New Gp2x F-200

pea said:
Somebody please point me to a link/post on the graigolator/GP3X.
There has been a lot of mysterious mention of this device.
Is it based on the community 'Ninja' some years back?
Is Graigx developing/building it, or is it GPH, or another company?
Sehs33 already kinda gave you this, but here's a direct link to the first post (which contains a summary of information): http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=38044

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper said:
Oh and mine GP2x is going in the bin/trash, I couldn`t put anyone through the nightmare that is the stock stick, Let alone charge them for it. :eek:

Trooper
Let me PM you the address of the exact trash can you should put it in. You wouldn't want a stray hobo to come along and pull that GP2X out, would you?

;)

pea said:
Somebody please point me to a link/post on the graigolator/GP3X.
There has been a lot of mysterious mention of this device.
Is it based on the community 'Ninja' some years back?
Is Graigx developing/building it, or is it GPH, or another company?
Graig! <_< Graigx! :blush: Blaaaarg!

On a side note: someone's going to have to make a new smiley forum icon for the F-200 :)

I don't mean to attract any flameage for this comment, but this is b*llsh*t. Granted the new additions are nice for new customers but GPH have left this too long, and I for one am not paying for the same console with:

-a dpad that should've preferably been there from the start.

-A touchscreen that feels like its only been included to sweeten a deal thats been offered way too late.

-No center click replacement I can see.

-Nothing new like 3d or wifi to justify spending the money again.

-A color change. Yay.

And where is the freaking firmware update people needed months ago so the cradles or dev boards actually perform their function?

I still like the 2x. Mine is gonna end up an in car media thing as soon as open2x comes out and hopefully that will allow me to use a usb controller as an input device for everything.

Unless GPH release something mind-blowing in the future thats well designed from the start and worth my cash, pardon my language, but they can suck my balls.

EDIT: grammar

sold said:
I don't mean to attract any flameage for this comment, but this is b*llsh*t. Granted the new additions are nice for new customers but GPH have left this too long, and I for one am not paying for the same console with:

-A touchscreen that feels like its only been included to sweeten a deal thats been offered way too late.

-A color change. Yay.

And where is the freaking firmware update people needed months ago so the cradles or dev boards actually perform their function?

I still like the 2x. Mine is gonna end up an in car media thing as soon as open2x comes out and hopefully that will allow me to use a usb controller as an input device for everything.

Unless GPH release something mind-blowing in the future thats well designed from the start and worth my cash, pardon my language, but they can suck my balls.

EDIT: grammar
Simple thought. Don't buy it then. There, problem solved. This goes for everyone who is angry about this. If you don't want to buy the F-200, then don't. :D

sold said:

whoa whoa whoa slow down here, your biting the bullet a bit. From the start? as far as im concerned from the start the GP32 came with a joystick not a d-pad. People however claimed that since it has 2D acceleration, a d-pad would of been a better choice, since 3D games favor the joystick more than a d-pad.

the GP2X havent reached the 5 year lifespan that a game console or handheld has. This implementation will give air to newer games/application.

No one knows this for sure yet.

wait for 3X, if your happy with f-100 then stick with it.

-A color change. Yay.

Now you got options.

the firmware is open source, grab some C+ books and update yourself, or wait for open2x. Thats the whole open source purpose of 2X, its yours, do what you want with it.

Simple thought. Don't buy it then. There, problem solved. This goes for everyone who is angry about this. If you don't want to buy the F-200, then don't. biggrin.gif

Fair point :lol: I was just venting a little. The stupid design flaws of the old models really hit home when I saw the new version. I think GPH have pissed alot of people in the community off by fixing the design flaws way too late.

They can still suck my balls though :lol:

Edit: Cervante, I know my criticism sounded harsh, and you also make fair points. But GPH have FINALLY made the improvements people have been asking for, but not before they sold all the units they had originally manufactured. It seems a little harsh they'll take peoples money and then it's like "here's the same product fixed the way you wanted it in the first place" It's kinda offensive that all the feedback people made that they thought fell upon deaf ears actually didn't.

