New Unofficial Blog Feature: Live Chat

You might check this:
http://orbited.org

mibbit.com is a good one too, but a closed solution.

http://ajaxian.com/archives/mibbit-ajax-based-irc-client

You(gruso) should put an adsense below the menus on your site. I don't think people would mind, and its nice not having to trawl gp32x for info, so you are doing us a service.

El Jefe said:
You(gruso) should put an adsense below the menus on your site. I don't think people would mind, and its nice not having to trawl gp32x for info, so you are doing us a service.

Their current provider does not support ads.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is used by freenode and quakenet, you might prefer it...

http://www.qwebirc.org

I like the idea of integrated IRC. Even amongst us Pandorians I imagine there will be those who either haven't installed an IRC client, or are viewing from a device that can't really do IRC well. That, and if it's IRC you don't have multiple chat rooms to try to talk to somebody in the community.

So I've stewed on this for a few days, and I think we should take atomicthumbs up on his awesome offer. Getting more people into the #pandora IRC channel will be good for the community, and we can't do that from wordpress.com. We'll also have the freedom to integrate more things down the track, like Digg. And we'll no longer have to pay to edit our own damned CSS!

There's a bit of work involved, so it won't happen overnight. We'll move all the archives over. Once we're up and running, the old blog will be left in place for posterity.

Atomicthumbs: PM incoming.

Other blog team dudes: No need to do anything. When the new one is set up, we'll sign you up as contributors there too.

Everyone else: We're gonna need a URL, so let's paint the bike shed! The default address will be (I think) www.pandora.bunnitude.com. But we'll be using domain mapping for a custom address. What should it be? Obviously we're working with a name (Pandora) that is heavily used across the internets. Things like pandora.com are long gone. I came up with pandorapress.com, which is a nice nod to the old address. The .com is taken, but .net and .org are available.

Here's a list of URLs I have tried (strikethrough = not available):

pandorapress.com
pandorapress.net
pandorapress.org
pandorablog.com
pandorablog.net

pandorablog.org
pandoranews.com
pandoranews.net
pandoranews.org
unofficialpandora.com
unofficialpandora.net
unofficialpandora.org

I'm not overly keen on having "unofficial" or "news" in the address, but maybe that's just me being weird. Speaking of caring about weird things, what are your thoughts on .com/.net/.org? And what's the general feeling on .info?

Just use pandora.bunnitude.com, you don't need the www. alias on a sub domain (you don't even need it on the top level but most people wont leave it out).

Try something like pandoralive.net which sounds quite good (I've not checked availability though).

You're doing all this just so you can have a chat client that most people won't use?

Edit:
BackAssward: "that most people won't use"
gruso: "the chat feature is being used"

I don't see how you contradicted me there. Even when published, 'most' people still won't use it.

The chat thing is just the catalyst. The limitations of the free hosting at wp.com have been bugging me for a while.

Having said that, the chat feature is being used (which is nice to see). And it hasn't been announced outside the forums yet. Once it's announced on the blog, it will get used plenty methinks.

Also:
We'll also have the freedom to integrate more things down the track, like Digg. And we'll no longer have to pay to edit our own damned CSS!

Gruso said:
Everyone else: We're gonna need a URL, so let's paint the bike shed!...
My vote for this in order: pandoranews.net, pandorablog.org, pandorapress.org.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like pandorapress too - there's no need for 'unofficial' in the name. That was just there to distinguish it from the offical blog - but the idea of a free press is news that is independent of official channels.

I really, really like pandoranews.net, for some reason (I guess it just sounds "right" to me, somehow :p). So that's my vote, if you're going for an address. :)

Why do we need chat again? Don't we get hyperexcited and dive off the deep end with inaccurate assumptions fast enough already? ;)

IRC is definately the way to go I'd have thought - fuse rather than fracture the, uh, community.

Back