Virus Warning For People Passing Around A Certain

bast525

Okay I hope I"m not breakign any rules here but I have to let you guys know this somehow, could be a lot at risk for a lot of people.

Okay recently a *certain* emulator was released (think multiple .fxe's) and people were having a lot of trouble finding games that would work with said emu. Then some guys got together behind the scenes and started getting all the working games together amongst all of them to create a complete set of working games.... and started passing them around to people who asked.

Well, a couple people passed the collection on to me, and I found that it is infected with a virus!

So apparently, some dickhead has infected one or more of the game packs with said virus for everyone else to pass around. I recieved said packs from two different people, each sent the files broken up into three seperate packs, and in each case, all three of the seperate zip files contained a virus.

Anyways, again I'm sorry if I'm bringing up something maybe I shouldn't have but I had to warn people who are passing around these packs to scan them for viruses and just be very careful.

and for whoever put the viruses in there you are a friggin A-hole.

Waitaminnit!

You can't get a virus from opening a .zip, unless you run an .exe file within said .zip

... how did you get this virus? What did it do to your PC?

no I didn't actually 'get' the virus.

I have a Hotmail account, which automatically scans all attachments sent to me with emails for viruses. And when I recieved some emails with those games attached in Zip files, hotmail scanned them and said they contained a virus. It wouldn't even let me download the files, so I dont have them on my computer.

Telco you do bring up a good point though... about needing to run an .exe to get a virus.

I dunno maybe hotmail is falsely detecting something? I would have further checked out the files if I could have downloaded them...

Anyways I thought it was a good idea to get some kind of warning out but I'm sorry if this is a false alarm.

Sucks for me either way because I still am not getting to enjoy said games on my GP 32 :( :( :(

At my job, Outlook has been set up to never even allow .zips as attachments.

Perhaps there may be some settings in hotmail that is similar.

Can you forward me the e-mail? (telcoloo "at" yahoo "dot" com)

I can see if yahoo detects is as well.

At my job, Outlook has been set up to never even allow .zips as attachments.

hmm.. is that really what you want it for?? :lol:

tekt5 posted on Mar 22 2005 at 09:41 PM said:
  At my job at Outlook has been set up to never even allow .zips as attachments.

hmm.. is that really what you want it for?? :lol:

:lol: No worries; I have all the ROMS already. Chances are, also from the same source ... I'm curious about the virus-detection-thingy. Seriously :lol:

.. really. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahem... dickhead?

A-Hole?

I think you'll find that those insults are better directed at Microsoft since I'm fairly certain that Hotmail is misreporting a virus. It has happened to many of my contacts lately and I've ended up setting them up with Gmail accounts instead.

well I know that I *CAN* recieve zip files as attachments, as I download stuff at work all the time and then email them to myself.

Sure I"ll forward the emails to you and maybe you can see whats up.

f'ign sucks I REALLY want to play this on my GP....

sorry but if someone is passing around a virus they are a dickhead, and if it is just a misreported virus than those insults were directed to nobody.. it's not like I"m pointing fingers at anyone in particular or trying to blame anyone specifically... just mad because we are a good community of guys and that a bunch of guys took their own time to get all these working games together was really great of them, and if someone has to go and spoil it by throwing a virus in there than they are a dickhead.

Telco - I tried to email them to you but hotmail wont let me, it says it will not allow me to send attachments that contain viruses... I've never seen it scan like that before when I try to send attachments myself that are on my own computer, but this was me just trying to forward the email to you. when I hit forward it gave me a message that it was scanning the attachments and then said it would not include the attachment.

bast525 posted on Mar 23 2005 at 03:25 AM said:
Telco - I tried to email them to you but hotmail wont let me, it says it will not allow me to send attachments that contain viruses... I've never seen it scan like that before when I try to send attachments myself that are on my own computer, but this was me just trying to forward the email to you. when I hit forward it gave me a message that it was scanning the attachments and then said it would not include the attachment.

Your hotmail virus detector is dodgy ;) I know one guy who sent said email and said e-mail zips were scanned with the latest virus software and found no viruses.

*sigh* well this f'ing sucks...

well guys sorry for the false alarm. Well really NOT sorry, I mean, I'm glad that no one got any viruses from this, but sorry for creating a fuss over it... I saw virus warning and just thought it'd be stupid of me NOT to say something to somebody.

well guess I'm stuck not being able to play these games on my GP... what are my alternatives just get a different email account? Yahoo then?

bast525 posted on Mar 22 2005 at 11:10 PM said:

well guys sorry for the false alarm. Well really NOT sorry, I mean, I'm glad that no one got any viruses from this, but sorry for creating a fuss over it... I saw virus warning and just thought it'd be stupid of me NOT to say something to somebody.

well guess I'm stuck not being able to play these games on my GP... what are my alternatives just get a different email account? Yahoo then?

Yes. I use Yahoo mail for all my ... transfer needs. You can send up to a 10MB attachment. :rolleyes:

e-mail me if you feel like talking about ... well, the weather in Bora Bora for example...

heh will do and thanks TelcoLou... guess I'll be setting up a yahoo account later tonite.

Again, sorry for the false alarm guys, better safe than sorry you know?

You can never be too safe.

many virus scanners see java files as viruses, there's also the chance that it's seeing a specificly named zip file as one of the many email viruses that go around. I've occasionally gotten emails with "zip" attachments in obvious virus mails and the names can be kinda generic.

Some viruses are named with fake extentions hoping that you'll click it expecting it to open with winzip but instead tries to run it like an exe. They have too many tricks.

I get all my own roms but I hope this is just a false alarm for those of you sharing with each other.

bast525 posted on Mar 23 2005 at 04:10 AM said:

It seems Hotmail does not allow zip or rar files to contian multiple zip files within zip files. The only way I have managed to email them to anyone is to convert them into an SFX using winrar.

Hi Folks,

I work in my local University in the I.T. Dept, and in my books anyone who doesn't have virus and spy ware protection is a risk.I spend way too much of my time removing all the trash off peoples computers and it REALLY annoys me.

Mind you, there is an up side here. If ever I'm stuck on my own in someone’s office watching a little blue line filling the progress bar, it gives me a chance to play Kirby or Mappy on Little John .

Oh Here's something Interesting about security. For once Microsoft got things right. There's a security risk in some of the latest browsers (Netscape, Mozilla etc). Its all to do with Unicode. Unicode provides a unique number for every character, no matter what the platform, no matter what the program, no matter what the language, and has become the industry standard. This now means you can have a domain name with Unicode characters in them. Such as Chinese Characters.
The latest update of Mozilla etc includes something called Punycode. Punycode changes the characters to something readable in your own native language. This does mean that you can spoof Domain names. So when you want to make sure you're at eBays REAL website you look at the URL. And if that has eBays Domain you would expect to be okay. Not with Punycode, all the spoofers have to do is to get a domain name and change one character of it to unicode so that Punycode changes it back to the relevant character.
Internet explorer at present has not adopted punycode. I get the feeling that was an accident though .
Oh and another thing, looking to see if the site you are at is SSL secured isn’t a big asset anymore. You can get free SSL certificates now days, mind you, most good SSL providers will refuse to give you a certificate if you use Unicode in your domain name, but not all.

Tatty bye for now.

Clare.

Back