[ New Pandora Use ] flashenv

thanks :) seems you've been nice enough to move all to the new ini and me stupid enough to make that situation work ;-) will check!

*edit*

was checking, works for metmof course. one "thing" is, that you need to click left once on the startscreen so that the window gets the focus *whysoever*. tried simulating mouse press, grab focus and so on to no avail.

*edit2*

another try - now simulating a left click on start and it looks like it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been making some progress again... configuring a game without hacking .ini files will be in the next release :)

I'll also have another look at the input/focus problem.

here you go - another version on the repo!

What's changed?

No more ini-hacking, games can now be configured within the flashenvui. Press DPAD-Y to show/hide the config screen. I hope configuration is rather straight forward - if not, come here and I'll help :)

Additionally a bug has been fixed that caused incorrect mouse coordinates got calculated in framebuffer mode.

Thats all for this update - but I think it's coming along nicely now with the configurability inside the UI.

Still on my TODO:

- cursor rendering in framebuffer mode. I'm half done with it, rendering the cursor already works but there are drawing+flicker issues i need to resolve before giving this out.

- checking how double buffering can be achieved in framebuffer mode and if it works with flash

Would this work nicely for flash movies as well?
Haven't tried, but i can think of a way it could work: Adding movie player .swf and adding the movie file path as an additional flash parameter could work. Will try when there's time :)

Just tried it with http://terrycavanaghgames.com/maverickbird/, which runs great except for some bad tearing problems (which I guess could be fixed if you manage to get double buffering working). The game's graphics seem to be 320x240 pixels, so I tried to see if I could run it in a 320x240 framebuffer and have the hardware scaler show it at the window size, but apparently that's not how it works?

By the way, to get the game to run I had to put it in a folder called www.distractionware.com so the game wouldn't lock me out. :p

Just tried it with http://terrycavanaghgames.com/maverickbird/, which runs great except for some bad tearing problems (which I guess could be fixed if you manage to get double buffering working). The game's graphics seem to be 320x240 pixels, so I tried to see if I could run it in a 320x240 framebuffer and have the hardware scaler show it at the window size, but apparently that's not how it works?

By the way, to get the game to run I had to put it in a folder called www.distractionware.com so the game wouldn't lock me out. :p
what do you mean with framebuffer window size? or what do you want to achieve? i dont understand what you want to have - please explain more so that i could either fix an issue or add a feature.

nice trick btw with the foldername :)

what do you mean with framebuffer window size? or what do you want to achieve? i dont understand what you want to have - please explain more so that i could either fix an issue or add a feature.

nice trick btw with the foldername :)
Well, I was expecting that if I use a framebuffer of 320x240 and a window of 640x480, it would render at 320x240 and get scaled up to 640x480 onscreen. But it only shows at 320x240 onscreen with black borders.

Well, I was expecting that if I use a framebuffer of 320x240 and a window of 640x480, it would render at 320x240 and get scaled up to 640x480 onscreen. But it only shows at 320x240 onscreen with black borders.
 Gotcha! To configure this, it's just the other way round. The "window width" and "window height" are the sizes flash renders. So you'll set that to 320 and 240 respectively. Framebuffer width and height are the sizes how big the framebuffer should get - that means how big it should actually display the contents. So that would be 640 and 480. But you can just leave both values at 0 and the framebuffer size gets automatically calculated to fullscreen while keeping the aspect ratio intact.

Is there any way to play Rokko Chan via it? If so, how?
hm, no idea what rokko chan is. usual way is downloading the .swf and putting it on the sd card, and trying it out. if it doesnt work, a direct link to the .swf will help and i can take a look :)

That only contains a short loader that checks 'location'. flashenv could probably fake that and since it is quite a common 'protection technique' it could be useful in general, but may not be totally legal depending on your jurisdiction. You could also disassemble the loader to gain a method to download the real game (which is probably protected similarly). Might be illegal, too, in your jurisdiction.

How could I be sure? But unless there is an official download of the game without the location check it is quite obvious that it is not intended to be run outside the browser (showing ads). And without explicit permission copying is usually just not allowed. Whether this would actually get you in trouble I don't know, but the possibility is there in quite a lot of countries (but IANAL).

Copyright and supporting laws are pretty far reaching (IMO too far reaching, but that is besides the point). Even if copying would be allowed in your country in this case, the rights holder might still hit you with 'circumvention of an effective protection technique' which is also included in the laws of several countries.

But the included license may just allow this use. I don't know, since I cannot understand most of the page :)

to fake the location, you could try putting the swf in a folder named like the domain. at least it works for terrys maverick bird game.

but i'll have a look to make it configurable after the compo is over, cause updating now is against the rules. :)

Back