New Pcengine Emu Cpce!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruseman

Still Fresh
Hi anyone has any news about cpce?
It's really fast except for a little vsync problem, but it's on 60fps all the time with a really great sound, in my opinion quite perfect, far better than anything else.
Dunno what to say.. I'll try a patch cause it have even the sources!!!

Thanks a lot "Zorro" ;)

P.s.

If there are other discussions about all this, excuse me but did'nt found before.

I also didn't really care about the release. It never showed up on the news page and I didn't download it because I always use HU6280... is it any good? What the heck... I am just going to find out myself and download it.

craigix posted on Aug 20 2006 at 11:59 PM said:
I'm sure DaveC will tell us if it is better or worse to an alarming accuracy.

Dave?

haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Nickmon posted on Aug 20 2006 at 11:16 PM said:
But the question is what happened/where is the great Vobbo ?

I used to love waiting for and follwoing the daily releases....

Yeah that emu showed great promise.. I wonder what happened?

craigix posted on Aug 21 2006 at 12:28 AM said:
Dave is this emu better or worse sound wise?

Different, it is still a bit buggered. The pitch and timing is "off" It seems too high pitched and instruments seem out of sync/time in the background music. There is some terrible crackling and popping in the music in Parodius and Devil's crush (probably more but those were noticeable from the few I tested). Alot of the sound missing from Vobbo's emu is here (like the alien popping in Galaga). The white noise is correct here (Devil's crush intro) that was a buzzing noise in Vobbo's emu. The best sound wise is that first PC-engine emu but that is slow.

I was saying basically the same things as DaveC, and the sound on this is a lot better as far as quality. The accuracy may be a bit off, but it sounds like it should.

DaveC posted on Aug 20 2006 at 07:24 PM said:

.. Um. Last I saw, it was in great shape-- why do you act like it was abandoned in a useless state? "Shows promise" .. :p It ran at full speed at the default 200 MHz which is more than can be said for most emulators of such a demanding system, it had pretty accurate emulation and even supported CD-ROM titles. This is just like when Reesy stopped releasing DrMDx updates for about 2 weeks and you sent me a bunch of melodramatic PMs about how he abandoned the GP2X scene to work on the Gizmondo only; a week before he released 2 (or was it 3?) new updates. Stop going into these little miniature panic attacks if a program's not updated every week- devleopers have lives. I definitely need no reminders of the time constraints real life puts on a programming project, especially one as stressful and time consuming as an emulator.

I present for the approval of the Midnight Society .. the timeline of a GP2X Emulator Release.
- 9/1/2006 - Sega Saturn emulator that runs at 36 FPS average and has scratchy sound is released.
- 9/1/2006 - DaveC Reponse: This emulator SUCKS (extensive exposition)
- 9/4/2006 - Update released raising average framerate to 49 FPS.
- 9/4/2006 - DaveC Response: It's still not perfect. We'll never have full-speed Saturn emulation. It's almost like why bother.
- 9/8/2006 - DaveC Response: See, he's not even updating.
- 9/10/2006 - Update released that raises average framerate to 60 FPS and fixes sound glitches. Small graphical incompatibilities on some games remain.
- 9/10/2006 - DaveC Response: This emulator STILL SUCKS. We'll never have perfect emulation of the Saturn. PSP Emulation is so much better than this.
- 9/15/2006 - DaveC Response: See, no update.
- 9/16/2006 - DaveC Response: Still no update. I told you. He went to the Gizmondo. That fuck.
- 9/17/2006 - DaveC Response: It's too bad. This emulator showed lots of promise. We'll never see another update though. Time to go home, guys.
- 9/18/2006 - DaveC Response: HE FUCKING LEFT US HERE TO DIE

Hehe, that almost made me put DaveC on ignore. I will though if he complains inaccurately about anything I release.

Epicenter posted on Aug 20 2006 at 11:53 PM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 20 2006 at 07:24 PM said:

.. Um. Last I saw, it was in great shape-- why do you act like it was abandoned in a useless state? "Shows promise" .. :p It ran at full speed at the default 200 MHz which is more than can be said for most emulators of such a demanding system, it had pretty accurate emulation and even supported CD-ROM titles. This is just like when Reesy stopped releasing DrMDx updates for about 2 weeks and you sent me a bunch of melodramatic PMs about how he abandoned the GP2X scene to work on the Gizmondo only; a week before he released 2 (or was it 3?) new updates. Stop going into these little miniature panic attacks if a program's not updated every week- devleopers have lives. I definitely need no reminders of the time constraints real life puts on a programming project, especially one as stressful and time consuming as an emulator.

I present for the approval of the Midnight Society .. the timeline of a GP2X Emulator Release.
- 9/1/2006 - Sega Saturn emulator that runs at 36 FPS average and has scratchy sound is released.
- 9/1/2006 - DaveC Reponse: This emulator SUCKS (extensive exposition)
- 9/4/2006 - Update released raising average framerate to 49 FPS.
- 9/4/2006 - DaveC Response: It's still not perfect. We'll never have full-speed Saturn emulation. It's almost like why bother.
- 9/8/2006 - DaveC Response: See, he's not even updating.
- 9/10/2006 - Update released that raises average framerate to 60 FPS and fixes sound glitches. Small graphical incompatibilities on some games remain.
- 9/10/2006 - DaveC Response: This emulator STILL SUCKS. We'll never have perfect emulation of the Saturn. PSP Emulation is so much better than this.
- 9/15/2006 - DaveC Response: See, no update.
- 9/16/2006 - DaveC Response: Still no update. I told you. He went to the Gizmondo. That fuck.
- 9/17/2006 - DaveC Response: It's too bad. This emulator showed lots of promise. We'll never see another update though. Time to go home, guys.
- 9/18/2006 - DaveC Response: HE FUCKING LEFT US HERE TO DIE

hahaha, now that's funny :D

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 21 2006 at 01:18 AM said:
Should this be on the news pages?

yeah, deffinately... oh, wait, you meant the emulator :D

Hilarious script, though I must say, not entirely fair to Dave... I haven't noticed (though granted I haven't been looking for) Vobbo for about a month, give or take a week (cbf to look up last post before I've finished this one), so it's not quite as bad as that!

And again, I suspect the response would be, not that the emu sucked as such, but that it was

- Amazing work but that Dave would never use it as
- Never going to be full speed
- Therefore not much more than a techdemo
- Skills that could have been spent more wisely on getting SNES emulation to work *with* transparencies at full speed.

However, I've no wish to turn this thread about another lovely PCE emu into another "bash DaveC" thread. His opinion was asked - he gave it.

Now let's hear some accolades for the emu!

EDIT: Just had a look at Vobbo's profile - he was on here yesterday, though he hasn't posted anything since the 6th. He's still around though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back