New Gp2x F-200

The touchscreen ability will give it the versatility of a PDA. Looks like my Zodiac's gonna get shelved. I hope it is solidly constructed without any loose parts everyone's been complaining about lately.

This F-200 is a big surprise for me. I had no clue and today, I was on the GamesConvention2007 they had the normal black well known gp2x on the booth (It was ED's 2006 5-GP2X installation) And I showed my own GP2X proud to the mass ^^
Hm, this new Handheld-Update looks very nice and clean, the D-Pad is a little bit to "buttonish" for my tast, I prefer "real" one-piece (round) pads but the Touchscreen is the burner I think. The F-200 kills a part of the GP2X F-100 I think because now everyone will make touchscreen-optimized Software and a pad/stick never has a chance against a touchscreen.
But I still will love my normal F-100 2. edition GP2X. :) Even since I can turn my stick 360° :lol:

I really do not understand why people are complaining that much on this forum. GPH developped a new mode and that is nice. People were not happy with the stick of th f100, now here is the f200 with the dpad and a touch screen, and what happens? people feel abondened by GPH.

... I have a slight feeling that this is somehow strange

Touchscreen? some possibilities here:
  1. New PCB (In which case boo!!, there should be VGA and support for 4x NiMH OR Li-Ion)
  2. Same PCB (Good, that means the D-Pad is a mod and the touchscreen can be retro-fit too)
  3. VGA?? (I want my RGB, progressive Scan and HD modes, the Conexant chip supports all this and more, give us the outputs, this is a seriously hampered console).
  4. Remove the entire USB 2.0 chip and bundle a card reader, or fix it to work properly. The USB 1.1 internal to the MMSP2+ is more than sufficient for the data moving that the USB is used for now, and the $3 Led Shoppe reader is lightning fast, and cheaper on the already over-taxed battery.
Ugh, something that should have been released before I bought my 2nd and 3rd GP2X's. AKA this is what the MK2 should have been.

This MK3 GP2X should have VGA/SCART/YPrPb/Progressive Scan. 2 more wires would suffice for all that.

Onboard USB. Once again, a re-design of the board can put the USB next to the SD (Or two USB, one each side), for just a couple wires.

3X AA minimum for power, 4x minimum for USB, and of course, make Li-Ion an on-board option for hackers or a high-end (read: expensive) model.

Ugh. GP3X/Craigix's mystery machine, please come out and put the hurting on the "design" of these piss-poor consoles.

I am still tempted to buy one, if it can maintain the current $210 price after shipping from Play-Asia that the "Value" F-100 has I will want it bad.

Like I say, middle of last year was the time for this, now it MUST have USB and a real battery system to even think of competing. Seriously, at the level of handiness the scene has with a soldering Iron, a few well-placed solder pads and a resistor swap to enable Li-Ion and USB onboard would go a long way. The distro places could easily sell pre-modded stuff with the Li-Ion and USB, or you could do it on your own.

Ironic that GPH takes free software everywhere they can, yet refuse to exploit free hardware during all these PCB changes :wacko: .

Orkie said:
Deed said:
I'm amazed that so many guys are waiting for this "3x" which exists only in their mind at this moment :p I guess last year they were waiting for the xgp :D
And what exactly do you know about the "3x"? Nothing? Exactly.

Well, it seems that nobody knows anything about this fantastic project, except craigix and maybe some other few folks that share some secrets that us, simple mortals, are not allowed to know except some spare details that their majesties are kind enough to give us from time to time, when they are in a good mood :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about it, this is actually a great development for the potential software for the 3x in due course.

Why?

It means that, given the new machine should be a matter of "recompile, works", if what we know is correct, we won't have to wait very long for the programs for it to have good touchscreen interfaces, since they'll alrteady (at leas in potentia) have been developed for this machine!

Not going to mean I buy one, but at least I can see a point to it from the point of view of even better software when the craigulator eventually comes out.

New here, and to my GP2X, but I'm going to agree this is a bit annoying to read, since I just bought the thing. If anything, I would KILL for a D-Pad on my current GP2X, and hearing that this model has that, AND a touch screen(just like my much loved/hated Zodiac II...which I disliked the analog controller on as well).

My view is, despite being new, this thing should have always had a D-Pad to begin with. If you look at what the uses are for the GP32 and later basically the selling point and reason to own a GP2X(least in my opinion anyway), one begins to wonder why in the hell they went with an analog control method, when the handheld is open source and expecting a large number of retro kickbacks or emulators.

