New To Gp2x

ddk121

Still Fresh
Hey!
I have not purchased a console yet, but am considering buying one soon. One thing that I am concerned about is though that I do not have a clue about making homebrew games. I would mainly use the console to play old psx games on the go. How on earth do you get these psx games to run on the gpx2 console?
Also, is the GPX2 worth it?

The gp2x is a great piece of kit
PSX emualtion is comming along nicely, but i wouldnt buy one just for that. could take a while before it works any good i think.
if movies, music or homebreew games or snes and megadrives emus dont turn you on. dont get one, haha.
but movie player is great, and music is good enough for rocking out the place around you. and the classic games will keep you occupied on journeys.

pantera6 posted on Jul 22 2006 at 11:51 PM said:
PSX emualtion is comming along nicely, but i wouldnt buy one just for that. could take a while before it works any good i think.
if movies, music or homebreew games or snes and megadrives emus dont turn you on. dont get one, haha.
but movie player is great, and music is good enough for rocking out the place around you. and the classic games will keep you occupied on journeys.

I have seen various emulators for the playstation and others like the SNES. How do I use these emulators to transfer games to the system?

Last edited by a moderator:
DDK121 posted on Jul 22 2006 at 03:56 PM said:

I have seen various emulators for the playstation and others like the SNES. How do I use these emulators to transfer games to the system?

They're like any other emulators. You put the program and put the ROM files, onto your SD card. Start the program, make your settings, and load the rom with the explorer-like browser.

It is quite simple.

Crazy Goat posted on Jul 23 2006 at 12:00 AM said:
DDK121 posted on Jul 22 2006 at 03:56 PM said:

They're like any other emulators. You put the program and put the ROM files, onto your SD card. Start the program, make your settings, and load the rom with the explorer-like browser.

It is quite simple.

But where do u find the rom files? :(

google 'snes' roms, etc and find them that way. it's quite simple, really.

there's also a nice button at the top called 'search'. please use that before asking any questions as all of yours so far have been answered.

You could also make them by yourself using multiple ripping programs and special hardware. The reason we can't tell it to you is because the whole rom and emulator thing is in a legality gray zone. If you don't onw the copies of the roms, they're illegal.

You could compare it with music. Downloading it if you don't own it is illegal, but you can rip it onto your computer. ( I think ).

DaveN posted on Jul 22 2006 at 06:46 PM said:
You could also make them by yourself using multiple ripping programs and special hardware. The reason we can't tell it to you is because the whole rom and emulator thing is in a legality gray zone. If you don't onw the copies of the roms, they're illegal.

You could compare it with music. Downloading it if you don't own it is illegal, but you can rip it onto your computer. ( I think ).
Actually it's legal to own them for 24 hours before deleting them. But cops are trained for serious crimes, not checking out your pc. :p

OMars posted on Jul 23 2006 at 02:10 AM said:
Actually it's legal to own them for 24 hours before deleting them. But cops are trained for serious crimes, not checking out your pc. :p

That's just a 'law' created by some rom pages. As far as I know it is illegal to own a rom file that you don't own in _every_ case.

A quote of Nintendo.com:
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

But anyway, everyone here does that. Even me. And you. And that guy over there.

DaveN posted on Jul 22 2006 at 05:22 PM said:
Yes I do,

But Seriously is this guy a troll?

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 22 2006 at 06:44 PM said:
nubie posted on Jul 22 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
Yes I do,

But Seriously is this guy a troll?
who, the topic creator?
Yes, laptop crashing, couldn't type a lot.

A quote of Nintendo.com:
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
Yup, a lot of people don't seem to be aware of this, but roms are illegal regardless of whether you own the original or not. It's a risk you have to take, but it's wise to consider the actual odds of getting busted when taking this "risk..."

From what little I know, PSX emulation on the GP2X is still pretty darn far away (At least from being seriously playable with more than a couple games) and shouldn't be a big reason to get a GP2X (Otherwise you'd be greatly disappointed). Buy one for all the other great apps available :)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 22 2006 at 07:01 PM said:
How come you believe he could be a troll? I mean, sure, he neglected to use the search function, but so do 95% of new members....
I don't know, my brain tells me that asking straight up for roms when that is prohibited is making him seem "troll-like" to me.

nubie posted on Jul 22 2006 at 07:19 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 22 2006 at 07:01 PM said:
How come you believe he could be a troll? I mean, sure, he neglected to use the search function, but so do 95% of new members....
I don't know, my brain tells me that asking straight up for roms when that is prohibited is making him seem "troll-like" to me.
He probably didn't know that was against this forum's rules...

Back