New Gp2x Wont Do 240mhz With Both Cpu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orkie said:
Turnip said:
Well there clearly is. It was sold as a 240mhz model and its not. And 260 isnt that great. Its never gonna emulate PSX with those speeds so im gonna have to get a propper one at some point...
Then return it. It shouldn't really be advertised as 240MHz, because the chip simply isn't rated by the manufacturer as such. It is a 200MHz chip like it or not. You do have a 'proper' GP2X and any higher overclock you get is pure chance. And actually, most people around here seem to only have 260MHz ones, my 300+ is an exception, not at all common, despite what you seem to think.

As far as I remember I havent posted anything about 300+ ones so I find it awfully interesting that you profess to know how common I seem to think they are.

Id be happy with a 260mhz one but 230 is a joke. Eveyone else's does 240 at least. This one should never have left the factory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, with the latest advancements in software, there's no need to overclock past 240Mhz. Not even Payback goes past that (by default), and it pushes the hardware to its limits while still managing to run at a great speed.

I was referring to the fact that you seem to think insane overclocks are common, not 300MHz in particular. And you do have a 260MHz one, you said so yourself. They are rated by the main core, not the secondary one. Furthermore, when running anything that uses the second CPU you probably won't ever need to overclock to get full speed. If anything, you'll be underclocking. What do you think you need 260MHz for exactly? The battery life will be fairly poor at that speed anyway.

GPH doesn't claim they run at 240MHz which is why it left the factory - anything beyond 200 is a bonus, not a right. And as I understood it, the 940 is known to clock less highly than the 920 anyway.

Turnip said:
Orkie said:
Turnip said:
Well there clearly is. It was sold as a 240mhz model and its not. And 260 isnt that great. Its never gonna emulate PSX with those speeds so im gonna have to get a propper one at some point...
Then return it. It shouldn't really be advertised as 240MHz, because the chip simply isn't rated by the manufacturer as such. It is a 200MHz chip like it or not. You do have a 'proper' GP2X and any higher overclock you get is pure chance. And actually, most people around here seem to only have 260MHz ones, my 300+ is an exception, not at all common, despite what you seem to think.

As far as I remember I havent posted anything about 300+ ones so I find it awfully interesting that you profess to know how common I seem to think they are.

Id be happy with a 260mhz one but 230 is a joke. Eveyone else's does 240 at least. This one should never have left the factory.

hmm... seems my post got you confused (i dont blame you)
with both cores overclocked+ ramhack most of us reaches 225mhz (tested with egoboo2x) me mentioning 240mhz was on single core. not both
when both cores are overclocked they must assume same speed , so clocking 2 cores will always be slower than single core overclock

Oh, he's talking about the 940 not OCing past 230? That's no reason to be dissatisfied, remember that if some of the key people didn't work hard to make use of the 940, you wouldn't even know it existed. The OC rate of the 940 is really nothing like that of the 920. Your 920 goes to 260, you should be thankful, you were lucky, mine is only half-stable at 250.

Of course, if being the prick-customer makes your day brighter, who am I to argue? :rolleyes:

Not slower, but the MHz will be lower if you overclock while using both cores.
Most GP2X overclock to 240MHz single-core and 225MHz dual core.

My 2x overclocks to 280MHz single-core and 240MHz dual... mine is a very early first edition though...

Orkie said:
I was referring to the fact that you seem to think insane overclocks are common, not 300MHz in particular. And you do have a 260MHz one, you said so yourself. They are rated by the main core, not the secondary one. Furthermore, when running anything that uses the second CPU you probably won't ever need to overclock to get full speed. If anything, you'll be underclocking. What do you think you need 260MHz for exactly? The battery life will be fairly poor at that speed anyway.

GPH doesn't claim they run at 240MHz which is why it left the factory - anything beyond 200 is a bonus, not a right. And as I understood it, the 940 is known to clock less highly than the 920 anyway.
I need both cores to run at the speed specified on the site I baught it from in order to play Thunder on the megaCD. It dosent say anything about the second core not being 240 on the site I baught it from. The main core may aswel be 230 anyway because you cant clock them seperatly so the defective one holds it back. Ive read on this site many times that everyones unit should do 240 so I don't know where your getting your infomation from. Saying it'll do 240 if you switch half of it off dosent wash im afraid.

