New Video: fNES Beta!

Flack

It gives me great pleasure to present my latest video: fNESbeta.

Website Link: http://gp32.gamespage.com
Direct Link: http://members.cox.net/flack/gp32/videos/gp32-fnes.avi

Remember the movie is in DiVX format.

For those of you (I'd assume almost everyone) wanting to get a taste of how Rlyeh's fNES is coming along, here's your chance. Although this movie is a bit longer than my others (3 minutes), I managed to cram in clips from 25 different games into it. Here's a list of what games appear in the video:

10 Yard Fight
After Burner
Bionic Commando
Bubble Bobble
Bump 'N Jump
California Games
Commando
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Dragon's Lair
Dr. Mario
Elevator Action
Galaga
Joust
Karateka
Kung-Fu Master
Legendary Wings
Marble Madness
Pac-Man
Prince of Persia
Punch Out!
Skate or Die!
Super Mario Brothers
Tetris

And now, time for 20 questions (okay, six really) ...

Q: Does Rlyeh know you have a beta of his emulator and did he condone this?
A: Yes and yes.

Q: Does fNES run every game at full speed?
A: Not hardly. Obviously the intent of my movie is to show off the good side of the emulator. The version I tested had problems with several games, including Excitebike, Gauntlet, and Paperboy. Super Mario Brothers 3 ran at approximately 75%. Some of the older betas ran a bit faster. This latest one runs a bit slower, but with better sound compatibility. I would imagine that Rlyeh is working on balancing the two before he publicly releases his emulator.

Q: Will you send me the emulator?
A: No.

Q: Will you send me NES roms?

Q: But ...

Q: What is your relationship with Rlyeh?
A: None. He makes emulators (awesome ones at that), I make movies.

I'd be glad to answer any other questions about it if I can ... If people want to know, "hey how does game x run," I could probably do a couple of checks, but I have a feeling this thing is coming very soon.

Great - looking forward to this emu in muchness. Vaguely interested in knowing how the RPGs fare in it, but for now I'm busy wossnaming about with Castaway (and Venus the Flytrap - such a cool game :) )

He wrote "Super Mario Brothers 3 ran at approximately 75%."

I watched the video, and it looks good. I'm hoping for better speed and compatability someday, but for a first beta release this will be wonderful. I know I sound ungrateful, but I'm not really. It's just that I'm kinda spoiled by PocketNES on my GBA SP, which runs every game at 100% speed AFAIK including SMB3.

Rlyeh is very talented tho, and I thank him in advance for fNES. :)

Nutzo posted on May 14 2003 said:
He wrote "Super Mario Brothers 3 ran at approximately 75%."
Yeah.. I was just hoping to see it on the video. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The older beta I saw played SMB3 at approximately 90% speed with frameskip 1 and the old sound code. In the readme for this one, it says that he is using new sound code which is more accurate but slows the entire emulator down approx. 10%, which he says will be fixed soon. Don't give up hope on SMB3 yet!

I would be curious as to how well Dusty Diamond All*Star Softball runs on there.

Back