New Gp32linux Version

thebluenewt posted on May 21 2004 at 07:08 AM said:
Akuma no Houkon posted on May 21 2004 at 01:00 PM said:
You are not stuck with any specific GUI (window manager) like you are with other, lesser operating systems.
I think you can like something too much! :p

But anyway, this sounds interesting. As I'm also fairly ignorant what could this bring to the average GP32 user?
Never!

As for what it can bring, probably not enough for the common GP32 user to really care, besides the technical achivement of the GP32 running a real OS.

If PDA functionality is your thing, you can probably get some notepads, calculators, schedualers, etc... running, maybe a small game here and there. Not much more than a novelty really. But just the fact that I can sit down next to someone who is playing their little GBA, and show them a GP32 with a full OS on it. Is enough for me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if this is a full OS, then we could get linux apps to run on it?
could we have a text editor with chatboard support?
and are there anything that we could use on the 32 that would be cool?
I would really love to have a full OS on here, specially if it is the 32 specific
so, we could do PDA like stuff with this right?
the text editor I would love, maybe some type of Paint program
and is there a way to move files around on the 32?
then that would make Gigas almost perfect

~Octavious

Octavious posted on May 21 2004 at 07:45 AM said:
Well, if this is a full OS, then we could get linux apps to run on it?
could we have a text editor with chatboard support?
and are there anything that we could use on the 32 that would be cool?
I would really love to have a full OS on here, specially if it is the 32 specific
so, we could do PDA like stuff with this right?
the text editor I would love, maybe some type of Paint program
and is there a way to move files around on the 32?
then that would make Gigas almost perfect

~Octavious
Of course linux apps can run on it. Its linux. Thats what its for.

As long as linux, X, and whatever app you are running (and its dependancies), fits in the 8 MB RAM limit, then you shouldnt have a problem, this includes text editors with chatboard support. You have to remember though, that we have 8 MB RAM. So that limits the apps and games we can run simply because they are designed with higher specs in mind. Maybe with the 32mb ram upgrade this would be much much better. Also keep in mind that most of the X based apps, are designed for 640x480 or higher resolutions. So a 320x240 resolution may not be the optimial thing for these apps, although you could probably have a 640x480 virtual desktop and pan arround....

Once it has write support for SMC's (read support only right now) then you should be able to use it like you would any linux drive. Copy, move, delete, create, etc.. all the files you want.

Honestly I doubt it will be very usefull, its more of a novelty, a "Hey look what my handheld can do!" type of thing. But what a great novelty it will be! GP32 with its own OS!

Honestly I doubt it will be very usefull, its more of a novelty, a "Hey look what my handheld can do!" type of thing. But what a great novelty it will be!

In fact I dont feel that way
For me having Linux would be better than any other emulators because linux is an OS, a true one
it means that we will have a spreadsheet, a text editor, a calculator,....and we will be able to compile C/C++/Pascal/ASM on the go and I think this is GREAT

I also think the 32M (and maybe 64M)mod would be usefull for linux in order to have a lot more things

GP32 with its own OS!
BTW : Linux wont be a GP32 exclusivity :p

see you :lol:

washo posted on May 21 2004 at 08:19 AM said:
Honestly I doubt it will be very usefull, its more of a novelty, a "Hey look what my handheld can do!" type of thing. But what a great novelty it will be!

In fact I dont feel that way
For me having Linux would be better than any other emulators because linux is an OS, a true one
it means that we will have a spreadsheet, a text editor, a calculator,....and we will be able to compile C/C++/Pascal/ASM on the go and I think this is GREAT
Taking into account that we will have to make the joystick control the mouse pointer (once we get drivers for it), a 320x240 resolution, 8 MB RAM. The usefullness of an OS on the GP32 is limited. Even with the 32MB RAM Mod, we still have a tiny screen for most anything for an OS. Sure it will have a compiler, but imagine compiling anything on a 133mhz system (hell even a 166 if you OC to that) , hell it takes long enough on my AMD 2600, I couldnt imagine compiling anything decent on a 133 system.

Know any GUI based apps that can be run decently at 320x240? I dont. Even a minimal text editor has window borders and a title bar that take up half the screen at that size (even with minimal border sizes for the GUI). Leaving very little for the actual app to be used. Sure you could develop apps specifically for the GP32 on linux, but wouldnt it be damn near the same thing as developing the exact same app without?

Dont get me wrong, I love the idea of linux on my GP32, and will get a chatboard and 128 MB smc just for it. But I dont harbor any illusions that it will be more than a wannabe PDA. The GP32 is the best homebrew game system I have seen, but it doesnt make that great of a PDA :p,

Hmmm, Xpilot...

