Issue with Openbox menu.

Odd4Life

Still Fresh
I have a 1 GHz unit, just to get that out of the way.

I downloaded the RetroRadio PND and found that I got no sound, so I tried installing the community codec pack.  Unfortunately, when I placed it in any of the folders in my SD card's pandora directory (besides appdata), it either didn't show up or it failed to boot, giving me an error about something to do with a "child" and some sort of program "Community," entirely skipping the "codec pack" part of the name.  I know enough to know what "child" means in computer terms, and I'm guessing maybe this issue has something to do with spaces and quotes, or however it that works in Linux (Not a Linux person - I want to try a few distros, but I'd need another harddrive or SSD).  Downloaded the file multiple times, always the same result.

Anyway, Openbox came into this when I found that trying to open the system menu in the applications section of the context menu resulted in an error and nothing showing up.  I navigated to the file that it said caused the error, and lo and behold, it was the file that defined how the system menu was ordered.  Apparently when I copied the CodecPack.pnd to the menu folder, it somehow screwed up this file when no other PND files have done that.  I even added PND files that would go in the system menu before and after this and there was no issue.  Anyway, the "</openbox-pipe-menu>" thing or whatever spaces or hyphens are used got placed just below the section of the file for the codec pack, and all the other similar sections below it were causing the error.  I moved it to the bottom with mousepad and saved it and that issue was done.

A quick internet search led me to a thread here that showed the terminal command to run a PND.  Tried that and finally got the codec pack installed.  Deleted the pnd because it was still causing issues with Openbox's menu.  I restarted OpenBox just to be sure everything was fine, and it wasn't.  The section in the system menu order file with the codec pack keeps coming back, complete with the "</openbox-pipe-menu>" thing right below it and causing the same error.  I can fix it with mousepad, but the next time I reboot or restart openbox it comes back again.  So not only does it try to find a non-existant file, it screws up the menu too.  I thought about setting the file to read-only for every type of user and manually editing it whenever I add a system PND, but that would probably throw me an error instead.

I would greatly appreciate the help of those more knowledgeable about the Pandora.

Hi. Openbox is my PND. The community codec pack screws up the menu because the program that generates it expects the image filenames in the format of 'image.png', but the codec pack has an image file called something like www.openpandora.org.codec.png (it's not exactly that, but it's the extra dots that causes the problem).

I really should fix it. I'm in the process of adding Openbox to .next, and I'll definately get it sorted it by then.

The standard advice for now with this issue, has been: delete the PND. I realise you've done this, so the problem is most likely that although the PND has gone, the PND system hasn't noticed it, and the .desktop file (in /usr/share/applications, or $HOME/Desktop) is still there.

Rebooting your Pandora will sort it out.

Thanks a bunch.  I believe I tried rebooting by selecting "Restart" instead of "Shutdown," but either that didn't work or I only thought about it and decided not to for whatever reason.  I generally shut it down for the night to save some battery life, but I didn't this time because I didn't want to deal with this issue if it showed up again.

Back