New Pmp With 20gb Running Linux For 200$

k0in

Still Fresh
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8590392344.html

This is what I would expect from GP2X. (+second processor +video coprocessor etc, what it already has). I could not find hardware specs, so I don't know, probably they (Pontis, I mean) already have everything on the board.

CF = CFIO USB adpater
20GB - no need for any additional storage
TouchScreen - you may use it as PDA

Wonderful.

EDIT: Sorry for my English.

I like this quote from the link
"Loli-Queru notes that at $200, the Pontis MX2020 costs less than other hard-drive-equipped PMPs, including the $300 Gamepark Holdings GP2X-F100,"

so.. they got the cost wrong, and the specs of the gp2x.. makes me confident the rest of the article is accurate. :)

Its very nice, and cheap, for a Hard drive PMP, battery life is clearly a bit of a problem. I like it very much.

Its just a PMP though

Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with the price.

From bad experience with my *shudder* iPod harddrive dying, I won't be buying a portable device with a hard drive for quite some time.

Besides, I bet it won't play many/any games, and it won't have anywhere near the homebrew community the GP2X will.

PS: This is the "General GP2X / XGP talk" forum.

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8590392344.html

This is what I would expect from GP2X. (+second processor +video coprocessor etc, what it already has). I could not find hardware specs, so I don't know, probably they (Pontis, I mean) already have everything on the board.

CF = CFIO USB adpater
20GB - no need for any additional storage
TouchScreen - you may use it as PDA

Wonderful.

EDIT: Sorry for my English.

Looks great if you just want something for movies but there is no possibily for playing games on it due to the layout. Depends what you want a GP2X for really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its very nice, and cheap, for a Hard drive PMP, battery life is clearly a bit of a problem. I like it very much.

Its just a PMP though

What I meant was, the GP2x does not have a harddrive (As they claim), and it does not cost $300 (as they also claim).
I was not doubting the cost of the $200 system, i was saying that they had the prices (and specs) wrong for their comparison models. (that is, unless you paid $300 for your gp2x and it does come with a hard drive)

Its just a PMP though

What I meant was, the GP2x does not have a harddrive (As they claim), and it does not cost $300 (as they also claim).
I was not doubting the cost of the $200 system, i was saying that they had the prices (and specs) wrong for their comparison models. (that is, unless you paid $300 for your gp2x and it does come with a hard drive)

Gp2x + SD card is about 300$ and has 2GB memory, so they probably calculated this way. I am sure this device does not have sufficient power to compare with gp2x, what I meant is "I would like GP2X to preserve all its features and to add features of that device to get the best handheld ever"

So, what do we have here?

- the reviewer states a battery life of 2 hours playing video if the screen is at medium brightness. The manufacturer claims 3 hours 30 minutes.
- the UI is slow and quirky.
- they're too embarrased to mention what CPU it is running on.
- a tiny four-way joystick.

How do we play games on it? I guess it will be a slow, quirky media player for all time.

Gp2x + SD card is about 300$ and has 2GB memory, so they probably calculated this way. I am sure this device does not have sufficient power to compare with gp2x, what I meant is "I would like GP2X to preserve all its features and to add features of that device to get the best handheld ever"

they made a mistake, lol you don't have to defend them, its a really good price

Yeah, this looks nice for a video player, but not a game player. Even if games were ported to it it would be awkward to use, this shouldn't even be compared to the GP2X. It looks pretty however, they just need to work on the battery life. I'll just stick to my 2GB SD card in my GP2X and put 3 episodes of whatever show and some games on it, I don't need 20GB.

Thanx,
Stan

whats a bit extra with this device is that it seems to have 512mb SDRAM wich is very very much for this little machine!!!

A good media player but comparing it to the GP2x isn't really fair.

Loli-Queru... I know it's wrong to laugh at names but that name does evoke the following image:

∩___∩
   | ノ     ヽ
  /  ●   ● |
  |    ( _●_)  ミ 
 彡、   |∪|  、`\ 
/ __  ヽノ /´>  ) 
(___)   / (_/
 |      /  
 |  /\ \
 | /    )  )
 ∪    (  \
       \_)