[New Pandora Use] TwitchBox

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
Well, my game is practically stalled; but I have been working on a few other little things.

Anyway, here I present TwitchBox. It's a (very) simple Qt UI for watching Twitch.tv streams, without a browser.

It does have a requirement for either SMplayer2 PND, or the codec pack. I would 100% recommend the SMPlayer PND, as I found the mplayer in the codec pack to stutter a lot - at least in comparison to SMplayer's player.

One first run, it'll ask you to select the SMPlayer's PND location, if you don't want to use it, hit cancel. You can always change your mind by going into the Options screen.

From my tests so far, if you do use the codec pack, it will take a good 10 seconds from clicking View Stream to the stream actually appearing, there's not much I can do about this I'm afraid. This is something else where SMPlayer seems to be better than the codec pack.

Finally, In the options, you can select the quality of your stream. If your stream doesn't load, and you're returned to the UI, it might be that the stream quality you have picked isn't supported. "Best" and "Worst" should always be available though.

So I'm just in the middle of creating the PND. I'm having a few problems but will hopefully get them sorted soon.

Amazing. Now I can waste even time watching streams :D

How is performance in your tests so far? Do you think streams will be watch-able on an OC'ed Original Pandora (pre-Rebirth)?

I don't have an original Pandora any more - I upgraded the board to a Rebirth. However, my only reliable config is running in "Worst" quality using SMPlayer2.

I'm also actually having problems when running from a PND anyway, unless I can make it reliable, there doesn't seem much point releasing (well, I could release a tar.gz)

Did anybody try this? Does it work on other Pandoras?

Ugh. Why repo comments? It's not really a place for discussion. Can you check in the AppData and send me the log.txt file please?

Ugh. Why repo comments? It's not really a place for discussion. Can you check in the AppData and send me the log.txt file please?
Well it was faster for me to write on the repo than to open the boards and I was limited in time when I did so :)

About the Appdata -> sure, will do later today.

I checked the pnd_out but I could not see much indication of what was going wrong.  

Yeah, Foxblock sent me his too; tells me nothing.

Do you have the codec pack installed? I don't think you should need it if you point to SMplayer, but thought I'd ask

Do you have the codec pack installed? I don't think you should need it if you point to SMplayer, but thought I'd ask
You know who you are asking this, right ? :)

I have Courserian (my coursera courses downloading app) using SMPlayer2 just fine on the same SD Card to playback videos (not at the same time), so I'm thinking there's either a problem in your code or with the way SMPlayer gets mounted. ANyway, I'll send you the log. 

Here is the log.txt

------------------- Stream Log

URL: http://www.twitch.tv/fragnance

Quality: worst

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/smplayer2"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/smplayer2=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/smplayer2=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/smplayer2"

PND: /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/apps/smplayer2_r6.pnd

Player: /mnt/utmp/smplayer2/bin/mplayer

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

Not sure why it does not work.

Yep, same as foxblock's. I spoke to him last night and found out why it isn't working. See here

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a new version up, if anybody could test this and see if it works, that would be great. Cheers

sorry to report it still does not work.

heres the only error output from your PND.

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_games_downloaded(FileDownloader*)

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_channels_downloaded(FileDownloader*)

Those errors aren't a problem - but they are very confusing; because I get them on mine, yet it works fine.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what else to do. I've disabled it in the repo. If I can fix it before the end of the compo, then great, if not, it looks like it might be an exclusive to my Pandora ;)

Unlikely. I couldn't work out how to package livestreamer into the PND - which meant you'd have to install it on the NAND, which a lot of people seem concerned about.

Plus I could pretty much only watch streams in their worst quality without experiencing lots of buffering problems, so it was better using my phone with the Twitch android app.

I might look at this again when the Pyra is out, but from a Pandy PoV, it didn't work great

Back