Fortunately, I'm new, and I really can't be that annoyed...because the GP2X is a great handheld console, and was worth buying. Hell, at this moment my co-worker is playing "Donkey Kong" on GPFCE, and is absolutely addicted. He's been at it all day, only taking a break here and there. So while the analog does annoy me slighty, you can get over it, and instantly see the GP2X is a must have handheld, that does it's job very well, and the appeal to play the games and use whatever peaks my interest was enough to merrit the purchase, and it's giving me more bang for my buck then anything else, and this is the SECOND day I've had mine.

I'm sure I'll buy the next one when it comes out, but in the meantime, I'm very happy to hear about a version with these new features, and very happy to wait and enjoy the GP2X I waited FOREVER to own in the first place.

chaos engineer said:
I really do not understand why people are complaining that much on this forum. GPH developped a new mode and that is nice. People were not happy with the stick of th f100, now here is the f200 with the dpad and a touch screen, and what happens? people feel abondened by GPH.

... I have a slight feeling that this is somehow strange
They felt abandoned by GPH already, now they are feeling betrayed.

GPH could have done this a year ago for the MK2, and now that they even did it after ignoring all the hundreds (Thousands?!?) of complaints, and after everyone had to use the MK2 all this time and spend money is lousy.

If they do it at all, add 7-8 lines to the PCB and give us 480p output and SCART and USB inside, and even a switch to let us run a 5-volt battery pack with 4x AA or Li-Ion (less than $1 per console for all of that, and I would pay $15-20 more, that is a damn profit!! :angry: :angry: )

Honestly it is not asking too much, just on-board USB and the option for RGB/VGA/Scart, for only pennies it should have been done a long time ago.

ruckage said:
TheMinder said:
Wonder if they had the courtesy to ask the devs concerned about using their output ?
No. Would be nice if if they let the featured devs have a free unit at least since they're using our games to promote it (one of those featured devs being me :p ) though I won't hold my breath.

This really shits me (GPH's attitude to devs).

I didn't mean to rant earlier if that's what it sounded like. However, I do have my reservations though with the news of this device. I'm going to share my opinions on this now and some of them will be frank.

First of all, this device will be dead in the water by the time it's released. Even if the GP3X is released in winter 2008, the F-200 will have a shelf life of about a year. I like the design, but what's the point now?

Touchscreen is nice, but no developers will be able to utilize something they don't have. We all know GP2X will be all but abandonded by developers once the GP3X is released. This feature will amount to little. Even if this system were to address other faults of the GP2X, in the long-term, it would still mean nothing.

I don't see why GPH would make this available in limited quantites only, meaning they expect it to last for a while. I guess that means GPH is listening, albeit in their own way. Who's to say GPH isn't cooking up their own successor to the GP2X right now?

It seems to me like the GP2X distrbutors are arranging a coup, and we as the community are caught in the crossfire. Actually, it sounds a lot like the split GPH made from Gamepark..

All this is fine though EXCEPT for the fact that the distributors are basically saying, "we no longer agree with GPH's decisions, but please, buy the F-200, then kill off GPH and buy our new system in a few months." ???????

I wish I had wads of cash so I could support both systems, but I don't.. so what is going on? Really.

Deed said:
You're all so naive about this gp3x, it's really touching.
No, as I said before, you are ignorant about it.

Orkie said:
Deed said:
You're all so naive about this gp3x, it's really touching.
No, as I said before, you are ignorant about it.

Ignorant and sceptic :) But I'm sure you will prove me wrong by showing us something that will actually prove us that gp3x exists somewhere else than in your dreams ;) (btw I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong in this case)

FYI, Blood Cross was a 2D - Beat'em up that was in development for the GP32 early in its life. Two demos were released, showing off the game's great graphics and realistic gameplay. Even though the development seemed to be in a very advanced stage, it was frozen, but never officially cancelled.

Deed said:
Ignorant and sceptic :) But I'm sure you will prove me wrong by showing us something that will actually prove us that gp3x exists somewhere else than in your dreams ;) (btw I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong in this case)
You'll just have to trust me - I am not 'hoping' or speculating, I know that the 'GP3X' exists.

If the pic on Engadget today is correct, since when are four buttons considered a "D-pad"?? A pad should not be 4 separate buttons, but 1 PAD which you can roll your finger over. I HATE the 4 button design of my PSP.

Is anyone with me?? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!!! :)

dcpmark said:
If the pic on Engadget today is correct, since when are four buttons considered a "D-pad"?? A pad should not be 4 separate buttons, but 1 PAD which you can roll your finger over. I HATE the 4 button design of my PSP.

Is anyone with me?? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!!! :)
1 pad which you can roll your finger over is patented, so people have to think of alternative designs or pay license and royalty fees. Is a dpad of that description that important to you?

Back