New Gp2x F-200

P-J said:
What use is a touchscreen? It's not like you can use it as a PDA with no internal clock and it isn't exactly going to be able to emulate NDS. So it's pretty useless for my money.
I don't think adding the touch screen is useless. If you only use the Gp2x for console emulation you're probably right, but I think it is a major improvement.

Things you could do when devs implement them:

Gmenu2x would be even better
Bejeweled kinda games (tilematch)
Scummvm
Mouse emulation for Atari-ST and Amiga !
Text entering in general will be made much easier for all old pc emulators
Text adventures (zipce)
PDA games conversions

If there was no gp3x anounced I would have bought it without a doubt. Now I will see what will happen in the next few months and make up my mind later.
For new users this is fabulous news, the gp2x is not dead yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda praying my First Edition packs in so I have an excuse to get one...
Or that someone (*wink wink*) recognises me as a dev with some potential and donates me one... maybe I'm still too low-key for that though :p

Gadget said:
the main problem with the GP2X is / was battery life.
Yes, thats my opinion to. A mobile handheld device stays and falls with the battery life. I think its the 3. most important factor behind Software and Hardware. Imagine 2 nearly similar Handhelds, one with 10 Hours of battery life, another with 5 hours of battery life, which one we buy? :)

I also prefer a "real" D-Pad and not such an seperated 4-piece thing on the F-200 (which seems to be much much better than the old stick at all ) And with D-Pad I don't mean such an crappy cross-shaped thing, I mean a real PAD, wich means a round disc where you can push directly the diagonals and I'm sure this is not patended like the Nintendo Cross-shape.

bah... now I don't know what the hell to get! Should I get the community designed device or the gp2x F200? I surely won't have money for both... damn. I bet they just did this because they realised they would lose their customers to the gp3x as they fucked up in the past!

I finally registered here when I saw this. Unfortunately, it seems like another miss. :(
fusion_power said:
I also prefer a "real" D-Pad and not such an seperated 4-piece thing on the F-200 (which seems to be much much better than the old stick at all ) And with D-Pad I don't mean such an crappy cross-shaped thing, I mean a real PAD, wich means a round disc where you can push directly the diagonals and I'm sure this is not patended like the Nintendo Cross-shape.
I'm in complete disagreement. The problem with most circular pads is that it's much easier to mess up and do a diagonal when you mean to press one of the four basic directions. Diagonals, on the other hand, are just as easy to do on a cross-shaped pad. There are a FEW companies that have made decent circular-shaped d-pads (like Sega and the now-defunct Interact), but if Microsoft has screwed it up time after time, then I sure as hell can't trust GamePark Holdings to do a good job, especially considering the botched designs they've had up to the present.

Anyway, this d-pad on this thing looks atrocious. Add in the fact that they still haven't figured out that a 21st century portable console needs a rechargeable battery and the fact that they're not improving the utility of the dual processors, and we have yet another potentially great homebrew console that's really a big screwup. They ought to just buy up the rights to the XGP mini and release that.

This will flop.

#1. Minor software enhancements mean nothing.
(I already have apps which do that, and the games...heck I'll d/l em later)

#2. Touchscreen is nice, but as most of us will keep the F100 I think only a handful of games will ever really use it -- plus ScummVM and the Amiga emulators.
#3. No improvements to the CPU, RAM, NAND or any other meaningful upgrades.
#4. Likely the same old flawed layout with DC connector and USB on the sides.
#5. Battery light? (when It worked, it was useful)
#6. D-pad.... the circular shape worries me... possibility of a screwed up D-pad...argh!

So it really boils down to:

Do you want to pay $200 again for the D-pad and touchscreen?