As for updating the firmware, I'll just wait for open2x. Sounds like its gonna be good. :)

This explains why NK at GPH spent so much time on Qtopia.

Here is the updated comparison sheet. The GP2X looks a lot more attractive now.

CODE

DSLite PSP (slim) Craigiator GP2X-F200
CPU1 ARM9@67Mhz MIPS R4000 @ 333 ARM9@360Mhz ARM9@200
CPU2 ARM9@33Mhz MIPS R4000 @ 333 ARM9@300Mhz ARM9@200
Memory 4 MB 64MB + 2MB (embedded) 128MB 64MB
3D Video Yes, also VPU 166MHz Core VRender3D None
Triagles (per second) 120,000 33 Million 1 Million >30,000
Fill (pixels/sec) ?? 664 Million 400 Million ?
Screen Size 3" 4.3" 4.3" 3.5"
Screen Res 256x192x2 480×272 800x480 320x240
TV-Out No Yes Yes Yes
Brightness control Yes 4 settings ? No (third-party app)
Digital control Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD Yes, DPAD 8-way.
Headphone jack 3.5 Sony ? 3.5
Analog control touch screen Nub touch screen touch screen
Touchscreen Yes No Yes Yes
Wifi Yes Yes Yes No
Weight 218g 189g ? 161g (without batteries)

EDIT btw, the Cragiator has not been unconfirmed as the MMSP2+ ;) so the specs there are probably all wrong.

Sounds like a great project you guys have going with the '3X' or whatever it will be called (hopefull not that). Good call having a small team working on it.

That openmoko device looks great. I'll be getting one for sure once they finalise hardware. Compared to the handsets we purchase for testing (i.e. mid-top end Nokia devices mostly) the price is extremely reasonable!

I agree with half the comments in this post. Good on GPH for releasing an update. Look somewhere else if you are expecting a redesigned machine though - that's obviously not what the F200 is, and complaining isn't going to change it.

I don't mean to crap on about this too much. I'm just disappointed in how GPH have handled things. But I do hope the new improvements to the 2x attract more users and developers to the device.
Personally, I hope Craigix and co. kick total ass with the new thing and design it properly from the start. GPH should've done the same.

icurafu said:

CODE
CPU2 ARM9@33Mhz ?? ARM9@300Mhz ARM9@200
MIPS 100+ (?) ?? 700+ 400+
Memory 4 MB 32MB + 2MB (embedded) 128MB 64MB
3D Video Yes, also VFPU. 166MHz Core VRender3D None
Triagles (per second) 120,000 33 Million 1 Million ?30,000?
TV-Out No Yes Yes Yes
Headphone jack 3.5 Sony crap ? 3.5
Wifi Yes Yes Yes No

EDIT btw, the Cragiator has not been unconfirmed as the MMSP2+ ;) so the specs there are probably all wrong.

This is nitpicking, but I have a few additions to/beefs with your list:

- PSP's CPUs are MIPS32 4k @ 333MHz, both of them.
- May as well go with ~667 MIPS if you're going to give that to the others, note this is a maximum, not an average.
- On that note, MMSP2+ can't get 700+ MIPS, it isn't superscalar. Maximum is 660.
- DS has lots of other little pieces of memory floating around: 32KB of ITCM, 16KB of DTCM, 32KB of shared IWRAM, 64KB of ARM7 IWRAM, 656KB of VRAM, 2KB of palette, 2KB of OAM.. all of this in addition to the 4MB of main RAM.
- PSP slim has 64MB of main RAM. Both models have another 2MB of eDRAM in addition to the 2 you cited (for the media engine). Neither are relevant for commercial games but could be for homebrew (if the Slim gets exploited, and there's reason to hope there)
- DS does NOT have a VFPU. PSP, on the other hand, does. DS does have some builtin matrix math functionality in the 3D hardware but it's fixed point and not very programmable.
- 30,000 polygons per sec for GP2X is incredibly.. ungenerous. I believe even 32x was rated higher than that and its CPUs were much worse than GP2X's. I'd be surprised if Payback doesn't push more than that.
- You shouldn't be too hard on PSP's audio jack considering it does come with an adapter (well, value pack did, not so sure about the core pack..) Not so sure about the slim PSP...
- Slim PSP weighs 33% less than the current one.

