New Gp2x F-200

Only just noticed this today, interesting!

The touchscreen is a nice feature and could make for some interesting game interactions (like DS) as well a be a good analogue for emulators that require a mouse.

I'd hope the CPUs are clocked higher than the f100 just for the extra value.

The Dpad; Ive never had an issue with the f100 stick, but a change is good even though this will break apps that use the stick button. At least GPH is listening to the community, they could have easily done nothing at all, like many other companies.

It'd be a nice gesture for GPH to provide the devs of the bundled software, with free/discounted units. Quality bundled software such as Cave Story is going to be good for first impressions of the unit, that should be rewarded.

I wonder why the batt LED is gone, (on screen batt monitor?)

All in all, I like it. I'm not sure yet if its enough to make me re-buy a GP2X, but at least the f200 offers some additional function and features over the f100. Nintendo have gotten away with providing a lot less (DS->DSlite). ;o)

Well done GPH for injecting a bit more life into the GP2X brand.

I got up this morning and noticed a news update from Play-Asia about the new GP2X, and I think my interest has been revived. Recently I decided I wouldn't bother getting one since I just bought a Wii and am going to buy a Neo1973 this October, so between them both I should be able to emulate all the games I need.

But being able to use a touch screen will be awesome. ScummVM was horrible on the DS because of the tiny screen. I can't wait to try it out on the new GP2X. But if it isn't backwards compatible, I think I'll have to cry.

Touch screen is very nice. Don't think this will justify buying one when there is the gp3x coming.
If it hasn't got a sustainable internal clock I don't think I will bother.

Of course the most important thing is what the majority of devs will do, will they wait for the gp3x or buy this new toy.

Wow, isn't this a little late?? I mean, the sales have dropped off and NOT because it doesn't have a touch screen or dpad? If you ask me, the main problem with the GP2X is / was battery life. Everyone I showed mine to wanted one right up until I mentioned the battery life. The control stick I can live with even though it is crap, but I have an 'issue' with touch screens... They get scratched, it's part and parcel of the way they work. The plastic type pen tip starts to scratch in places over a very short period of time.

Just got a new PocketPC and within 2 weeks there are 2 scratches on what was a gorgeous screen!

I don't think I will be buying this model, unless it has better battery life - I could ignore the touchscreen side of things I suppose... As a few people have already pointed out, they are flogging a dead horse!

I just got an OpenMoko NEO1973 cell phone .. in my opinion, the GP2X has gotta start competing with this toy or its going to be all over. As it is the NEO1973 is pretty close to being ideal, albeit for the fact that it doesn't have game controls onboard - not a problem, as USB Host and Device is pretty well supported on the NEO1973, and there are already people designing joystick clipon accessories for it ..

Sure will be an interesting year for Open Source based hardware projects, anyway.

Gadget said:
the main problem with the GP2X is / was battery life.
I think everybody has got its "main problem". I really didn't care about the battery life at all, also the cap didn't bother me that much on my mk-2. It will be very hard to make a device that satisfies all customers.

Imo the new gp2x will undoubtably be the best retro-homebrew/emulator gaming device in the market, only question is for how long :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gadget said:
Wow, isn't this a little late?? I mean, the sales have dropped off and NOT because it doesn't have a touch screen or dpad? If you ask me, the main problem with the GP2X is / was battery life. Everyone I showed mine to wanted one right up until I mentioned the battery life. The control stick I can live with even though it is crap, but I have an 'issue' with touch screens... They get scratched, it's part and parcel of the way they work. The plastic type pen tip starts to scratch in places over a very short period of time.

Just got a new PocketPC and within 2 weeks there are 2 scratches on what was a gorgeous screen!

I don't think I will be buying this model, unless it has better battery life - I could ignore the touchscreen side of things I suppose... As a few people have already pointed out, they are flogging a dead horse!

