New To Gp2x

LordFu posted on Jul 23 2006 at 09:59 AM said:
It should be pretty obvious, but he seems like a genuine newb. A troll would have got it done in a single post. :p

Sorry, I didn't know that asking for roms was against forum rules. :unsure: But the last question I have about the GPX2 is this. So I have downloaded an emulator for say, the SNES. Will the read-me that comes with the emulator tell me where to put it on my sd-card? And If I then obtain a game, how will I know where to put that?

Last edited by a moderator:
The readme should tell you where to put the emulator (if it matters atall), I know for SquidgeSnes I was able to tell it to "not care where it was" if that makes sense. The emulator usually has a folder for roms say you stuck the folder with squidgesnes on your sd, you'd stick your roms in <That Folder>/roms, although I think by default SquidgeSnes looks for a folder called "roms" on your sd card, but thats what the option I mentioned earlier changes...

So yeah, the readme usually tells you everything you need to know :)

Sorry to be a pain :( , but let me get this straight. Before loading a ROM file onto the system, you must first download an emulator. You can fine emulators from this website. After putting the emulator onto your SD card, you go into system utilities on your console, and do something there (not completely sure here). After that you load the rom into the emulators folder, and then play it on the gp2x? correct?

Yeah, it's really not very complicated. you download your emulator and put it onto the SD card. You download your roms and put them onto the SD card. You load up the emulator and tell it in the options where the roms are, and it will create a list for you. you select the game from the list and play. It's no more complicated than opening MSpaint and telling it to load a picture from a folder on your computer.

You dont need (99% of the time) to 'install' apps in any way. You put the emulator on the SD card and put the ROM files in a directory (usually specified in the readme) then it should be ready to play on the GP2X.

You first download a GP2X specific emulator you can find on this website.
You extract it to the SD card.
It should say where to put the roms in the readme. Such as sd/roms/megagear. Put the roms there now.
You then turn on the GP2X and load the emulator. From the emulator you should be able to select the rom and begin playing your game.

Most emulators work out of the box and you wont need to mess with any system settings or the like.

Best of luck.

DDK, I would avoid buying a gp2x, until you figure out how to play snes or genesis on your pc!!!

Then you might understand, it isn't hard to setup a gamepark, it just takes a little PC knowledge.

Also, go to pdroms.de and download their Public Domain (Completely legal) genesis games or whatever system you are interested (not psx) and try those out first.

Also, gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk has a very well laid out site for quick system browsing, and the archive.gp2x.de is the definative source for things, but is a little more work to search.

Azure said:
DaveN posted on Jul 22 2006 at 05:22 PM said:
A quote of Nintendo.com:

Yup, a lot of people don't seem to be aware of this, but roms are illegal regardless of whether you own the original or not. It's a risk you have to take, but it's wise to consider the actual odds of getting busted when taking this "risk..."

From what little I know, PSX emulation on the GP2X is still pretty darn far away (At least from being seriously playable with more than a couple games) and shouldn't be a big reason to get a GP2X (Otherwise you'd be greatly disappointed). Buy one for all the other great apps available :)

I just need to comment:

Azure, my dear friend, is totally wrong :)

Laws vary by jurisdiction, but I doubt there is any one which would say a 'rom' is illegal. A rom is just a bit of data. It is the license a user has for it and the method by which it is obtained which is the hot water area.

It is often but not always illegal to download a rom file from somewhere; there are many exceptions (depending on jurisdiction).. but ehre are certainly game roms that have been released to the public domain for instance, and legal entities which sell or distribute roms; you can get them from all over the place fully legally (CDs, other emus you buy, those GB cards that you can scan to get the rom from, etc etc..)

Most people just go to a rom site and nab a file.. that is generally illegal. But just saying 'roms are illegal' is far too over-reaching a statement and is fear-mongering :)

jeff

skeezix posted on Jul 23 2006 at 01:40 PM said:
It is the license a user has for it and the method by which it is obtained which is the hot water area.
Of course, I usually tie that in with the whole "rom" picture since I'm guessing it'd be generally assumed :)

Thanks for the background info though. You obviously know much more in depth about this than I do :)

HAHA! Not illegal for me! I have a snes copier that copies games to floppy disks! Now I can do my own copies without the evil internet! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you had a never ending supply of styrofoam balls and you made them at a time when stryofoam was very expensive and lets say now they are worth nothing would you let people take them? its the same thing with old ROM's nintendo, sony, whatever is not making any money off of them and they have a never ending suply of them

lol3222 posted on Jul 25 2006 at 12:57 AM said:
If you had a never ending supply of styrofoam balls and you made them at a time when stryofoam was very expensive and lets say now they are worth nothing would you let people take them? its the same thing with old ROM's nintendo, sony, whatever is not making any money off of them and they have a never ending suply of them

My dad friend's father used to help design new varieties of styrofoam. One day they got a GIGANTIC piece of foam about the size of 4-5 refridgerators combined. After a litted carving it became a boat, they hid it away till the water could support a craft this size, which happened to be after a storm. They snuck it down the the ohio river, to cut a story short...300 miles later they were able to get back to shore. It was one of the worst storms ever seen all over the area. At the time..that was some expensive syrofoam

Back