Exophase said:
icurafu said:

CODE
CPU2 ARM9@33Mhz ?? ARM9@300Mhz ARM9@200
MIPS 100+ (?) ?? 700+ 400+
Memory 4 MB 32MB + 2MB (embedded) 128MB 64MB
3D Video Yes, also VFPU. 166MHz Core VRender3D None
Triagles (per second) 120,000 33 Million 1 Million ?30,000?
TV-Out No Yes Yes Yes
Headphone jack 3.5 Sony crap ? 3.5
Wifi Yes Yes Yes No

This is nitpicking, but I have a few additions to/beefs with your list:

- PSP's CPUs are MIPS32 4k @ 333MHz, both of them.
- May as well go with ~667 MIPS if you're going to give that to the others, note this is a maximum, not an average.
- On that note, MMSP2+ can't get 700+ MIPS, it isn't superscalar. Maximum is 660.
- DS has lots of other little pieces of memory floating around: 32KB of ITCM, 16KB of DTCM, 32KB of shared IWRAM, 64KB of ARM7 IWRAM, 656KB of VRAM, 2KB of palette, 2KB of OAM.. all of this in addition to the 4MB of main RAM.
- PSP slim has 64MB of main RAM. Both models have another 2MB of eDRAM in addition to the 2 you cited (for the media engine). Neither are relevant for commercial games but could be for homebrew (if the Slim gets exploited, and there's reason to hope there)
- DS does NOT have a VFPU. PSP, on the other hand, does. DS does have some builtin matrix math functionality in the 3D hardware but it's fixed point and not very programmable.
- 30,000 polygons per sec for GP2X is incredibly.. ungenerous. I believe even 32x was rated higher than that and its CPUs were much worse than GP2X's. I'd be surprised if Payback doesn't push more than that.
- You shouldn't be too hard on PSP's audio jack considering it does come with an adapter (well, value pack did, not so sure about the core pack..) Not so sure about the slim PSP...
- Slim PSP weighs 33% less than the current one.

Thanks for the info.

-I'll add, thanks.
-Maybe it's best to just delete this section. it doesn't mean much if the only info I get is from wikipedia and datasheets.
-again...
-Maybe too much infomation for this.
-Oops, forgot to increase the RAM when I decreased the weight. thanks.
-You're right. I meant to add VPU. I remember the 3D accelerator being called a Vertex Process Unit.
-Wanna offer another number you have proof about. I remember a thread where 30,00 was offered as the possible potential.
-OK, I'll remove the word crap. I had one of the first PSPs. (Japanese import) and it didn't come with an adaptor.
-Thanks, already added.

Thanks again for the information.

Squidge said:
invinciblegod said:
Blah said:
Hmm... your chart is all misaligned on my browser (FF 2.0.0.6 Linux/i686)
Thats why opera rules.

Works fine here on FF 2.0.0.6 WinXP/i686. Must be Linux that sucks ;)

Considering that firefox uses its own rendering engine, I wonder why the OS would do anything. Oh well.

About the new Handheld of Doom™, I will it also have an analog nub like thing? I know it already has a Dpad. Also, has exactly does ARM9 architecture compare to RISC? Both are supposed to be efficient so I always wondered.

Squidge said:
invinciblegod said:
Blah said:
Hmm... your chart is all misaligned on my browser (FF 2.0.0.6 Linux/i686)
Thats why opera rules.

Works fine here on FF 2.0.0.6 WinXP/i686. Must be Linux that sucks ;)

Seriously, I'm running both Windows and Linux, and I can't get the fonts to display properly in Linux, it's just ugly. :(

invinciblegod said:
About the new Handheld of Doom™, I will it also have an analog nub like thing? I know it already has a Dpad. Also, has exactly does ARM9 architecture compare to RISC? Both are supposed to be efficient so I always wondered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture -> ARM9 is a RISC processor. The GP2X also uses a ARM9 cpu.

Back