Omap Dev Kit Playing A Video

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Just a very short video showing a video playing - My camera batteries died, otherwise it would have been longer and more involved.

No audio, as the output is via headphones, and I don't have any speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9RAPNa-55k

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Just a very short video showing a video playing - My camera batteries died, otherwise it would have been longer and more involved.

No audio, as the output is via headphones, and I don't have any speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9RAPNa-55k

Weird. I thought Pandora would have a 800x480 screen, but your video seems to play letterboxed in a 800x600.

BTW, what resolution was that clip?

Wow, the Pandora will play Videos! Incredible, I haven't expected this. ;)

Uh, for a better Marketing, where is the Video: "Omap Dev Kit runs Quake 3" ? ^_^

fusion_power said:
Uh, for a better Marketing, where is the Video: "Omap Dev Kit runs Quake 3" ? ^_^
I should get a camera at some point and show "OMAP dev kit runs ScummVM", "OMAP dev kit runs Angstrom" and maybe "OMAP dev kit runs most Linux apps that can run on other ARMEL boards" ;). I have yet to hit any real issues porting stuff over.

Karel Jansens,

The board in that clip has a 640*480 screen attached not the widescreen that the later Pandora boards will have. That explains the ratio shown in the video.

Yeah, the screen is 640x480 (or, more accurately, an annoying 480x640), and the video was 640x352.

Took about 30 minutes to port mplayer to it due to the strange gp32-like display, and the fact that mplayer likes to use fbioput_vscreeninfo, which isn't supported in the kernel.

It's pure arm code, no hardware acceleration whatsoever. Requires only 500Mhz (of which about 250Mhz is probably used up by my lame rotation and framebuffer blitting code) for fluid playback ;)

I should get a camera at some point and show "OMAP dev kit runs ScummVM", "OMAP dev kit runs Angstrom" and maybe "OMAP dev kit runs most Linux apps that can run on other ARMEL boards" wink.gif. I have yet to hit any real issues porting stuff over.

Please do, the more info thats thrown onto these forums about the omap and the Pandora, the less rabbit pictures will be posted by atomicthumbs ;)

Bonus points for getting what the video was a clip from (must include web reference).

Thanks.

Maybe it would be a good idea to get in contact with the genius (that's not sarcasm!) who ported mplayer to the Nokia Itablets. I'm sure he can give you guys lots of pointers on video acceleration on the OMAPs.

I'll try to find contact info...

Karel Jansens said:
Thanks.

Maybe it would be a good idea to get in contact with the genius (that's not sarcasm!) who ported mplayer to the Nokia Itablets. I'm sure he can give you guys lots of pointers on video acceleration on the OMAPs.

I'll try to find contact info...
That's already in hand :D.

For reference all the source for the main Nokia tablet mplayer port is in one of the SVN's on the Maemo repositories. There is some very nice ARM code in there. Siarhei Siamashka springs to mind as one of the key contributors to the mplayer/video code on the Nokia.

DJWillis said:
For reference all the source for the main Nokia tablet mplayer port is in one of the SVN's on the Maemo repositories. There is some very nice ARM code in there. Siarhei Siamashka springs to mind as one of the key contributors to the mplayer/video code on the Nokia.
Does it make use of NEON?

Laurent said:
DJWillis said:
Does it make use of NEON?

No, just raw bashing of the ARM (for now), no use of the NEON extensions at the moment.

DJWillis said:
That's already in hand :D.

Dang! I knew there was a reason everyone keeps calling me "Mr State-the-Obvious".

:) o ya... now i just await the first port of something that the pandora cant handle (showing the limits of what it can run unoptimized)

Squidge said:
Yeah, the screen is 640x480 (or, more accurately, an annoying 480x640), and the video was 640x352.

Took about 30 minutes to port mplayer to it due to the strange gp32-like display, and the fact that mplayer likes to use fbioput_vscreeninfo, which isn't supported in the kernel.

It's pure arm code, no hardware acceleration whatsoever. Requires only 500Mhz (of which about 250Mhz is probably used up by my lame rotation and framebuffer blitting code) for fluid playback ;)

Bonus points for getting what the video was a clip from (must include web reference).
What was the bit rate of the video?
If you started porting things like mplayer does that mean the Pandora OS is ready (with the exception of GUI, which is still under development if I remember right)?
Any way, those two youtube videos were impressing thanX!

Squidge said:
Sure, how about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06hjDLMBaf8 ?

Is that SDLMAME? If it's xmame, I think I will have to tell you a thing or two :p

Laurent said:
Squidge said:
Sure, how about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06hjDLMBaf8 ?

Is that SDLMAME? If it's xmame, I think I will have to tell you a thing or two :p

I doubt it is either of them. I am guessing Final Burn (Alpha?) but Squidge could confirm.

Back