New Gp32linux Version

dr.no posted on May 21 2004 at 04:45 AM said:
:eek: Just so that I fully understand what is going on:
What is the purpose of linux on GP32?
Just because we can. Thats enough purpose for me.

I would love to see my favorite OS on my favorite handheld.

Theoretically you could have a mini pda. Run linux, with TinyX & TWM, and have a mini linux OS with some nice apps and games.

But mainly, because we can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Akuma no Houkon posted on May 21 2004 at 11:51 AM said:

Theoretically you could have a mini pda. Run linux, with TinyX & TWM, and have a mini linux OS with some nice apps and games.

But what can you do with this version of linux ? And do you have screens ?

Version 1.0:
- all smc cards can be mounted as read-only
- a shell is started with output on gp32 screen and input with serial adapter or chatboard

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gp32linux/

this proofs that vimacs is reading gp32spain :) they have the news on their frontpage since hours... :)

as usual...
if you check
gp32x
gp32news
gp32spain
you are always on top with the news :)

Kolkman posted on May 21 2004 at 04:56 AM said:
Akuma no Houkon posted on May 21 2004 at 11:51 AM said:

But what has this version of linux ? And do you have screens ?

I would assume that it has whatever you want it to have, thus the design of linux. It probably doesnt have X running yet. So you will be greated with a nice black & white console, where you can run any console based app. You might be able to muck your way arround and get X running (if they havent already), and once you get X, its only a matter of time before you get a window manager on there.

I ve a prob : I have a CHA01 modified but when I launch bootloaderv1.0 everything seems to go fine but at the end I have a strange message :
here is what it looks on screen
"
boot.bmp gpmm
boot.ini gpsys
game mp3
gpetc

busybox (with a lot of info)
enter 'help'.......

sh: can't access tty; job cont
rol turned off
# (with a blinking square)...

And I cant type anything...
Whats the matter?

see you :lol:

Could possibly be the firmware or bios you are using.

I havent tried it myself, I dont have a chatboard yet so it will just be a tease to see linux running on my GP32 without any way to interact with it. So I couldnt tell you whats wrong. You should ask what bios and firmware is the dev team using for their tests. It could be an incompatiblity with a bios or firmware.

@Akuma no Houkon: I read that framebuffer was supported, so it shouldn't be too hard to get X running. I will experiment this as soon as I have more time.... By the way sound should be supported too... Who wants to try mpg123?

cyberic posted on May 21 2004 at 05:28 AM said:
@Akuma no Houkon: I read that framebuffer was supported, so it shouldn't be too hard to get X running. I will experiment this as soon as I have more time.... By the way sound should be supported too... Who wants to try mpg123?
What kind of sound? OSS? ALSA?

It should support ncurses based apps too.

It would be great to see X running. Any specific version of X you are going to try?
TinyX (or smallX now) should work great
http://www.superant.com/smalllinux/tinyX01.html
TinyX said:
My experience has been using Linux with X Windows on a desktop system with 4 meg of ram and a 200 meg harddrive.
Well we are not running a FULL DESKTOP, so we dont need 200 MB (128 is plenty!), and since our version is extremely hardware specific, we could probably trim the memory requirements down below 4 MB (more room for apps)

errrrrr i need a little help :S what do i need to rn it on my gp32 and what do i put the stuff :huh:

Tristan posted on May 21 2004 at 05:50 AM said:
The chatboard doesn't actually work, I myself tried it, and donskeeto tried it too, neither of us could get it to work.
Hmm, makes you wonder what exactally is the setup the dev team has if they claim it works for them...oh well now that it can read the SMC, it wont be too long until they get some meaningfull distro out of it. Just another reason to get a chatboard.

Is this just a command like of linux? or dus it have a GUI????
I will let that go as just common ignorance.

The command line you see is a bash shell. Its to linux as dos is to windows. (well not really but thats the best laymans description I can give) Except in this instance, with linux, you can run any 'GUI' you choose. You are not stuck with any specific GUI (window manager) like you are with other, lesser operating systems. There are many to choose from. X is the layer that most GUI's sit on. Such as TWM, KDE, Gnome, and many many more. Now you wont get KDE or Gnome on the GP32 because of resource limits. But there are many other "GUI's" that are designed for lower resource hardware. X itself can even be a GUI of sorts.

Hmm, makes you wonder what exactally is the setup the dev team has if they claim it works for them
I've just been through the gp32 kernel patch, and there doesn't appear to be any sign of any chatboard code (unless I'm missing something) :(

Akuma no Houkon posted on May 21 2004 at 01:00 PM said:
You are not stuck with any specific GUI (window manager) like you are with other, lesser operating systems.
I think you can like something too much! :p

But anyway, this sounds interesting. As I'm also fairly ignorant what could this bring to the average GP32 user?

Back