Pandroid?

yumcax

Still Fresh
Has any work been done for getting Android ported to the Pandora?
I for one would absolutely LOVE to see Android on the platform...
What do you guys think?
pAndroid FTW!

EDIT: okay, I took it upon myself to try it out... this was with the Android 2.0 SDK. It is compared to a Matchbox screenshot from the unofficial blog. Tell me what you think.
pandroid1.jpg

pandroid2.jpg

pandroid3.jpg

In my opinion, Android looks much more polished and touch-accesable that Matchbox.
Cheers!

seriously I googled it like three times this week and read up about it but I still don't get why this "Android" crap is so good and why we need it

@yumcax - You may find this thread from the Developers' Corner section to be of interest. It was just updated with an answer to your question within the last several minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
fiori_musicali said:
Thanks for searching.
Hmm, I _did_ search and didnt find anything relevant, only some threads discussing dualbooting.

Paradox said:
I still don't get why this "Android" crap is so good and why we need it

Me neither. Last I heard, there was some kind of killer Start Menu that we FUCKING HAD TO HAVE because it was so cool-looking.
Nevermind the issue of running applications, we'll have a cool Android launcher for our Angstrom applications that don't run because it's a distinct OS. :/

yumcax said:
fiori_musicali said:
Thanks for searching.
Hmm, I _did_ search and didnt find anything relevant, only some threads discussing dualbooting.
Search with Google if you don't find it w/ the built-in search.
google query: site:www.gp32x.de pandroid

also make sure you're searching the whole forum and not just General Discussion when you use the gp32x search.

Paradox said:
seriously I googled it like three times this week and read up about it but I still don't get why this "Android" crap is so good and why we need it
Short answer is all it takes really.
The massive amount of users that will have a Android equipped piece of hardware makes it a much more likely contender for some commercial softwares, and a much wider array of home devs will be developing for it.
So, what it boils down to is getting a wider array of software, really.
I fail to see how that is a bad thing, even when i'm not getting a Panda my self.
B!

Protip: Click advanced search, and search topic titles in the Pandora section. It's a few extra clicks but it brings the results. Here's what you'll see when you do that:

screen.jpg

Mr B said:
I fail to see how that is a bad thing, even when i'm not getting a Panda my self.
It's a bad thing when someone says "I want this. Someone (who is not me) should do this." It's a distraction, and annoying. There's already so much software going into it, the requester had better have a solid reason for actually wanting one thing over something that already exists.
If someone said "I am doing this" then great! That person is investing their own time into something they want. Hopefully everyone benefits from that.
So to reiterate: someone making more software = good. Someone asking for more software (especially when it's a generic "need more" without specifying what "more" will actually do) = bad.

Paradox said:

It's very simple, actually...

Mr B said:
The massive amount of users that will have a Android equipped piece of hardware makes it a much more likely contender for some commercial softwares, and a much wider array of home devs will be developing for it.
So, what it boils down to is getting a wider array of software, really.

^ That.

You see, enabling the Android APPs is what matters. We have a lot of OS options for Pandora, already.
But, by enabling Android Applications to run on our Pandoras, we will have a massive software library from Day 1
We will have both free softwares and commercial ones (obtainable online via Android Market), and surely there is a lot of quality stuff available just waiting for us to get our hands on them.

I don't get what the difference is, if they are on the same chipset, ARM, and they have the operating systems are both variations on linux, all that would be required is recompilation right?
but I guess most android apps arent open source... < is that right?

There are plenty of both commercial and free software available at the same place: the Android Market...

Oh, and about recompilation... Java is not exactly compiled... Android just requires a few special standards... Apart from that, it really is just java.

El Jefe said:
I don't get what the difference is, if they are on the same chipset, ARM, and they have the operating systems are both variations on linux, all that would be required is recompilation right?
but I guess most android apps arent open source... < is that right?
None of that should matter once there is a dalvik virtual machine for Linux. Then most apps should run, other than ones that require accelerometers or gps, etc.
Near-kun said:
There are plenty of both commercial and free software available at the same place: the Android Market...

Oh, and about recompilation... Java is not exactly compiled... Android just requires a few special standards... Apart from that, it really is just java.

Maybe for syntax, yes. But the virtual machines themselves are totally different animals.

I took some screenshots of what pAndroid could look like, they are in my OP.

Back