Help With Power Adapters

kerplunk

Still Fresh
I am having trouble finding a Power Adapter for the GP2X and cradle in the US. My problem is the whole "regulated" versus "unregulated" or center positive versus center negative.

I have read on the forums that the requirements for GP2X is 3VDC@1000mA, center - and crade is 5VDC@3amps, center +.

I have searched ebay and have found this for the GP2X:

Power Adapter

And this for the cradle:

cradle power adapter

They do not say that they are regulated. Will these two do the trick? Thanks for the help or if any US owners know of a specific model that would be better...please let me know!

Thanks,
Rob

First, why you need a regulated supply:

With an unregulated power supply, think of the voltage (V) and current (A) as sitting on a seesaw. If a transformer is rated as 5V@1000mA, and you have a 5V device draws only 500mA, the voltage coming out of the transformer will go up (potentially causing damage). Regulated supplies maintain the rated voltage, no matter how little current you pull.

The transformers you've posted, while they don't specify it, would have to be regulated (because they allow you to set the voltage). But I get the feeling that they will only deliver their full current capacity on the lowest voltage setting.

CRADLE SUPPLY:
I think that as long as you're not drawing the full 500mA from each USB port (the standard maximum for USB), you'll get away with it. Just be careful with polarity.

GP2X SUPPLY:
Why not buy an official one?

Back