Yes, and everybody is referring to the main core on this site. Absorb this information now. I can't be bothered arguing any longer, you're a lost cause :S.

i think all gp2x,s had discarded 266mhz cpus in them so they are rated as 200mhz ones. anything over 200mhz is considered a bonus.

what site or store claimed it was 240mhz ????

Alex. said:
Oh, he's talking about the 940 not OCing past 230? That's no reason to be dissatisfied, remember that if some of the key people didn't work hard to make use of the 940, you wouldn't even know it existed. The OC rate of the 940 is really nothing like that of the 920. Your 920 goes to 260, you should be thankful, you were lucky, mine is only half-stable at 250.

Of course, if being the prick-customer makes your day brighter, who am I to argue? :rolleyes:
The other day I was reading a thread on PSX emulation using the second core and someone said that most peoples will do 250. Now if most peoples will do 250, and mine will only do 230 when it was sold as capable of 240 I think I have the right to be a bit miffed.

Anyway, i'll call them tommorow but im gonna get my money back so I can get a 275mhz one so theres no more messing about (and when they say 275 they mean botrh cores, as i beleve they do when they say 240) but I need to find somewhere that still has them. Does anyone know anywhere?

Orkie said:
Yes, and everybody is referring to the main core on this site. Absorb this information now. I can't be bothered arguing any longer, you're a lost cause :S.
Yeah, thats not true, read my above post.

evol said:
i think all gp2x,s had discarded 266mhz cpus in them so they are rated as 200mhz ones. anything over 200mhz is considered a bonus.

what site or store claimed it was 240mhz ????
This one.

You will NOT find one that can sustain 275MHz on both cores simultaneously... but if you must continue this pointless endevour, good luck to you. Don't say we didn't try to tell you otherwise...

Turnip said:
Alex. said:

The other day I was reading a thread on PSX emulation using the second core and someone said that most peoples will do 250. Now if most peoples will do 250, and mine will only do 230 when it was sold as capable of 240 I think I have the right to be a bit miffed.

Anyway, i'll call them tommorow but im gonna get my money back so I can get a 275mhz one so theres no more messing about (and when they say 275 they mean botrh cores, as i beleve they do when they say 240) but I need to find somewhere that still has them. Does anyone know anywhere?

hmm you dont get it do you ? theres no such thing as a 275mhz model. and if psx emulation will EVER be fullspeed with 2 cores im pretty sure the devs have 225mhz as their target point (im just assuming i really cant speak for the devs but it seems like common sense)

look here. Notice the post by julius. I got it wrong and he said 240 not 250 but mine wont even do that.

So im not sure where all this tripe about them only doing 225 is coming from.

Your bloody GP2X can do 240! The second core is disabled in the PXS emulator anyway as nothing uses it! Even then it 'only' runs a few games at full speed. The GP2X isn't the platform to get for PSX emulation, for that there is the PSP. Sorry, julius was wrong.

evol said:
Turnip said:
Alex. said:

hmm you dont get it do you ? theres no such thing as a 275mhz model. and if psx emulation will EVER be fullspeed with 2 cores im pretty sure the devs have 225mhz as their target point (im just assuming i really cant speak for the devs but it seems like common sense)

Yeah, if you look here you'll notice it has a duel 275 core.

Whats with all the idiots? :blink:

Turnip: You're gonna fit here just fine, you're just the asset this community needs.

Turnip said:

And we are telling you that it's wrong! You are asking questions then ignoring answers when they aren't those that you want. I think you'll find we do know what we're on about, unlike you.
Also, that link you posted is to a tested overclocker. Not a 275 model.

Orkie said:
Your bloody GP2X can do 240! The second core is disabled in the PXS emulator anyway as nothing uses it! Even then it 'only' runs a few games at full speed. The GP2X isn't the platform to get for PSX emulation, for that there is the PSP. Sorry, julius was wrong.
Hopefully future PSX emulators will use both cores. Nobody disputed what julius said in that thread so I have no reason to think that he was wrong.

Orkie said:
Turnip said:

And we are telling you that it's wrong! You are asking questions then ignoring answers when they aren't those that you want. I think you'll find we do know what we're on about, unlike you.
Also, that link you posted is to a tested overclocker. Not a 275 model.

It is a model that will run both cores at 275mhz wich one of you experts in this thread was claiming was impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back