Imagine connecting your GP32 to your mobile phone connecting to an Xpilot server, and playing against a load of other people....

Nice.

And as for compiling on the go, you could actually develop GP32 apps using the GP32!

I didnt get you wrong...
I know it will be hard (maybe 'impossible') to work well under Linux but this idea is so beatiful, so great, so what...?

btw : about compiling : I was not talking about recompiling a Kernel or a big thing but at least during classes it could be good to debug all the small apps we have to make...:)

It is maybe useless.....but I WANT IT
わたし は リヌX が 大すき です

Gruntfuggly posted on May 21 2004 at 03:52 PM said:
And as for compiling on the go, you could actually develop GP32 apps using the GP32!
Dev.
Compile for 10 min.
Tells you about a syntax error that you made because of a typo with the chatboard.
Fix.
Compile of 10 min.
Run.
Decide a const needs to be changed.
Compile for 10 min.
See syntax error.
Fix.
Compile.
Run.

Doesn't sound like it would be much fun ;)

But with Linux, I can finally (attempt) to win the GBA vs GP32 aregement with my friend :p

Compile for 10 min.

A long time ago I was compiling using :ph34r: Visual C++ 5.0 :ph34r: with a P166 and it was less than a minut for a small project....

Do you all want to compile hl.dll & client.dll under linux? :blink:
then maybe it will take 10 minuts
If you just wanna compile thing like eg. from a tutorial then maybe 30s would be more than enough

but I may be wrong since Ive never done anything under linux...

I still dont get it why anyone wants linux on his gp32.......
Because linux is soooo good....
A lot of things are already available for it....(even if they wont be usable with the GP32)
And just the fact that linux is running is great...
If you cant still figure out why linux would be cool...then just wait for it to be fully enjoyable and give it a try....:)

Kolkman posted on May 21 2004 at 04:34 PM said:
Maybe someone wants it on HER gp32. Im not a female but..why not have another reason to disagree.

you may want to have a look here
http://www.directfb.org/documentation/GTK_Embedded/

and
here

http://www.handhelds.org/geeklog/index.php
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i hope someday we will have some screenshots
like those

http://gpe.handhelds.org/screenshots/
http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/
http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/view_alb..._albumName=ipaq

================================
for the people who still dont get it
it s cool because it turns your gp32 in a pda :)

Kolkman posted on May 21 2004 at 04:34 PM said:
At least it's something. Who care if it turns out to be fairly useless? It's not like we're so overloaded with gp32 software that we can't add more. Although it would be good for developing gp32 progs on the go. Compiling won't actually take that long, if you were to resort to using the gp32 for development, the chances are that you would enough time to wait. Is it possible to connect the chatboard directly to the gp32? I mean still change the connector but not have any cable joining the two (if that makes sense)?

rcx21000 posted on May 21 2004 at 04:06 PM said:
Dev.
Compile for 10 min.
Tells you about a syntax error that you made because of a typo with the chatboard.
Fix.
Compile of 10 min.
Run.
Decide a const needs to be changed.
Compile for 10 min.
See syntax error.
Fix.
Compile.
Run.

Doesn't sound like it would be much fun ;)
I was kidding... :D

ingeras posted on May 21 2004 at 06:29 PM said:
you may want to have a look here
http://www.directfb.org/documentation/GTK_Embedded/

and
here

http://www.handhelds.org/geeklog/index.php
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i hope someday we will have some screenshots
like those

http://gpe.handhelds.org/screenshots/
http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/
http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/view_alb..._albumName=ipaq

================================
for the people who still dont get it
it s cool because it turns your gp32 in a pda :)
Wow man this is really impresive! I wonder if we will be able to do that on your Gp32!
It would be amazing to turn the Gp32 in a PDA and read some text on it, play some small games, view some good por... i mean JPG's :D We could even use the calendar and adresbook (it might be a litle bit limited 'cuaz the GP32 is lacking a Clock) :D

Can't wait to see this running on my GP32 :D

Because ... the GP32 is the Linux under the handhelds wouldn't it be great to run Linux on the Linux under the handhelds?

Even before we get there, Linux will be very very useful :)

Can you say Lynx? We've yet to have an HTML, text or otherwise, viewer for the GP. Linux allows Lynx to fill that niche, probably very effectively... I'd have thought, at least...

Hi all
I sent a mail to the guy who is working on linux from our beloved GP32
here is the explanation about the non working CHA01

In fact he doesnt have a CHA01 to try so all the code about CHA01 is disabled....
He will send a version supporting a CHA01 as soon as he can

Back