New Gp2x Infected?

pig2x

Still Fresh
Anybody else found that their new GP2X arrived with the RavMonE.exe virus sitting on it?

Who'd you buy from??

I bought it from the UK distributor. I rang them about it several days ago, but they haven't called back.

And I know that the GP2X is not itself impaired by carrying the file, but threads need brief titles.

Hmmm... how do I go about finding it..???

Connect to PC with USB
[Firmware 3.0.0 :] Settings > USB > Built-In
Up comes the file listing on my PC, and ...

... it's right there in my main directory alongside the gp2x_license file and the License directory, supertux directory, vektar directory, etc.

Did you try opening it, what does it do? :)

No, I didn't try that. But I did try scanning it with AVG on an old Windows box. AVG wants to kill it deader than a dead thing.

Yorper said:
trooper said:
old Windows box
I`m assuming AVG isn`t as old as your window box ?.

Trooper

And that would matter how? Oh yeah, it wouldnt matter, it was found to be a virus. Btw some ipods shipped with this virus on them too back in 2006.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ravmone-exe

EDIT: Added link.

I ment, Are his AVG virus definitions upto date, Then it could matter.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper said:
Yorper said:
trooper said:
old Windows box
I`m assuming AVG isn`t as old as your window box ?.

Trooper

And that would matter how? Oh yeah, it wouldnt matter, it was found to be a virus. Btw some ipods shipped with this virus on them too back in 2006.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ravmone-exe

EDIT: Added link.

I ment, Are his AVG virus definitions upto date, Then it could matter.

Trooper

Not really. I think you're thinking of the reverse.

Are you sure your PC isn't infected - the virus copies itself to removable media.

The GP2X connected via USB is seen as removable media as is the SD card.

Where in the file structure was it?

If this was the case, and AVG found it on the GP2X, surely it would have found it on the PC beforehand.

Maybe people could actually consider listening to the OP, instead of dismissing this entirely as his own fault.

cHEM said:
Maybe people could actually consider listening to the OP, instead of dismissing this entirely as his own fault.
I wasn't blaming anyone, I was just proposing an alternative explanation.

The fact remains that there aren't loads of people reporting the same thing.

If the GP2X is being shipped with this trojan, it's important for Windows users to know. It would interesting to know if this has happened to anyone else.

cHEM said:
If this was the case, and AVG found it on the GP2X, surely it would have found it on the PC beforehand.

From reading the previous posts it doesn't appear that anyone was being blamed, people were simply trying to help and establish whether this is a genuine issue. It is quite possible that the virus was on the pc originally and AVG detected the virus transfering. No one has said this is definately the case however but just a possibility before jumping to the conclusion that a batch of GP2Xs contain the virus.

If you connected to the gp2x using the mass storage option rather than samba via usb network, then what is the date of the file? That could give you a clue where its from.

Also, I'd give your PC and full scan - viruses have been known to hide from virus scanners, and can sometimes remain hidden until the pc is scanned, or the virus tries to copy itself elsewhere.

depends where the file was, if it was on the nand when the op got the 2x then it must have been shipped with the virus, if a sd card was plugged in, it might have sneaked onto the sd card and then when the 2x was plugged in it could have shown as being infected...

Parkydr said:
I wasn't blaming anyone, I was just proposing an alternative explanation.

Sorry mate, I wasn't getting at you specifically-- just the "average" response to the original post. Though, looking back, they probably didn't justify my response either. I guess I'm just in a bad mood generally.

Grrr!

Samba Pa Ti said:
depends where the file was, if it was on the nand when the op got the 2x then it must have been shipped with the virus, if a sd card was plugged in, it might have sneaked onto the sd card and then when the 2x was plugged in it could have shown as being infected...
hmmm, I thought new gp2x's were shipping with fw3.0 by default, which doesn't allow access to the nand via usb? Or am I mistaken?

I've certainly heard something along those lines :)

Back