New Video : Pandora: Things To To When You're Not Playing

EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:
"Barbie Seahorse Adventure"?
ED, is there anything you might want to share with the rest of us? :p
"They're not dolls! They're action figures!"

Why is everybody making fun of me because of that game? :D
It's actually a game similar to classic Super Mario on GameBoy :)

http://www.imitationpickles.org/barbie/
I felt compelled to change my title :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Vlynndar said:
EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:

http://www.imitation...les.org/barbie/
I felt compelled to change my title :lol:
2qbvdbb.jpg

I'm sure the videos are good too, but I don't have the bandwidth to watch them.

Attachments

• 2qbvdbb.jpg
    2qbvdbb.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 78
EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:

http://www.imitationpickles.org/barbie/
I believe this should help clear up that mystery ;)

Thanks for the videos, ED! In your next video, could you possibly show one of the nubs being used to control the mouse? If it's not too much trouble, that is. :)

A great set of videos, looking forward to the web one. I've never used Midori, although Mozilla Weave will probably push me towards running Fennec or Firefox.

the only connection with "Barbie" appears that it's the seahorse's name. it's also harder than it looks (if you ride the enemy bubbles to try and get all the out-of-the-way bonus items).

hitbyambulance said:
the only connection with "Barbie" appears that it's the seahorse's name.
I'm pretty sure that the game is based on the "Barbie Horse Adventures" joke, since it was still doing the rounds at the time. :lol: Either way, I've had it on my must-play-on-Pandora list for a little while. ... Erm, the seahorse game, that is - I've never been a fan of Barbie!

Anyhow, as Chef Excellence would say: An Excellent Set of Videos.

I've not used AbiWord before, so it was interesting (to me, at least) to see that running nicely - I plan to be doing some writing on my Pandora, and that's going to be incredibly useful for letting me do just that (I love the full-screen mode, too).

Also, was I the only one who thought that the Pandora displaying the C64 BASIC screen kicked ass? :D That's the sort of thing that was science-fiction when I got my C64.

Prometheus said:
Also, was I the only one who thought that the Pandora displaying the C64 BASIC screen kicked ass?

Nope, that's probably the #1 reason I'm getting a Pandora.

ED, just wondering how many lines of code were actually needed to get the game running? Will all Pygame projects really be so easy to port?

Also, The provided themes a re awesome, whie you were switching between Windows look alikes I was thinking "If there's a Mac look alike I'm going to laugh my ass off" 10 seconds later I needed some glue. I wonder though what's the process for changing desk top images? I would imagine there are dozens of pictures in already the OS, but if the Nand isn't something you want "Joe Average" to mess around with will it still be possible to place your own personal images as the desktop background?

I like the look of everything that libPND can do, from the videos/descriptions I've seen, but I have a question that keeps bugging me.

Is there any way to get it to put a program on the desktop *and* in the menu? Clearly you don't want to have a copy in both locations (configuration, settings, etc), but maybe you want to be able to access it from several. Can we do this? I guess it might be possible to format the SD with ext3 and use symlinks (does libPND support this?) but that seems like a lot of annoyance, and then a number of other systems wouldn't be able to read the SD card.

Any thoughts?

benji_stein said:
Is there any way to get it to put a program on the desktop *and* in the menu? Clearly you don't want to have a copy in both locations (configuration, settings, etc), but maybe you want to be able to access it from several. Can we do this? I guess it might be possible to format the SD with ext3 and use symlinks (does libPND support this?) but that seems like a lot of annoyance, and then a number of other systems wouldn't be able to read the SD card.
I asked about this last month, and ED said "sure, you can make a symlink, but it's easier to copy it into this directory that does both :D" (paraphrased as I'm too lazy to look for the quote)
Apparently there's three directories: one makes them appear on the desktop; another in the menu; and the third on both. Can't remember what the exact directory names are. Desktop, menu, and apps perhaps?

EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:
Hey EvilDragon, what happens if, instead of putting the actual PND file into the directory, you create a symlink? Could you put the PND into the menu folder, and then symlink it to the desktop folder so it appears in both? (assuming the card is formatted to something that supports links or junctions)

Just put it into a third magic folder called apps. Than it'll appear in both :)

;)

I don't think so - I'm pretty sure DaveC was referring to the place where user settings go, as opposed to any of the places to put applications. I could well be wrong, though. :p

@WizardStan - Hehe. :lol:

Very informative vids ED. Good job!

I like the python dev. one, most interesting so far.

Back