New Gpadvance Version - V1.48

Well, you'd need a RAM upgrade because most games are close to 8 meg or more - given the GP32 has a total of 8 meg, you aren't going to be able to play 75% or more of games (a guess - I have a flash card and these days, there are very few 4 meg games) unless they find some way to hack the roms or dynamic load them.

I could be speaking out my rear end, but that's how I understand the situation to be. :p

thats exactly how the situation stands.

i have about thirty roms for gba, pretty much all the decent/popular games.

the only roms i have that would eventually be possibly playable on the gp32 are mario 1,2 and 4, mario kart and f zero.

this is the same problem that currently effects a number of games in os9xgp.

So are you guys saying that GPAdvance will only be able to play select games? That puts a major halt on playing Final Fantasy Tactics and some other great GBA games on the GP.
Maybe some dev will find a way to make the GP use part of the SMC as a page file, in the way Windows does, like virtual RAM.

it would be to slow that way if it ever got done
what about that program that cuts all the unneeded zeros off
that would clear up a lot of space
and since the cpu wont be emulated
the size of the program would be very small
you could probably load 8 mb games that way

but i will probably send my gp32 in to mashmods soon for tuneups

so if the offer a ram upgrade then i will do it

but right now what i hearing is that gba has more ram than gp32
i had never really thought about it but it just hit me
and it pisses me off
gp32 must be better

diablo2 posted on Jul 6 2004 at 01:47 AM said:

and it pisses me off
gp32 must be better
The Gba has crap all RAM like 512kb or something. It uses ROM Cartridges and thats where the problem lies. ROM Cartridges are as fast as RAM. While Gp32 uses the Slower smart media cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
kotd posted on Jul 5 2004 at 08:59 PM said:
diablo2 posted on Jul 6 2004 at 01:47 AM said:

and it pisses me off
gp32 must be better
The Gba has crap all RAM like 512kb or something. It uses ROM Cartridges and thats where the problem lies. ROM Cartridges are as fast as RAM. While Gp32 uses the Slower smart media cards.
ahh..
thank you for clearing that up

why does gba even have ram if it uses cartridges then?

DarkMetroid posted on Jul 6 2004 at 12:03 AM said:
I couldnt find any commercial roms 4mb and under :( . So far all the roms Ive seen are 8mb ones looks like the only way to make most of the roms to work is to get the ram upgrade.
Huh? Check http://releases.pocketheaven.com/advsearch...e=&Sort=Release for instance, has the release info of 580 games which are 32Mbit (4MB).

What happened to the dynamic loading solution to the 4mb < roms? I thought this was at least an idea.. But still, keep up the great work guys! gp32_console

diablo2 posted on Jul 6 2004 at 02:11 AM said:
ahh..
thank you for clearing that up

why does gba even have ram if it uses cartridges then?
Cart's only contain read-only memory, and nearly all games need at least some working storage for variables, etc.

GBA supports ROM carts upto 32mb. Although a lot of the 32mb cart's seem to be movies, cartoons & the like.

There are some sweet titles on that page, I hope to god we get something near full speed!

Good work to all coder's involved.

EDIT: Oh God!

The Moose posted on Jul 6 2004 at 12:24 AM said:
What happened to the dynamic loading solution to the 4mb < roms? I thought this was at least an idea.. But still, keep up the great work guys! gp32_console
what was this?

diablo2 posted on Jul 6 2004 at 12:53 PM said:
what was this?
Dynamically loading the ROMs mean the emulator will load the bits of the ROM in the memory it's using/going to use. Which I think to be tricky bussines, because afaik, you can't tell exactly what the program is going to do... (To where it's going to jump).

Tristan posted on Jul 6 2004 at 09:40 AM said:
diablo2 posted on Jul 6 2004 at 12:53 PM said:
what was this?
Dynamically loading the ROMs mean the emulator will load the bits of the ROM in the memory it's using/going to use. Which I think to be tricky bussines, because afaik, you can't tell exactly what the program is going to do... (To where it's going to jump).
ahh
sort of like a fancy word for streaming

it can't be done
first it would be too slow
and second, like you said, it wouldn't know what the program is going to do

Do games load roms from all over the carts or in a fairly logical progression? If it's all over the place then the idea is screwed but if it's fairly logical then surely it'd be possible - if slow as hell? Perhaps a setting to manually force another chunk to load when you reach the end of a level or whatever would then be possible... (I was weaned on a ZX Spectrum so long loading times are not a stranger).

J(ohn)

johncross85 posted on Jul 6 2004 at 04:03 PM said:
Do games load roms from all over the carts or in a fairly logical progression?
most games store stuff by type, like <huge text block><huge graphics block><huge level data block>, so it reads stuff from a lot of places for one screen to appear.

Back