Get a screen protector then, the touchpad will still work. I've always used one on a PDA no problem.

torpor said:
I just got an OpenMoko NEO1973 cell phone ..
Wow, I'm jealous ;)

torpor said:
in my opinion, the GP2X has gotta start competing with this toy or its going to be all over. As it is the NEO1973 is pretty close to being ideal, albeit for the fact that it doesn't have game controls onboard - not a problem, as USB Host and Device is pretty well supported on the NEO1973, and there are already people designing joystick clipon accessories for it ..
I'm surely going to buy the neo1973. The missing game controls (and a smaller screen I guess) are making it not suited as a complete gaming phone for me, so I will need another device for that. Of course it will be pretty good for games like bejeweled.

torpor said:
Sure will be an interesting year for Open Source based hardware projects, anyway.
Very interesting indeed.

torpor said:
I just got an OpenMoko NEO1973 cell phone .. in my opinion, the GP2X has gotta start competing with this toy or its going to be all over. As it is the NEO1973 is pretty close to being ideal, albeit for the fact that it doesn't have game controls onboard - not a problem, as USB Host and Device is pretty well supported on the NEO1973, and there are already people designing joystick clipon accessories for it ..

Lets see what history has taught us about cellphone/gaming

pic2.jpg

B) Taco talking cell phones were cool

cowai said:
I hope none of us buys it and supports craigs new machine instead. For me, GPH have had their chance.
I know where you are coming from but I think your intentions are mis-guided....

If you really want to see Craig's machine, you should hope that this gp2.5x is a success and lots of people buy it from Craig. Creating a new machine is very difficult on the cashflow... you need to spend a lot now hoping to make money in the future. Just ask GPH - thats what killed the XGP trying to develop with no income.

So if this gives Craig the cashflow to continue working on the 3x then this is great news. Especially as sales of th 100 had effectively dried up.

I'm lucky enough to have a DaveC pad, but if I didn't I'd certainly be getting one.

I'm all for innovation and new ideas, but a D-Pad and a touch screen is not going to do it for me, certainly not to upgrade from my current GP2X Mk II (my second GP2X). I admit I've not read all this thread, but I don't see how a couple of minor features are suddenly going to make the DS/PSP/non-decided crowd think it's a must-have console and revive the scene.

Something with more power /3d capabilities would sell me, though. How many times have you used an emulator and thought, with some more processing power behind it that would be perfect (aside from extreme overclocking and therefore major battery life drain).

I love gmenu2x and I would like to see this integrated and enhanced, so there is no endless fiddling around with scripts...overclocking, etc.

I also think the gp2x cradle is great, despite its ... err.. design issues. Any new console be it another GP2X or a totally evolved gp3x etc needs to have great software out of the box, to really show off its features, _and_ ease of use. In an ideal world all the computer emulators would have USB support (mmm Amiga). Not _just_ retro emulators/games - but also forward thinking.

The gp2x is probably the most used handheld console I've had over the years. But for me it needs a BIG step forward before I decide to purchase the next in line. And...I will when the right one comes along :)

OK that's me done!

kelulo said:
I'm all for innovation and new ideas, but a D-Pad and a touch screen is not going to do it for me, certainly not to upgrade from my current GP2X Mk II .
etc..
I agree!! :)

EDIT: I KNOW WHAT IT NEEDS!!
wifi!
not really for internets but local playing against friends and then I'm sold

I don`t think they could have changed anything directional wise, As they are bundling
"various in-built games: Blocked, GhostPix, Cavestory, Phishy, Ruck-Man, SQdef" without the coders permission, So the software (games) must be unchanged (codewise), Which must indicate that nothing has changed regarding the polling of the stick.

Yeah, and if they've changed it, that's no problem, either. Just give the devs a brand-new F200 for free and they get their needed changes :p.

I agree with a lot of people here. A touchscreen and d-pad will not make me buy a whole new GP2X which is essentially the same as the one I have.

What use is a touchscreen? It's not like you can use it as a PDA with no internal clock and it isn't exactly going to be able to emulate NDS. So it's pretty useless for my money.

The D-pad is too little too late, I'll be waiting for the handheld that has been dubbed the 'GP3X' on these boards.

Also, if there are big changes meaning a lack of compatibility between the F100 and F200, I'll be selling my unit and getting a PSP.

I, for one, still have the old MK I version so i will be getting the new MK 3 update.

As for the comment about the PvP (Blood Cross) possibly meaning multiplayer action.

Well I think that means the style of game (like Street Fighter rather than Streets Of Rage, for example).

And I suppose multi tasking is always useful!

Back