New Gp2x Wont Do 240mhz With Both Cpu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnip

Hi, the other week I bought one of these and the second cpu will only do 230mhz but I baught it as a 240mhz model from the UK store. When they say its a 240mhz model they are talking about both cpu's arnet they??

Thanks for any advice.

Turnip said:
Hi, the other week I bought one of these and the second cpu will only do 230mhz but I baught it as a 240mhz model from the UK store. When they say its a 240mhz model they are talking about both cpu's arnet they??

Thanks for any advice.
Why not ask the company you bought it from? They will confirm for you, and if necessary, replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Turnip said:

Thanks for any advice.
Why not ask the company you bought it from? They will confirm for you, and if necessary, replace.

Thats what i'll do.

I just found it hard to beleve that ive been so amazingly unlucky. I was reading on here that in most peoples they can both run at 250 so that would mean the one I have is way below par. Has anyone else come accross one like this or is it not commonly heard of?

DaveC has one of them i believe only worse, i think his only reaches 240mhz.

I think I have the answer for you. I had a similar problem until I enabled CraigX's RAM timings and SquidgeHack within the PicoDrive advanced options.

Try enabling these and restart PicoDrive.

I went from getting pathetic overclocks (about 210-220 from memory) to now getting 245MHz. If I go higher the sound starts to get garbled. 256MHz and above it crashes for me.

Edit: On single core emus I can overclock higher (260+).

Edit 2: Regarding DaveC, I think he gets max 240MHz even in single core emulators. What do you get in single core emus, Turnip?

Thanks for the advice imhotep ill try that now.

Edit: It didnt seem to make a difference unfortunetly.

Try another game and only push it a few MHz higher?

I would keep your unit anyway. 260 is a decent enough overclock for a MK2 GP2X and you could end up with a 240-250MHz model if you send it back. Most emus only use the first core anyway.

But another emu that uses the 2nd core is the new GnGeo and it uses the 2nd CPU so you don't have to overclock as high. NeoGeo stuff can now be mostly run at 200MHz.

Couldn't it be a problem with batteries instead of the GP2X?

Perhaps they doesn't generate enough current to overclock to higher cpu speeds.

And be sure I'm talking from full ignorance.

In sonic 2 I can now run it at 234, anything over that and it starts making horrible noise, but it dosent crash before 238 like it did before so it seems to have improved it a little.

I wish they'd make it so you could set the speeds of the cpu's individualy so my 230 one wouldent hold back my 260 one.

I think i'll keep this one (even tho I feel slightly cheated) until I can find somewhere still selling one of the guaranteed 275 ones and then sell it.

The clocks dont seem to go higher with new batteries so I assume that dosent effect it.

Why does it matter? Sonic 2 should run full speed at less than 200MHz anyway. Where the 940 is used, it so far seems to have made such a difference that you don't need to overclock. Overclocking uses more battery power than using the 940 anyway, so it's best to keep the clock as low as possible. Nearly everybody's 940 clocks slower than the 920 too. My 920 can get over 300 MHz on most things, but I think the 940 caps out at about 260.

I just picked sonic 2 at random. The game im trying to get it running fast for is thunder on the CD but turning on CraigX's RAM timings and SquidgeHack make little to no difference in that whereas it makes about 5ghz difference with sonic 2.

Does anyone know anywhere selling the 275mhz model?

It kinda feels like theyve skimmed off the good ones, sold them as 275's and the ones for sale now are the ones that didnt meet the grade. So when one buys a value pack your buying one that is guaranteed to go no faster than 275. I think they should test the chips before they put them in and throw all the rubbish ones away or sell them to someone making calculators or something.

There is no 275MHz model. All GP2Xs are rated for 200Mhz, gp2x.co.uk decided to sell some tested overclockable ones but presumably the testing didn't give reliable enough results so they stopped. They are not skimping out, 200MHz is the correct speed and is perfectly adequate for pretty much everything (and as you said, the main core overclocks to 260MHz on your GP2X which is a good speed considering some don't even go above 240MHz). Plus, all the GP2Xs you buy now aren't even in the same batch as those that were sold as overclockable for that short time., so they haven't got rid of all the 'good' ones.

Sorry, your theory is totally wrong, please stop complaining as there is nothing wrong with your GP2X.

Orkie said:
There is no 275MHz model. All GP2Xs are rated for 200Mhz, gp2x.co.uk decided to sell some tested overclockable ones but presumably the testing didn't give reliable enough results so they stopped. They are not skimping out, 200MHz is the correct speed and is perfectly adequate for pretty much everything (and as you said, the main core overclocks to 260MHz on your GP2X which is a good speed considering some don't even go above 240MHz). Plus, all the GP2Xs you buy now aren't even in the same batch as those that were sold as overclockable for that short time., so they haven't got rid of all the 'good' ones.

Sorry, your theory is totally wrong, please stop complaining as there is nothing wrong with your GP2X.
Well there clearly is. It was sold as a 240mhz model and its not. And 260 isnt that great. Its never gonna emulate PSX with those speeds so im gonna have to get a propper one at some point...

sehs33 said:
Are you using NiMh rechargables with 2500+ mah?
Yeah, 4 came with it. Do batteries make a difference?

Turnip said:
Well there clearly is. It was sold as a 240mhz model and its not. And 260 isnt that great. Its never gonna emulate PSX with those speeds so im gonna have to get a propper one at some point...
Then return it. It shouldn't really be advertised as 240MHz, because the chip simply isn't rated by the manufacturer as such. It is a 200MHz chip like it or not. You do have a 'proper' GP2X and any higher overclock you get is pure chance. And actually, most people around here seem to only have 260MHz ones, my 300+ is an exception, not at all common, despite what you seem to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back