New Pix From Mweston!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"And CraigX said, "Let there be lighted light pipes," and there was lighted light pipes. CraigX saw that the pipes was good, and He labeled each pipe from the others. CraigX called the yellow light "power," and the red light he called "battery." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second year first day."

God Ginrai said:
. . .Not growing up with the SNES, I quite like that style and would like to see the Pandora with that layout. (However, I will have no complaints if the ABXY does turn out to be SNES-layout or otherwise)

-God Ginrai
I think it would be best just to use the SNES/DS layout if it's possible. It probably would have been better to pick symbols that have never been used on a console like α, Ω, π, and δ or something to that effect. Or pick Hebrew characters that have cool meanings or something like that. You know, instead of boring letters, numbers, or shapes pick cool symbols. I always liked π, it's a cool symbol and tastes good also.

You know, press α to start or press Ω to end. Press π to eat. Press δ if that is all you can take.

I don't know any good Hebrew characters, or, well, any at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god guys, it's not like you all just joined yesterday. We've had plenty of lengthy discussions about the button layout. It's going to be GP2X style because they can't legally do it SNES style. The fact that it's labeled in the SNES format on the screen doesn't mean that it'll ship like that.

Vorporeal said:
Oh my god guys, it's not like you all just joined yesterday. We've had plenty of lengthy discussions about the button layout. It's going to be GP2X style because they can't legally do it SNES style. The fact that it's labeled in the SNES format on the screen doesn't mean that it'll ship like that.

craigix said:
As far as i remember the ABXY isn't patented it's trademarked.

calc84maniac said:
Vorporeal said:

craigix said:

...and? What is that supposed to mean?

EDIT: Before you say something stupid, you might want to read this.

It appears to be the answer to what I asked. :) I don't care about the button layout myself - I just wanted to see the patents that had been mentioned. Turns out that it was a trademark issue, not a patent one.

Vorporeal said:
calc84maniac said:
Vorporeal said:

craigix said:

...and? What is that supposed to mean?

EDIT: Before you say something stupid, you might want to read this.
At this point it just means no one knows what it's going to be.

Are the button even interchangeable? When you take controllers apart the buttons aren't interchangeable, they have pegs coming out of the buttons that fit to slots in the casing that determines the configuration, so the decision might have been made and the way they are cast determines where they go. Unless they are made to be interchangeable, did anyone have enough foresight to do that? If they are and they come in the GP2X configuration I might open my Pandora and change them to SNES/DS configuration. If they come in GP2X configuration and aren't interchangeable then I'll be ok as well.

They are interchangeable, the pegs are in the same place on each button. There has to be some peg-type thing sticking out of the bottom so the button stays in the case. (They've said that they're interchangeable.)

Vorporeal said:

That's what I thought, but when every picture they show us has SNES-layout, it makes you wonder if somewhere along the lines things changed. I mean, it seemed to me like they were distancing themselves from the GP2X-layout almost. The trademark thing is why I said "or some other layout."

-God Ginrai

second exodous said:
Are the button even interchangeable?
yes, you can see the tabs here http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=DSC01605.jpg

God Ginrai, not every picture ;) http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=OPInknPaint.jpg

Vorporeal said:
They are interchangeable, the pegs are in the same place on each button. There has to be some peg-type thing sticking out of the bottom so the button stays in the case. (They've said that they're interchangeable.)
craigix on the button interchangeability: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50138-button-scheme/page__view__findpost__p__766430

Well, no sense fueling the button debate. It's an odd layout, but it just adds to Pandora's uniqueness.

puppydee said:
If it was a final case there would be a post saying "Look this is the final case, no more waiting for the chinese to finish the moulds"

Bob: Look at this!
Ted: What is it?
Bob: It's a car.
Ted: It's a car? I want the CEO of the company to tell me that, to believe it.

:p

If you think that we're looking at a FDM case ... well I guess there is no helping it.

WhiteBat said:
second exodous said:
Are the button even interchangeable?
yes, you can see the tabs here http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=DSC01605.jpg

God Ginrai, not every picture ;) http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=OPInknPaint.jpg

I was talking about of actual devices, not renders. But thinking back on it, I probably should have added the words "just about."

EDIT:
MDave said:
puppydee said:
If it was a final case there would be a post saying "Look this is the final case, no more waiting for the chinese to finish the moulds"

Bob: Look at this!
Ted: What is it?
Bob: It's a car.
Ted: It's a car? I want the CEO of the company to tell me that, to believe it.

:p

If you think that we're looking at a FDM case ... well I guess there is no helping it.

MDave, while I see your reasoning, EvilDragon made a post about that picture on the blog and didn't mention that it was final. Also, in the blog post just before it, he had this to say:

[quote name=Evil Dragon]
We also got some news from the moulds company. It looks they're finally nearing completion of the last mould which means we should see the final case moulds soon.
[/quote]

That sounds to me like they haven't finished that last piece, so that can't be the final case in that picture.

-God Ginrai

MDave said:
Prometheus said:
MDave said:
I guess the fact that we're looking at the final case has flown over most people's heads if the only thing they can talk about is the button arrangements ;)
Not at all - I merely wanted confirmation about the oft-claimed patents that are allegedly preventing the team from using particular button layouts. ;)

Regarding the case, I must say, I'm afraid I can't tell from the picture whether that is the final case or not - on my two machines, it appears too dark for me to tell. The slight graininess in the picture is throwing my eyes off considerably. :p I can't speak for anyone else, but that's why I didn't pass comment on that, personally.

I do like the single nub, there, though. :lol:

Hint: It's not the black FDM case because the edges of the case are far to clean cut, and the hinge looks perfectly flush too. Not to mention the light pipes are fit correctly. The only other smooth textured, clean cut Pandora's are the transparent ones we seen halfway through the year ;) The only thing missing is silk screening, and of course the missing analog :D
If you up the brightness and contrast in that image, you can make out the crack in the bottom of the hinge part of the screen that's also in the black FDM case:

VyDTc.jpg

Attachments

• VyDTc.jpg
    VyDTc.jpg
    503 bytes · Views: 70
If they are interchangeable then why is how they are placed even an issue? If you like GP2X layout change it to that, if you like SNES/DS then change it to that. If you like them in another configuration then change them to that.

Screw Nintendo and its Patents, copy rights, trademarks or whatever, the system can ship in any way and can be changed by the user.

Remapping in software shouldn't be that hard, just changing a config file, so the button layout shouldn't be an issue.

second exodous said:
If they are interchangeable then why is how they are placed even an issue?

Because simple stuff like config files can look like magic to people, sadly enough but true.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
second exodous said:
If they are interchangeable then why is how they are placed even an issue?

Because simple stuff like config files can look like magic to people, sadly enough but true.

-God Ginrai
Oh, I didn't this of that. Maybe a small program that you can download and walk you through the button setup:

"Press A"
"Press B"
"Press X"
"Press Y"

That shouldn't be that hard to code, could be an official Pandora utility.

Problem comes when people are making games, and their button layout relies on a certain layout to make the game playable.

Imagine a PS1 game where X is accept and, say, triangle is cancel instead of circle. X/O feels natural, while X/tri feels like a pain in the ass.

This is why I'm leaving the buttons in the order they come in, and hoping any game developer does the same so I don't have to fuck with software button config JUST to make that one game playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back