The answer will be; not likely.

xnopasaranx said:
I bet they just did this because they realised they would lose their customers to the gp3x as they fucked up in the past!
Such comments never cease to amaze me ... I know GPH is a small company, but do you think they really care *so* much about a bunch of geeks that are make themselves excited about a device that did not exist yet :lol: ? C'mon guys, wake up, this is a small company, and anyway they probably only care about the korean market ... Unless you think the gp3x will hit the korean market at the end of this year ? :rolleyes:

Eyedunno said:
Anyway, this d-pad on this thing looks atrocious. Add in the fact that they still haven't figured out that a 21st century portable console needs a rechargeable battery and the fact that they're not improving the utility of the dual processors, and we have yet another potentially great homebrew console that's really a big screwup. They ought to just buy up the rights to the XGP mini and release that.
Maybe we should try the pad before deciding. It might suck, or it may be very good. I can't know unless I test it.

It has a rechargeable battery if you buy them, they are just standard and not some custom made hard to get thing.

Oh yeah they should release the mini. Some tiny tiny cramped little thing with a headache inducing 2" screen. That would be wonderful :rolleyes:

Like a lot of people said: I believe that could do a lot better than that! And perhaps they even did that but we don't know it yet.

First of all would be a +5vdc signal to usb, not much trouble since somebody else already found a +5vdc signal inside gp2x and installed a fully-functional usb host
Then there's the battery holster, it only needs a fu***ng spring like any cheap electronic else
And they could also fit 4xAA instead of 2xAA and everybody who were complaining about battery life would stop

Not talking about complex additions like wifi,bluetooth or and new faster cpu.. (which I would rather choose instead of TS)

I really wonder why GP keep ignoring their costumers, but I'm glad they at least solved the joystick issue

Deed said:
Such comments never cease to amaze me ... I know GPH is a small company, but do you think they really care *so* much about a bunch of geeks that are make themselves excited about a device that did not exist yet :lol: ? C'mon guys, wake up, this is a small company, and anyway they probably only care about the korean market ... Unless you think the gp3x will hit the korean market at the end of this year ? :rolleyes:
I think you really ought to stop commenting until you actually understand the GP2X 'scene'. The Korean market is next to non-existent. Koreans don't tend to play the kinds of games the GP2X runs it seems. And as I said before, it does exist - you must be sulking for some reason about this fact. And this bunch of geeks happens to be what keeps GPH alive.

Orkie said:
(...) And this bunch of geeks happens to be what keeps GPH alive.
I guess GPH hopes to convince new customers to buy this new GP2X (which after all, if available in October, will still be a good alternative to the ds and psp as it was two years ago), rather than convince old customers who already own a mk2 or mk1 to buy this new mk3 (although some of them, like me, who own an old first edition , may be interested anyway). Especially if a portion of these old customers made up some sort of secret society whose goal is to bring a new comptetitor on the market if I understood well ...

DisgruntleElf said:
The touchscreen ability will give it the versatility of a PDA. Looks like my Zodiac's gonna get shelved.
unless they've also included a real time clock, the PDA functionality is going to be quite limited!

b_o_b said:
Gadget said:
the main problem with the GP2X is / was battery life.
I think everybody has got its "main problem". I really didn't care about the battery life at all, also the cap didn't bother me that much on my mk-2. It will be very hard to make a device that satisfies all customers.

Imo the new gp2x will undoubtably be the best retro-homebrew/emulator gaming device in the market, only question is for how long :)

my thoughts exactly.

which is why i'd love to know a little clearer what the progress is like on the system that's in development, so i can make a better decision of whether or not to buy this. i've had my mk1 for a long time and have no qualms about going for an "upgrade".

but if the new device is actually going to be out by early next year, that makes the f200 less useful to me. but given that gbax and ambiguity go hand in hand, and all distros have a vested interest in people buying both machines, i'm not actually expecting to hear such information.

i guess the best thing is to (in my case) just wait for 6 months or so, see what's being sold and what people's opinions are. i hope the f200 is nice, though, it will be cool to see how it's received.

andyB911 said:
Especially as sales of th 100 had effectively dried up.
yeah, craig had said that. but then i think ed said he wasn't experiencing that? so who knows. the fact that everyone keeps repeating it doesn't make it true. at least, i hope it's not true, it'd be bad for the distributors if it was.

Back