, all looks to run nice...

The demo need some overclock to play at good speed but now it is working :°°°°D
Maybe there are problems with colors cycling in some part of it. I will check with pc version :)
I tried the demo some times ago... with old capricegp2x version... I think :D
Cool release and the virtual keybord works very well (... how can I press the - key?)

rygar73 said:
Cool release and the virtual keybord works very well (... how can I press the - key?)
the "-" (minus) key should work, it's between "0" and "₤" (Yes, abobe the "P"... doesn't work??)

KaosOverride said:
rygar73 said:
the "-" (minus) key should work, it's between "0" and "₤" (Yes, abobe the "P"... doesn't work??)

Works perfect. Stand on the =/- key and push the "A" button on the GP2X

Very good idea to make the position of the keyboard selectable with L + R button KaosOverride. Nice job :)

I completely missed this topic, posted in another. Cant wait to try this out later. Some great releases for gp2x so far this year.

Thanks for continuing cpc emulation. 464 was also my first computer, 6128 was my second :) . Still got boxes of games and books at home. I remember saving my pocket money for ages to get Maxam Assembler.

Well I had a play around last night. I see another cpc emulator has just been released as well. Great start to 2007 on gp2x for me.

Only managed to test 3 games; sentinel, herberts dummy run and gauntlet with no problems. Sentinel was a bit awkward due to use of keyboard commands but it played fine. Didn't notice any speed issues and no sound lagging.

Only other problem I found was I typed `mode 2` and the screen corrupted. It didn't crash as I could still get to the caprice menu.

But otherwise excellent and thanks for your hard work.

I love this emu, the only (and very important) problem is that the emulator locks up ramdomsly in the interface.Qhen you try to go out the emulator it hangs as well :(

When that 2 important problems were solved i will enjoy to the maximun this incredible release :)

If i OC to 250 or more i get fullspeed in every game i throw, except some special cases.

Thank you Kaos :)

Oh mi God!! I didn't test mode 2 when I was playing with the 16 bit pixel renderer of the CRTC :( I'm very sorry!!

I think I will fix this in the weekend, because I'm in a LAN party (lol 30 Km. from home!!) so I will have many time for a little coding instead of the home moving (Yes, I'm a little slow moving from one house to another, but eh, I haven't quit any day of work!!)

And tomorrow I have to close a magazine's issue at work so I will finish late at night!!! ¬¬

I hope I could try (again) to make work the 8 bit renderer on the back surface, and blit to 16 bit faster. This could improve the speed by reducing the raw graphics surface.

But yes, those nasty hangs have also their priority ¬¬

Have a nice weekend!! For me until Saturday , it will be Hell because of work!!! :D

Back